Anyone seeing failures with MS 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimL

Addicted to ArboristSite
Heres one of our 361's. only time they have anything done to them is when the quit working.

This one the oiler is stopped up.

No idea when the filter was last cleaned, or if it was ever.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Heres one of our 361's. only time they have anything done to them is when the quit working.

This one the oiler is stopped up.

No idea when the filter was last cleaned, or if it was ever.

That saw looks like it was abused and ignored, in every sence of those words - looks like it has floated around in a pick-up bed, with no care at all...:jawdrop:

Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
I think it's ready to be cleaned :) It's also the before the air filter change.
Look at bottoms of filters

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Manual: you have an optional "Winter" filter. "Winter" meaning in conditions where ice can form on the flocked filter (freezing fog etc.), which isn't all that common. It was never shipped with a saw in the USA, and is worthless in fine dust conditions. The dirt you see inside is exactly what I see on the MS200T with guys that insist on using that filter (because they like to pour gas though it to clean it).

As I'm sure you've now seen, the "filter update" was just to remove the two big tabs at the bottom of the filter, not the material.

Get a fleece filter... and make sure the locating posts are not broken off on your backing plate. The clamp knob should be looked at also. A smear of petroleum grease around the lip will seal it if you have any problems

Last edited:
Freakingstang

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Glad my husky doesn't have that problem........:monkey:

Seriously though, Dolmars fix for the saw dust on the 5100 flock filter is the mesh winter cover, surprisingly, it works better.

Guess I'll just keep my 036 for now, it doesn't have filter problems. :)

manual

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite
Manual: you have an optional "Winter" filter. "Winter" meaning in conditions where ice can form on the flocked filter (freezing fog etc.), which isn't all that common. It was never shipped with a saw in the USA, and is worthless in fine dust conditions. The dirt you see inside is exactly what I see on the MS200T with guys that insist on using that filter (because they like to pour gas though it to clean it).

As I'm sure you've now seen, the "filter update" was just to remove the two big tabs at the bottom of the filter, not the material.

Get a fleece filter... and make sure the locating posts are not broken off on your backing plate. The clamp knob should be looked at also. A smear of petroleum grease around the lip will seal it if you have any problems

Yeah I see now what is going on.
I'll have to order a filter.
thanks