Anyone use amsoil products in there saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all you fellow Amsoil dealers and users

I would like to add one more thing about Amsoil. They stand behind their products. If you have a failure that is caused directly by the oil they will stand behind it. Find me another oil manufacturer out there that will do that.

Oil, like anything else out there, its a growing technology. The saws of old called for richer mix ratios because the quality of the oil was poor, plain and simple. The new saws call for leaner ratios because the quality, the lubrication properties of todays oils is so that much better.

I won't go into the whole history of Amsoil but oil is all they do and they do it well or they wouldn't still be in business after 30 plus years.

I used to ride Yamaha snowmachines and only used Yamaha oil cuz thats what my dealer had on the shelf and I figured how could I go wrong. While on a sled trip I ran out and my buddy offered up some Ams and I never turned back. Enuf said.

Dolmar 105 & 7900
Stihl 024AVS
Honda Rincon 650
Evinrude 90hp
Weedeater
Strike Master 10"
03 Duramax/Dual filter system and oil analysis, 100,000 miles on the the oil
91 Toyota Pickup
04 Jeep Liberty
All on Amsoil/never a failure

I would like to add one more thing about Amsoil. They stand behind their products. If you have a failure that is caused directly by the oil they will stand behind it. Find me another oil manufacturer out there that will do that.
Enuf said.

Dolmar 105 & 7900
Stihl 024AVS
Honda Rincon 650
Evinrude 90hp
Weedeater
Strike Master 10"
03 Duramax/Dual filter system and oil analysis, 100,000 miles on the the oil
91 Toyota Pickup
04 Jeep Liberty
All on Amsoil/never a failure

Kind of a silly arguement, no oil company will have a failure attributed to their
oil, so the warranty is meaningless, silly.

All of the oil/saw companies tout this tripe........

The moral to this story, just use the regular oil, and you will have no trouble..

Amsoil, Marvel Mystery, Slick 50, blah, blah, blah..........

Winter is over, so this poop should start tapering off a bit, eh????

Kind of a silly arguement, no oil company will have a failure attributed to their
oil, so the warranty is meaningless, silly.

All of the oil/saw companies tout this tripe........

The moral to this story, just use the regular oil, and you will have no trouble..

Amsoil, Marvel Mystery, Slick 50, blah, blah, blah..........

Winter is over, so this poop should start tapering off a bit, eh????

I use it because it's synthetic. I don't like Dino 2stroke mix, carbon buildup is a problem. I'd use Ultra, but almost impossible to get around here, only 1 dealer has it in the little bottles, they say that's all they can get, and want like $7 for the smallest bottle 1 gallon mix.

I am sure it is decent enough, but is it worth forming a religon ???

Guys get carried away easily about things that really don't matter much...

Synthetics give better lubrication, I don't deny, but is it worth becoming
a bald tamborine player????

The recommended oil is good enough, and any difference would only be discovered after many, many hours of use, and failures mostly are the
fault of anything but oil, so these threads are quite silly.......

It is spring, and these topics should be about ready to hibernate......

The recommended oil is good enough, and any difference would only be discovered after many, many hours of use, and failures mostly are the

:agree2:

If you buy good oil, most likely you are taking care of your equipment and won't have a failure. Give an idiot expensive oil and see what happens. :cheers:

So for the people using Amsoil at 100 to 1, do you alter the jetting of the saw to account for the richer fuel to air ratio?
Remember the less oil in the fuel the more petrol there so the richer air fuel to air ratio.

If you have less oil in the mix the fuel ratio gets corespondingly richer, I assume you have to fiddle with the carb to account for this?

Thats how it works with motocrossers anyway, and theres no way on earth I would consider using 100:1 on anything other than a trials bike that doesn't rev very hard anyway.

You lot do what you want, I'm not touching it at 100:1.

I don't remember ever hearing of anyone who has claimed against an oil company for incorrect advertising, they might try but who can afford the better lawyers, some bloke like me or an oil company...

:agree2:

Yup, agree fully with everything you said.

Well, I was hoping for a few more. I mean your 2 cycle oil choice is one of the most important decisions you will ever make.........other than what color window treatments to match the carpet. Another freeze warning here in Ohio, it should warm up soon

My buddies and I ran Amsoil at 100 to 1 in dirt bikes and chain saws back int the '70's. We ran them hard and no problems. They only made one type of 2 stroke oil back then.

Whether at 100:1 or 50:1, I have always just tuned the saw so that I thought it sounded right-no problems.

This is not "a religion". A question is asked and answered with facts. If some people were not so closed-minded, it would not be a confrontational issue.

What I state about Amsoil is fact and not conjecture or just opinion. Either use it or not-your choice- but do not throw out disparaging remarks about a proven good product unless you have proof.

My last post on this subject.:clap:

Here is a pic of a couple Amsoil guys at the outdoor area of last fall's EXPO.

I'll see if I can find some pics of the Marvel Mystery booth.....

The lack of a listed stabilizer is not a reason for rejecting Amsoil. I have had mix sitting for long periods-like over several months-with no adverse effects what so ever. I have had it sit in the tank of weed eaters etc. for an entire winter and it starts and runs great. I don't have that problem with my chainsaws as I use them heavily now virtually year around.

I will say again, I have used 100:1 to cut lots of wood. I now run it 50:1 just because I choose to. The 100:1 is perfectly safe. If you don't want to run it-THEN DON'T-but don't bad mouth a great product if you are not willing to try it.

I have been a lifetime dealer with Amsoil for many years and I refuse to run petroleum oil in any engine that I own. It just plain does not hold a candle to synthetic. Why do you think that they can only use synthetic oil in turbine engines? They burn up with petroleum. Helicopters etc. will crash. The new corvette engines use ONLY synthetic or they will burn up. I could go on for hours with sythetic stories of success.

