Are you guys on the East coast getting ready for the Hurricane?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its getting worse here in Virginia Beach. Power is out here since 1:00pm and running on generator power. Power outages reported greater than 2,000,000. Wind is at 40-50mph now and getting stronger as the eye approaches, they have 80's in northern NC right now, eye is about two hours out from me. Hang on!!!:msp_w00t:

Should be running saws tomorrow like crazy, wished you were here..:biggrin:

I'm about 3 miles from the Chesapeake and already had two Virginia Pines drop across the road in our neighborhood today. Since they were from my property, I was out in the downpour cutting them up and getting them off the road. The 441 did well but it is definitely NOT a limbing saw. That reminds me, I need to start shopping for a good limbing saw. Cheers and be safe to everyone else affected by the storm.

I'm about 3 miles from the Chesapeake and already had two Virginia Pines drop across the road in our neighborhood today. Since they were from my property, I was out in the downpour cutting them up and getting them off the road. The 441 did well but it is definitely NOT a limbing saw. That reminds me, I need to start shopping for a good limbing saw. Cheers and be safe to everyone else affected by the storm.

please keep us updated.

Last edited:
Just waiting here south of the Allentown area and the rain just started to pick up. The generator is all tuned up, the saws are sharp, I've got 15ga of gas plus two full tanks in the F250. The cars are out in the yard away from the trees. All the animals are under cover except for the stupid guinea hens, but oh well. I got the barn buttoned up and ran 4" pipe from all the downspouts well away from the paddock. Culvert pipes are clear and my neighbor and I put in extra large water diversions on the gravel lane today. I even cut the fields before they get all soggy. Batteries are charged. Gonna be what it is.

Irene

Just waiting here south of the Allentown area and the rain just started to pick up. The generator is all tuned up, the saws are sharp, I've got 15ga of gas plus two full tanks in the F250. The cars are out in the yard away from the trees. All the animals are under cover except for the stupid guinea hens, but oh well. I got the barn buttoned up and ran 4" pipe from all the downspouts well away from the paddock. Culvert pipes are clear and my neighbor and I put in extra large water diversions on the gravel lane today. I even cut the fields before they get all soggy. Batteries are charged. Gonna be what it is.
Heavy rain right now!! There is going to be a big problem with basements flooding because of sump pumps quitting do to the power outages. Big financial hit. We're lucky because we have a generator. All ready to go alon!!g with my new nhmurph 79cc Makita!! Can't wait but must admit we're a little nervous. Will be first real hurricane with this 25ft. addition. Have 3/4 " plywood on walls and roof, plus oversized rafters. We're on a hill up here and get hammered by the wind. Wait and see and pray some. Hope for some trees to cut. Not on the house though. :redface:

The eye is passing here now, rain is slowing and so is the wind. It will pick-up again as we get the back side, now the high water starts, flood stage waters are supposed to be 8' above normal, that should flood lots of property since Va Beach is only about 5-10' above sea level. Confirmed 6 dead because of falling tree's or people driving around in the weather and getting hit by other cars or running off the road. No power here, ate off the coleman stove tonight and running the generator to keep up with news and weather.

Northern VA's just been getting a good bit of rain and a little wind. We've had a handfull of calls/e-mails but nothing serious so far. One of our employees who went back to college in Norfolk last week just texted me and said trees were down all over there. We'll be out working tomorrow though.

It's pretty quiet here so far in southern Maine. We're getting a little rain.
It's been a busy day. I filled up the gas cans and fired up the generator.
The gutters needed some work so I had to do some repairs on those.
Both vehicles are full of fuel.
The saw is fueled and sharpened.
Flashlights are stashed and checked.
I may get a new trash can to use as a rain barrel in case something happens to the town water system. There may be some flooding.

Other than that I think we're good to go. Stay safe everyone.

winds are picking up. Rain is heavy but not really crazy yet. Floyd was much worse so far. Im up high on a ridge and no real tree/home encounters expected. just the usual power outage and "one of these years Im gonna get a stand-by generator" blues. Saws are ready for the after affects.

Wishing all you guys the best of luck and stay safe. This too shall pass.

A

I'm about 15 miles N of philly, just started getting some heavy gusts and lightning. Rain is getting heavier too. I got the generator ready in case, gota keep the sump pump going. LOL

Moderate rain and just a slight breeze right now, but it should start picking up over the next few hours. Tomorrow they are calling for sustained winds of 40-50 with gusts up to 60. There'll be all kinds of stuff coming down if that happens.

I'm as ready as can be. Selected a few saws for storm duty. Gonna put a little more time on the 555AT for one.

I should really go to bed, but I've got this nervous energy and don't feel the slightest bit sleepy. The store is going to go nuts on Monday.

On a side note, if this thing plays out as predicted, saw inventories from all companies will get somewhat depleted, and lot's of models will be on backorder. Going to take a while to refill the pipelines. Maaaaaaaaaaaybe I'll finally be able to get some 562's????????????????

Moderate rain and just a slight breeze right now, but it should start picking up over the next few hours. Tomorrow they are calling for sustained winds of 40-50 with gusts up to 60. There'll be all kinds of stuff coming down if that happens.

I'm as ready as can be. Selected a few saws for storm duty. Gonna put a little more time on the 555AT for one.

I should really go to bed, but I've got this nervous energy and don't feel the slightest bit sleepy. The store is going to go nuts on Monday.

On a side note, if this thing plays out as predicted, saw inventories from all companies will get somewhat depleted, and lot's of models will be on backorder. Going to take a while to refill the pipelines. Maaaaaaaaaaaybe I'll finally be able to get some 562's????????????????

The shop is definitely going to be nuts on Monday, and I can't wait for it! Nothing better than a strung out day after some good solid weather. I'm hoping this will encourage the shipment of some 562's as well. Can't tell me there isn't a stockpile of them somewhere just waiting for whatever reason they need to put them on the market :msp_w00t:

On a side note, if this thing plays out as predicted, saw inventories from all companies will get somewhat depleted, and lot's of models will be on backorder. Going to take a while to refill the pipelines. Maaaaaaaaaaaybe I'll finally be able to get some 562's????????????????[/QUOTE]

Yeah Spike, getting the 562's would be great, but I hope the shipping containers stay on the ship LOL. I hope Irene doen't give you too greif. Stay safe.

reports have it that the eye is in AC right now. If this is the worst of the storm has to offer then its been a mild to non event. one bradford pear down in a neighbors yard. he'll have 4 crews with 2 bucket trucks there by noon...(very managerial, not very practical type of guy) my chipper and saws accross the street are of no known value to him...

Still wishing everyone well and good luck.

We're being slammed pretty good right now, the storm is just to our south...

Have no power, but my laptop and wireless access point still have some power left! :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back