Anyone have experience with companies that offer a dual service?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think some people are just scared of Renaissance Men. But then again, there are a lot of thieving hacks who sell good lines to naive people…

hii

hey i am new to this group and i want to grow my knowledge ant want to share my knowledge and experiences with all the group members :smile2: treedoctors can be a good help for this try it..!!

If you know what your doing that is fine. As a small business i do what i can to pay the bills. I do 75 % tree work but if a customer asked for something i can do i do it. Ive done fences retaining walls patios stone drive ways and excavating. My customers like the one company deal. I wont do anything im not sure of. Most of my work is referals. Once someone gets screwed over by a company word travels like wild fire.

Tree insurance and roofing insurance will be separate policeys. Past x-amount of feet general insurance will not cover. Separate business cards will look more proffesional.

Can it be done long-term and successfully? Yes. But I'd bet 9 out of 10 would fail.

Obviously by some of these posts there are those that are successful at it and I believe them. But I don't think they're the norm. It's really disappointing to see signs nailed to roadside trees that read, "TreE WoRk, TaXes, and RooFing".

Just my two cents, but put your all into one or the other. That way you can focus the extra time (yeah, I wish) on marketing, admin, bids, call-backs, and giving all your earnings to Uncle Sam.

Will

I agree that the little guy needs to do what he can and being diverse like that may get more work which = money BUT I think that work will be limited in growth potential. i think now that the best way from a business standpoint is to keep it seperate have that specialty and build that and be successful. I think I'm going to focus on tree work and use my resources to do so. I know it'll take time but ive been successful in the trades that I do because I work hard and put in the time, and these are trades I have no care for. I'm excited to see what I can do with a trade that I'm actually interested in and care for! I am fortunate tho that I still have side work to get me thru down time if needed. Did someone say Oo-rah!? Oh wait I did! Oo-rah!

I know a guy has been doing tree work for 30 years. A few years ago he sold his bucket truck, a nice one with the bucket over the chip box and the boom was on an elevator, and used the money to buy a bobcat skid steer , and two excavators, a big one and a little one. He also has a custom built knuckle boom crane. He now probably makes as much doing digging and craning as he does trees. He sales and sets boulders too.
It has the added benefit of being able to use the equipment for tree work when needed. He has every attachment you can think of almost for his skid steer and excavators too.
Ive work for a few companys that also did demos and land clearance beside trees. They kind of go together.
I think if done right being a little diversified can keep you working in the lean and slow times. By that I mean things that might go hand in hand with tree work, cleanups, land clearance, hauling, hardscape, etc. I do weed abatement on the side my self, and use to do Code enforcement work for the city. Anything to pay the bills

Back