The bottom line is that Saber 100:1 is a good reliable product. If you want to use it-go for it. If you don't that is perfectly fine and it is your choice, but don't bad mouth a good product without solid proof that it caused a failure.:cheers:
I myself was not bad mouthing Amsoil. Like I said, I use it in my Vehicles. I had a new 2 gallon can of fresh gas for my mowers with Seafoam in it so figured I would mix up a batch at 50:1. I put in a couple of my saws and will see how it works.
Oh and to the guy who asked if they would buy him a new saw? If it is the fault of the oil not lubricating properly than Amsoil is probably one of the few who would buy you a new saw.

Here is a pic of a couple Amsoil guys at the outdoor area of last fall's EXPO.

I'll see if I can find some pics of the Marvel Mystery booth

a bald tamborine player????.....

See, this is the kind of mis-information that discredits people.
No where in that picture does the bald guy holding the religous oil sign have a tamborine...

To all those bad mouthing

I cannot believe the lenghts some of you go to, to bad mouth a product that you obviously know nothing about. If you don't like it that is fine, find another thread you are positively interested in, instead of making snide remarks or making false claims.
A guy asks a question about a product to get the facts not opinions, opinions are like as:censored:, everyone has one.

For those of you looking for the facts follow the links bellow.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1363.pdf
https://www.amsoil.com/magnuson_moss.aspx
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atp.aspx
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1988.pdf

What I found with Amsoil is that the local dealer wanted me to pay a fee every year to buy it for a better price .............I can go to Mill's Fleet Farm and get it if I want it .......

Yeah, I usually avoid these meaningless threads, you can just substitute
Amsoil, with another brand, and the posts are pretty much the same..

The guys that get their panties in a wad are what makes it all worth it though.............

Kind of like discussing the bible with the Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses,
it is all fun......

I am just mad because I cannot find these guys anymore locally, any of you guys dealers????

http://www.slick50.com/

The only thing wrong with Amsoil is their marketing. They make a great product. I've used Amsoil in my vehicles for years.

??? They sure sell a lot of it for being a flawed marketing idea.

I used it in car, truck, tractor, ATV and skidder engines. The guy I get it from uses it in his race cars and swears by it. All transmissions and 2 stroke oil. I get it for around the same or cheaper than I would other synthetic oils. The operating temperatures in the trannys went down as predicted and I get better cold starting and smoother running engines.

In St. Louis, MO there is a yard maintenance man with a few 15 year old heavily used poulans that have been running nothing but 100 to 1 Saber the whole time and he has never done anything to rebuild them. He stated all of this weedwackers and other such small engines, last very long or died of other causes, but not the engine wearing out.

I can't get it at Autozone, sure, but my dealer isn't a problem to go see, I get hundreds of dollars worth of it at a time. I can't say I have ever tried any product of theirs that didn't out perform whatever I was using before.

I can get past the "cult" like love and hatred of the company, some people can't. I find it funny that those that hate Amsoil always seem to be more of a cult than those that use the products, because those that use it have a pretty valid reason to use it ........ its better oil generally, but those that hate Amsoil usually just dislike something petty or have formed an opinion that is not based on anything factual, just their emotional state, they truly do hate Amsoil, LOL.

I just don't care, I like their products, and I do think they are overall better for my machines.

Sam

When I was growing up on the farm....we used SAE 30 weight motor oil mixed at 20:1 in our David Bradley and Poulan saws......we never had a saw failure.

When I was a teenager I used Golden Spectro synthetic oil in my Yamaha 175, Suzuki 90, Kawasaki 125, and Suzuki 125 motorcycles I rode about 2 hours a day after school when weather would permit and for long hours on weekends and never had an engine failure.

When I became and an adult and I bought my Stihl 029 I used it for 12 years with Stihl High Performance oil mixed at 50:1....the green dino stuff in the little bottles. I never had a failure and it worked fine and never missed a beat. I used the same oil in my McCollough Weedwacker and a McCollough chainsaw that a fellow at work gave me.....once I cleaned the old fuel out of them they ran fine on the Stihl mix and and I never had a failure. I also used it in my Poulan leaf blower and a Mantis Tiller.....still no problems. I eventually sold the 029 and gave the McColloughs away and I still have my 20 year old Mantis Tiller.

For the last 3 years I have been using Mobil 2T mixed at 50:1 in my Stihl chainsaws, Poulan leaf blower, Kawasaki and Stihl weed wackers, Mantis Tiller, and in my old 1974 trials motorcycle. I have never had a problem in any of those engines.

A few months ago I was having a bit too much oil in the exhaust of my Sherco trials bike when mixing the Mobil 2T at 80:1 - so I tried the Amsoil Saber at 100:1. The exhaust was much cleaner after making the switch and I will be using it in my weedwacker and leaf blower out of curiosity....I am not quite ready to use it in my saws at 100:1 yet.....but chances are it would be fine. I am of the opinion that the oil is concentrated and is thicker than most 50:1 or injector oils......I think that when it is mixed at 100:1 you are still getting the proper amount of lubricant mixed in with the fuel. Most of the 2 cycle oils that are rated for use in Injector systems say that they have been "diluted" or "thinned" for proper pump operation and or mixing. I have never had a problem with too much oil in the exhaust of my chainsaw or other power tools so I never had a problem with using a conventional 50:1 mix .

I am not an Amsoil Addict.....but I do believe it is a very good oil. I am of the opinion that engine failures are normally not oil related......except for those people that fail to put any kind of oil in the gasoline. Most failures are a result of running an engine that has too lean of a fuel/air mixture because of an air leak, bad fuel, or fuel system blockage. If your engine suddenly starts running weird or runs much faster than normal.....stop and see what is going on before you burn the saw up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back