Anyone else sick of burning wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The nice thing for you, Farmermike, is that your being sick of cutting wood coincides with being able to afford gas. Much better than being sick of woodcutting but stuck with it. Enjoy your rest. :cheers:

Jack

Thanks for all the replies. Like I said my furnace works great. It's a charmaster wood oil combo. It's alot better wood burner than oil burner. They still sell the exact same furnace. Mine was put in 1978. Previous owner did it right, heat runs and cold air returns are spot on. I don't think it will ever wear out. The fuel oil part is real inefficent. The book says 70percent, but I doubt it. The nice part is when the fire gets low the fuel gun turns on, so I never have a cold house. I'm using around 200 gallons just in the fall, spring and on real cold nights it'l kick on around five in the morning. I think if I spend alittle more money on propane it would go along way. I'll still have the flexibility of using either furnace. Like I said if I could get by on five cords or so I could live with that. My time is limited and rarely have any help. I do have good equipment, thats not the issue. I have a loader tractor, a nice splitter and good saws. I do agree with everyone on one thing, it IS great excercise. In the day of paying to go the gym to get exercise it is a much better way of doing it. I am fortunate that I can finally afford the propane. When I first bought this place that wasn't an option. I already know how it will go, I'll put the propane furnace in and after get the first big bill I will get off of my arse and get after it. Thanks again for all the replies and I hope everyone has a MERRY CHRISTMAS!

When the oilman cameth a couple weeks ago, he topped us off. Only burnt 96 gallons all last winter - had to pay for 100 gallons actually, which is their minimum delivery amount.

you did have them put the other 4 gallons in a bucket--right????

Worked the woodpile as a kid until leaving for the service. 21 years later couldn't wait to get back to it. 74 now and out there at least once a week cutting and hauling. Got way more than what I need currently but am building a stock for 'retirement' if I get too beat up to cut anymore. I have asked to be buried with at least one saw so I can cut up the coffin to stoke the devil's fire with. Just finished sharpign 3 saws with temps in the mid 20s. Plan to go out again on Saturday if the cold weather holds.

Some people think I am nuts. The rest are sure of it.

Harry K

dont tell em any diff!!!!!! good on ya!!

I think maybe I'm getting burned out. It's not so much the burning wood, I love the heat it gives off, as it is all the work involved. I've been heating my house for 17 years with wood. Before that is was the folks house. I'm not getting any younger and its alot more work than it used to be. My time is limited and it seems every spare moment is spent cutting wood in the fall. I'm thinking of having an lp furnace installed for next year. The gov't rebate thing has helped to make up my mind. I'm not going to completely quit burning wood but it would be nice to burn it when I want not the other way around. I can afford the lp, thats not the issue. I've been cutting wood for so long it would seem weird to not have to depend on it. I would still heat my shop with wood and house during jan and feb, and imagine in no time I would have a five year supply for that. To only have to cut four or five cord a year would make it seem fun. I've got plenty of easy cutting so thats not the problem. Anybody else go through this. I have thought of just buying the wood but that isn't done much around hear. Would like to hear what you guys think. Thanks

i know what you mean, man. i often get the same feeling as i'm not getting younger either and most often i'm doing all the climbing, cutting, hauling splitting and stacking by myself.

years ago it was fun and a good way to keep in shape, but as i get closer to 60, i find i'm not a flexible as i was was..lol and i feel it more the next day.

rest assured you younger guys will be here some day thinking the same thing....it's guaranteed....lol...see you then.

My suggestion is to build yourself some sort of a solar heater. I recently added a solar hot air heater that I made myself. It's a great compliment to heating with wood. When the sun is out, my collector will heat our house. Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of sunny days in central NY, but every little bit counts. It has already taken a dent out of my wood use and beats the heck out of burning oil. For ideas, check out :

http://www.builditsolar.com/index.htm

and

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/SimplySolar/

Perhaps some day when I am ole!

I quit using the furnace to heat my house when I was paying $$$ to heat with propane and I was still always cold. It's great exercise cutting, splitting and stacking wood. It's a tad messy, but it's really nice to sit out on my deck on a cold day and smell the smells of the forest and wood burning.. kinda like camping out. When I get to ole... I will consider using the furnance again.

I think maybe I'm getting burned out. It's not so much the burning wood, I love the heat it gives off, as it is all the work involved. I've been heating my house for 17 years with wood. Before that is was the folks house. I'm not getting any younger and its alot more work than it used to be. My time is limited and it seems every spare moment is spent cutting wood in the fall. I'm thinking of having an lp furnace installed for next year. The gov't rebate thing has helped to make up my mind. I'm not going to completely quit burning wood but it would be nice to burn it when I want not the other way around. I can afford the lp, thats not the issue. I've been cutting wood for so long it would seem weird to not have to depend on it. I would still heat my shop with wood and house during jan and feb, and imagine in no time I would have a five year supply for that. To only have to cut four or five cord a year would make it seem fun. I've got plenty of easy cutting so thats not the problem. Anybody else go through this. I have thought of just buying the wood but that isn't done much around hear. Would like to hear what you guys think. Thanks

I think you should do what makes you happy.

Cuttin, splitten, haulin, and stackin is a lot of work. I like doing it when I feel like it, not if I have to.

I quit using the furnace to heat my house when I was paying $$$ to heat with propane and I was still always cold. It's great exercise cutting, splitting and stacking wood.

<snip>

Yep. I was out today on the woodpile. Sunny, no wind, 24* splitting stacking a smallload of locust I brought home a few days ago. I got spoiled running my splitter this summer and decided to do it manually again. Didn't realize how out of shape I had gotten from just wriggling that little lever ;).

It always amazes me how Black Locust splits so easy...well, except for getting a wedge started to begin with - they do like to bounce right out.

Harry K

felt like it a few times . when ever I go to someone else house that had other heat always felt cold . hey take your coat off nope I.am good . a whiff of wood smoke a little two stroke oil .total forget about being sick of burning . getting close to thirty years with no back up heat . about ten year stock pile . can,t get sick of it

Like others have said, if I didn't enjoy the work behind it I would find other ways to scrounge up some extra cash for the gas bill. I also like to support my CAD with my fuel savings and wood sales.
I love the heat I get from burning wood, but would love to have a unit outside. I don't like having wood burning when I'm not home, but with as many hours as I have been working- I do anyway.

If Cap and trade goes through or the EPA follows up with thier threats, Oil and Propane are gonna go off the charts in costs.

Even if ya do get sick of burning, stock piling a couple years worth of cord wood is just plain old fashioned common sense.

The fools in D.C. can control the prices and taxes, but would have to go door to door to control how ya heat your home with wood.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

If Cap and trade goes through or the EPA follows up with thier threats, Oil and Propane are gonna go off the charts in costs.

Even if ya do get sick of burning, stock piling a couple years worth of cord wood is just plain old fashioned common sense.

The fools in D.C. can control the prices and taxes, but would have to go door to door to control how ya heat your home with wood.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

In this situation, I'd also stockpile securely. I've heard a lot about wood thiefs these last few years, even my neighbor has taken some of mine (they got foreclosed on, sad...).

Tes

Biggest thing I hate about heating with wood? Getting the urge to get up and go get some! Like today 31F outside, supposed to get upto 35F. Of course, that is in the city and I'll be out in the woods, so knock 5F off of that. Getting motiviated is the issue, once there you have to stay warm so you work and move about, end up taking jackets off etc due to being to warm.

As my Dad was telling me the otherday, "When you were little, you hated camping, you hated helping around the house until you started doing it, then you loved it."

Motivation I tell'ya. Once you get over that initial hurdle, it is all good!

Tes

Back