Anyone use amsoil products in there saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many packets say in a case??
How much for shipping to 53534 for a case? How much for shipping of a 8 oz bottle. Is the bottle like a stabil bottle??

Bottle is like a stihl oil bottle just a standard bottle. Sending PM on estimate
48 packets in case for 1.5oz
12 in a case for 3.5 and 8oz

Last edited:
On Friday I sent an email to Amsoil asking them about the affect that Kinematic Viscosity has on a pre-mix oil base on some comments that were made in this oil thread.

Here is my question to Amsoil: "On a website that caters to performance and racing 2 stroke engines I have seen discussion that the Kinematic Viscosity of the oil has an important relation to the engine protection during high rpm high heat and high load situations. Does oil with a rating of 13 protect an engine better than one with a Kinematic Viscosity of 7? I am not convinced that Kinematic Viscosity is important in a "pre mix" application and wonder if it is more important when choosing an oil used for injector systems? I would appreciate your comments as your Dominator oil seems to have a low Kinematic Viscosity and is a racing oil."

Here is the response from Amsoil:

"Kinematic Viscosity is not important in pre mix situations. It is relevant in oil injection systems as the flow rate is affected by how thick or thin the oil is. Lower viscosity will flow better, thus the (more) oil can do more protecting of the engine."

Based on their response and no additonal information to the contrary I guess I still don't believe that Kinematic Viscosity is a basis for choosing a pre-mix oil. Those with first hand experience with racing engines may have formed a different opinion.

Also the link someone posted to a test using a model airplane engine was interesting - but it was only turning 6,000 rpms at full throttle and I wonder how well the results compare to the larger and faster turning engines used in chainsaws and motorcycles. I did read through it fairly thoroughly and when I read about piston scuffing on the 100:1 with Sabre I was surprised - but then I read that the engine had been run full throttle for 54 hours at this point and the author does admit that the engine may have been well worn by this point and could be showing the stresses of the prevous test.

I still believe that for any of us running stock or nearly stock saws we will do just fine with any modern fully synthetic oil at the recommended 50:1 ratio. Those of you on the ragged edge that are porting and heavily modifying your engines......any added advantage you can get from you oil is probably needed.

Brad: Since you are not satisfied with my running 100:1 Saber in my weed eaters.....I will up the anty and use it in my leaf blower as well!!!!:clap:

Last edited:
While I only use Mobil 1 2T and Amsoil Saber, I do think people overrate the performance differences from one premium brand to another. Stihl could package 100% dog piss in their "Ultra" and all the Stihl heads on here would still think it's the greatest thing ever made.

I know SpaceFool just posted a thread asking if anyone has ever experienced a non-mix (ratio) related 2 stoke oil failure, and I'm sure he's just trolling as usual, but I'd bet the number of non-mix related oil failures with modern oils is VERY few. Hell, I have a buddy who has used the same 2 stroke trimmer for over 10 years with his landscaping business and he only feeds it cheap WM oil... which he doesn't even measure, he just dumps a little in. The damn thing still runs great to this day.

While I only use Mobil 1 2T and Amsoil Saber, I do think people overrate the performance differences from one premium brand to another. Stihl could package 100% dog piss in their "Ultra" and all the Stihl heads on here would still think it's the greatest thing ever made.

I know SpaceFool just posted a thread asking if anyone has ever experienced a non-mix (ratio) related 2 stoke oil failure, and I'm sure he's just trolling as usual, but I'd bet the number of non-mix related oil failures with modern oils is VERY few. Hell, I have a buddy who has used the same 2 stroke trimmer for over 10 years with his landscaping business and he only feeds it cheap WM oil... which he doesn't even measure, he just dumps a little in. The damn thing still runs great to this day.

LMAO... the thread that will not die.

Your claim about "ultra" is ridiculous... Very typical from a Stihl "hater". Awesome post... :laugh:

There are a lot of good oils out there... Not just "Ultra" from Stihl... plus I doubt anyone but an Amsoil dealer is claiming that there is a "performance difference" from using one oil to the other...

Gary

I agree that we probably dwell too much on which oil is the best.....but it does seem like more fun than watching "Dancing with the Stars" or "The Bachelor" on TV! :dizzy:

I bought up a bunch of Mobil 2T when it was discontinued and have been using it and have enough stashed away to last a long time and it is working fine in my chainsaws, weedeater and leaf blower. I believe any full synthetic oil will do just fine in stock equipment at the recommended 50:1 ratio....there is probably no need to explore leaner or fatter mix ratios.

