Anything to be aware of with running a used ms 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It came with a fairly newish 25" bar, which is what i have been using, however i am tempted to get shorter bar for it, as it would be less fatiguing and hence less tiring for most jobs. whats it like using a saw like this with a shorter bar?

from what ive read the shorter you go on the bar the less amazing the saw becomes. its a bug bad saw meant for big bad bars and big bad wood lol. mine came witha 25 too im hoping to get some time on it this weekend :)

go buy some stihl ultra oil and mix fresh gas. once you mix it, smell it. thats right i said smell it. remember the smell. if you go to use it and it doesent smell exactly like that, dont use it. dump it out and mix fresh gas. other than that, just do your regular maintenance, like your plug and filter.

Yes, this is important. Also, you can download the owner's manual from Stihl's website. Nice saw! Live long, have fun, cut wood!

yeah, i would say play around w/ various size bars [you really want a good balance btwn weight/size & power ya got goin'on] and then depending on what you're usage plan is...ah, so many variables, I think ya just gotta play around w/it until it feels right ... but hey, i run my bar upside down & it feels right to me
w-lovetrailleader18
w-lovetrailleader18

yeah, i would say play around w/ various size bars [you really want a good balance btwn weight/size & power ya got goin'on] and then depending on what you're usage plan is...ah, so many variables, I think ya just gotta play around w/it until it feels right ... but hey, i run my bar upside down & it feels right to me
w-lovetrailleader18
w-lovetrailleader18

Now I'm really cornfused, because I thought you just had the powerhead upside down??

Anything to be aware of with running a used ms 660?

Yes, that a 880 will seem much more affordable and "logic" than before.

Have fun, be safe and watch out for the envy...

:cheers:

i agree with every one whos says freash gas and good oil since it is a 660 use top grade gas it desves it. I would also use some seafoam in it for a bit to clean up the engine. Just remenber to be careful and have fun.

Back