Anyone else sick of burning wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got home from taking in 3 wheelbarrow loads of wood into an 84yr old ladies house. She had 120ac that we keep some horses on, so I like to help her out when I can. Every time I bring wood in for her, she's thankful, but reminds me she can do it herself. The kicker is, she's in a wheelchair. Before, when she needed wood in the house, she'd wheel out to the stack and pull a few pieces down w/ a broke-handled garden hoe. She'd put what she could in her lap and wheel it in the house. She did this numerous times until she had enough to last for a few days. She has enough money to heat w/ other means, but she likes wood and she's willing to do what she has to do to use it. I almost laughed this fall when I brought her a load a wood. She told me if I brought lenghts, she could saw it up and split it. She's living proof that going is living, and sitting is dying.
My family has burned wood since before I was born. The only time I didn't was when I moved into an apartment at college and didn't have the option. Now I have a new house and an OWB that I stoke once in the morning and once at night. I love being able to keep the house as warm as my wife wants it, and never worry about how much the next gas bill will be. A few hours in the woods is great therapy for me, as well as good exercise.

Not sick of it yet.

But ask me when I'm on the snow covered and Icy roof again tomorrow.
Stupid spark screen clogged up on me.

I'll bet everything else is clean though.

I figure 12-14 more weeks of burning left.
Not bad.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thankfully not tired of it a bit. Only thing I'm tired of is not being out cutting. I just hate to slog around in knee deep snow so I don't cut in the winter.

Still not sick of it. Still love it. But I'm young and dumb I guess. I only wish I was at home more to enjoy it. Worked a 13 hr day yesterday... bleh.

Thankfully not tired of it a bit. Only thing I'm tired of is not being out cutting. I just hate to slog around in knee deep snow so I don't cut in the winter.

I'll drink to that.....was supposed to get 2 teeth extracted yesterday, took off work, oral surgeon has the flu, cancelled all appts. So, I spent the rest of the day cutting/splitting, was nice out, 42 deg., sunny....good day for body and soul.

Heck, thats the best time! Saps down, no mosquitos, black flies, gnats, yellow jackets, or poison ivy! The wood stays up out of the dirt and you don"t work up such a sweat. You just need a toy to help you out. My favorite is a '55 John Deere 420 crawler loader I traded for in the 70s. It's pretty light and only 60" wide so you can sneak around without damaging the woods. Even if you don't buy, I find it rather relaxing to scheme about work saving devices while I'm cutting!

Heck, thats the best time! Saps down, no mosquitos, black flies, gnats, yellow jackets, or poison ivy! The wood stays up out of the dirt and you don"t work up such a sweat. You just need a toy to help you out. My favorite is a '55 John Deere 420 crawler loader I traded for in the 70s. It's pretty light and only 60" wide so you can sneak around without damaging the woods. Even if you don't buy, I find it rather relaxing to scheme about work saving devices while I'm cutting!

:agree2:

Reading all the whines about "winter" is fun, especially from the rebs from Arkansas, The Virginias, Tennessee. :monkey: "Oh my god, it's down to 40 F !!" Get the kids in. Why would anyone want to suffer :cry: wet armpits, soggy crotch, bugs, trenchfeet, vipers ?? :confused: ALL the harvesting is done in winter here. Snow ? It's part of the landscape. You try to work WITH it: no ground to hit with the chain, quiet in the woods, soft landings for felling, simple skidding. Sure, it is some PITA sometimes. BUTT --What more could you want ?:cheers:

Besides, our Maine woods are too soft and mushy in summer to get around. At least we don't have those southern vipers. :clap:

Tired yet? Nah. I like this time of year. With months of winter weather behind me, I'm fully acclimated. Today's 4° felt on the skin like 30° did back in November. That, and the days are a little longer now, so the season's not a gloomy as it was back a month ago.

This past week was sorta weird. Got up into the 30s everyday - and the relative humidity was pretty high, so it felt even warmer. Had to shuttle off to one side my good deep winter beech and oak to nab armloads of the inferior stuff. Didn't have to, but it just seems like a waste to be burning stuff ideal for single digits when temps feel like late fall.

I start to get a little tired of it around the end of February, but then by October I am chomping at the bit to start a fire. It sure makes it a lot easier and less stressful if you have at least 2 years worth cut split and stacked in advance.

I start to get a little tired of it around the end of February, but then by October I am chomping at the bit to start a fire. It sure makes it a lot easier and less stressful if you have at least 2 years worth cut split and stacked in advance.

That's saying something in NW Wisconsin!
Go Vikes!

It would be kinda hard to justify my saws if I didn't cut wood, so NO, I'm not sick of it.

Actually I really enjoy it. In my part of NC, we've only had a low of 14° F at the worst so far this winter, so I'm nowhere near as cold as some of you. I have natural gas to the house and my outdoor grill. Last month's gas bill was only $125, about one-third what some neighbors with similar sized houses are paying. A Porterlator wood stove insert and firewood looks really good every time I think about that.

Ok, aside from still being in love with wood harvesting, despite having been actively involved in all facets of it since I was old enough to walk (ok, my old man waited until I was about 13 before I ran the saw, but you get the idea), I wouldn't give up on wood burning simply because I have a very strong frugal Yankee mentality ingrained in my psyche. It's part of me now.

That means I'll never turn the heat up above 60. Mostly it stays at 55. If I didn't burn wood, that wouldn't change, because I hate paying for oil. So I'd be cold and miserable all winter long.

It's a simple choice for me: burn wood or suffer. :D

and how!!!

when i get my cob home built, it will of passive solar design and have propane for water heating, range/oven, clothes dryer-possibly even a refrigeration unit or two. wood will be the heat.

eggsplain the cob home--never heard of that--

You just haven't been diagnosed with BED yet. It starts when you load the pick up too heavy way back in the woods and bury it to the axle. Your buddy tells you if you had duals, you could have just stuffed a couple of poles between them and driven out. Then the city or county are taking bids on a one ton dump. Then you haul so much home and Tractor supply has $200 of on the Huskee 35 ton splitter. Then you need a trailer and a bobcat or tractor. And its all being paid for with the money your saving! Then the neighbors want to buy some wood or help! You"ve got cheap heat & extra income! Yep, its Bigger Equipment Disorder.
:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: jeesh--bed and cad--aint no one safe on this forum---!!!!!!

not me that the only way i got to stay warm here because i can't use my heat and air unit because someone stole it about 7 years ago and i figure i would just put a wood stove up the chimmy and use it becuase with a fire place all the heat goes up the chimmy anyway but i do cut some fire wood to sell when i kow i have enugh saved up to keep my house warm and now i don't have anyone buyin any now and now i know i have plenty to last a cuple of years but i'm goin to change my warm morrin stove out to a stove to take longer logs tomarrow if it's not raining

PLEASE,,,break the sentences with a comma, or a period. or dashes---makes it hard to read otherwise--thanks

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::agree2:

I reckon a lot of folks don't deal with our Humidity, mud, bugs and greenbrier when there isn't snow on the ground.
Gimme the snow! When all else fails just drop 'em, and come back for them when it starts to thaw enough to get the tractor at it.

420JD eh? Ya ever get over to the Flywheelers for the annual get together?

BTW I'm just south of S.Haven, you?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I try and stay 2 years ahead on my wood, I get a 10 cord logger load of 8 footers every year. It takes me about 1 1/2 months to get it cut up and split and stacked in my spare time I usually do it when it cools down mid Oct. and November. I only cut in the mid winter when I am bored not out of necessity.

Back