The reason I explored the Amsoil Saber 100:1 mix was that my Sherco Trials Motorcycle requires a lean oil mixture at 80:1 and it is run at extended low rpm's while negotiating my woods and I seldom explore high rpms or full throttle on the bike. With the Mobil 2T mixed at the 80:1 that the motorcycle importer recommends I was getting a lot of oil out the exhaust pipe - and the oily exhaust fumes were soaking the fiberglass packing in the muffler and oil was running out the connection between the cylinder and the exhaust header. I cleaned up the bike, replaced the gasket and started using Amsoil Saber at 100:1 and the exhaust was less oily and the bike seemed to run a bit smoother at low rpms.

attachment.php

At this point in my evolution I am using Mobil 2T in my saws mixed at 50:1 with 93 octane pump gas, I will be using the Saber mixed at 100:1 in my weedeaters and leaf blower just out of curiousity, and I sold my 2 stroke trials bike and bought one that is a 4 stroke.

Your claim about "ultra" is ridiculous... Very typical from a Stihl "hater". Awesome post... :laugh:

There are a lot of good oils out there... Not just "Ultra" from Stihl... plus I doubt anyone but an Amsoil dealer is claiming that there is a "performance difference" from using one oil to the other...

Gary

Ridiculous? I'd bet the farm many folks around here would love anything that was packed in that Stihl Ultra container, whether it be WM dino oil or lubricated dog piss. Some people are just simply blinded by brand loyalty. Sad, but it's very true.

Stihl hater? Quite the opposite. I love most professional level Stihl products. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I own as many (or more) Stihl saws and products as you do. The difference is I'm not a cool-aid drinking Stihl leghumper and I'm smart enough to realize that someone other than Stihl can make an equal or superior product, and possibly offer better services (such as offering mail order parts)... and that goes for oils as well (which quite frankly, Stihl is certainly no expert in oil formulation or production). If Castrol stopped supplying oil to Stihl, whoever took their place would no doubt be seen as the second coming around here. :rolleyes:

Anyway, go ahead and get back on your tractor and continue preaching about oil... :rock:

Ridiculous? I'd bet the farm many folks around here would love anything that was packed in that Stihl Ultra container, whether it be WM dino oil or lubricated dog piss. Some people are just simply blinded by brand loyalty. Sad, but it's very true.

Stihl hater? Quite the opposite. I love most professional level Stihl products. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I own as many (or more) Stihl saws and products as you do. The difference is I'm not a cool-aid drinking Stihl leghumper and I'm smart enough to realize that someone other than Stihl can make an equal or superior product, and possibly offer better services (such as offering mail order parts)... and that goes for oils as well (which quite frankly, Stihl is certainly no expert in oil formulation or production). If Castrol stopped supplying oil to Stihl, whoever took their place would no doubt be seen as the second coming around here. :rolleyes:

Anyway, go ahead and get back on your tractor and continue preaching about oil... :rock:
+100. I agree with you all the way. Another example is the inferior Stihl homeowner saws many continue to buy, even when informed that there are better options.

:rock::) Agree 100%

That was an interesting post about the viscosity issue and the Amsoil response. If they say that it is not important, then it isn't. Whether you like the oil or not, they have probably one of the most competent and helpful technical departments of any lubricant company. I would guess that you may have problems getting someone to answer your questions at some companies.

The leaf blower and weed eater should really perform well at the 100:1 mix.

Homeowner = uninformed. Members here on the forum have shown very little interest in the much better built saws I have reviewed. Point proven. It's all about the brand. I love pro Stihl equipment because it's built well, not just because of the brand.

So I am uninformed because I choose to use a smaller plastic cased stihl saw??

I use stihl becasue I am comfortable with their product and it works well for me, not because what the name or color of it is.

+100. I agree with you all the way. Another example is the inferior Stihl homeowner saws many continue to buy, even when informed that there are better options.

My Dolmar dealer (no, his name is not Niko) seems dismayed that people continue to buy Husky 450s and Stihl MS-290s.
I asked him what was wrong with the MS-290, because he had a trade-in advertised for $150 and didn't seem to hold it in high regard, and he said "They're not real bad, but it's a heavy pig and it's not put together like a Dolmar".

He convinced me. I gave him more money than he wanted for the MS-290, got a PS-510 that was in better shape. The only reason I'd trade my PS-510 for a MS-290 would be if I wanted to sell it on eBay.

I don't mean this offinsively, but if you're not uninformed, then you care more about brand than quality. I've proven that with the small saws.

could care less on saw name or color. I use what works for me and currently that is stihl. I am not a arborist or logger so I don't wear out saw like some people do.

Latest posts

Back