ariens 27T log splitter ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWnewguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Was the the Home Depot today, and on the way in noticed they had a Ariens 27T on sale. Anyone have any experience with these particular units? I know that the Subaru engines are the cats pajamas, but the cycle time was 16 seconds. I read the reviews on the website and they were mostly positive, except of course the catastrophic failure one. Any info would be appreciated.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Looks like they examined the TroyBilt/White/Etc and improved on it. I like how they extended the armature out past the axle so you don't have a wheel in the operator position and also able to work both sides.

Harry K

When I was looking at a splitter I saw one of these. Saw how the wedge/beam/foot plate was made, about as cheap as possible. Never got to the engine or pump. For the money there are lots of better made splitters out there. Probably hold up fine if you are splitting 12 cord a year. Just my opinion though.

I wouldn't get hung up on cycle times. That is the time for a full cycle, when we split, we have painted different lengths on the side of the beam, up on top of the beam as well, even though they wear off, there is enough on the side of the beam you can see when you are running the splitter. If your splitting 18" wood for example, just run the ram back to 18/19", when you split the wood only run the ram forward enough to split the wood and immediately reverse, you'll find the cycle time is much faster than advedrtised unless splitting full lenght wood. Just our way of looking at it.
The subaru engine is one fine little hunk of equipment.

When I was looking at a splitter I saw one of these. Saw how the wedge/beam/foot plate was made, about as cheap as possible. Never got to the engine or pump. For the money there are lots of better made splitters out there. Probably hold up fine if you are splitting 12 cord a year. Just my opinion though.

If you are referring to that 'half-beam' think again. It is stiffer than a full beam would be.

Harry K

If you are referring to that 'half-beam' think again. It is stiffer than a full beam would be.

Harry K

A short beam made of crap will be stiffer than a full beam made of crap.
Ariens is far from the best you can buy for the same money. If I offended anyone with an Ariens, sorry. Like I said only my opinion.

The Ariens is made just 5 miles down the road from me. I no they took a Iron & Oak splitter for a week to figure out what they wanted to build. I think there is some good Ideas but some bad ideas also. The only reason Ariens got into the log splitter bis was because homedopt told them that they will or you are losing us as a seller. Home dopt is over hafe of Ariens bis.

Beefie

Guess I should have said that it was $1200 not the internet price of $1600. I am not into paying retail, and wouldn't have asked if it hadn't been a pretty good discount. I am eyeing a Ridgid pressure washer with the Subaru engine and Cat pump, and I may talk to a manager about a little discount if I was to buy them both. Still not sure about the splitter though. Fine line between staying in shape splitting wood and beating yourself up sometimes.

I wouldn't get hung up on cycle times. That is the time for a full cycle, when we split, we have painted different lengths on the side of the beam, up on top of the beam as well, even though they wear off, there is enough on the side of the beam you can see when you are running the splitter. If your splitting 18" wood for example, just run the ram back to 18/19", when you split the wood only run the ram forward enough to split the wood and immediately reverse, you'll find the cycle time is much faster than advedrtised unless splitting full lenght wood. Just our way of looking at it.
The subaru engine is one fine little hunk of equipment.

I don't get your point. Yes you rarely run a splitter the full cycle when splitting but the full cycle time gives you a way to compare the speed of one splitter to the next. A 16 second cycle time is sloooow regardless if your running the ram back 2/3 of the way or 3/4 of the way. It would be a deal breaker for me.

292bu9x.jpg
if you can save your money get and i&o tom trees:cheers:

I wouldn't get hung up on cycle times.

:agree2:

How you work is more important. Unless you step up into a MUCH more expensive unit (TW, etc.), they are all about the same. Anybody who thinks 2 seconds difference in cycle time matters, is simply an idiot.

Guess I should have said that it was $1200 not the internet price of $1600. I am not into paying retail, and wouldn't have asked if it hadn't been a pretty good discount. I am eyeing a Ridgid pressure washer with the Subaru engine and Cat pump, and I may talk to a manager about a little discount if I was to buy them both. Still not sure about the splitter though. Fine line between staying in shape splitting wood and beating yourself up sometimes.

You can have your cake and eat it too. I do. I have a splitter that only comes out to do the 'tough' stuff or when the "to be split" stack gets too big and I need the speed.

I also totally detest walking out facing a pile of split wood waiting to be stacked. I prefer to stack it as I split manually. Looking forward to tomorrow to resume whaling away at the remainder of a load of Black Locust. Nothing done today due to sustained 35 mph winds gusting into the 50s.

Harry K

:agree2:

How you work is more important. Unless you step up into a MUCH more expensive unit (TW, etc.), they are all about the same. Anybody who thinks 2 seconds difference in cycle time matters, is simply an idiot.

The Iron and Oak pictured above has a 12 second cycle time and isn't MUCH more expensive. How you work is important, and buying equipment smart is also important. Those 4 seconds a cycle add up to alot of time over the cords and years. Time is money, any idiot knows that, or at least I thought they did.

Brushbandit, thanks for the response, but I will have to disagree. The Iron and Oak in the picture costs about $2600 plus a bit for delivery if you don't have a way to off load it for yourself. The Ariens is only $1200 dollars. They seem to have had a good reputation at one point for making tillers and such. I was simply interested in whether anyone had used one or any other equipment by Ariens. I don't split enough wood to justify the I&O, wish that I had that much wood to split, but don't. Also the cycle time is only 8 seconds on the I&O, not sure if they are measured the same or not though. Furthermore, if I was going to spend $2600, I would get the HD Super Split, it is way faster than either and for the wood I get out here, it would surely work well.

The Iron and Oak pictured above has a 12 second cycle time and isn't MUCH more expensive. How you work is important, and buying equipment smart is also important. Those 4 seconds a cycle add up to alot of time over the cords and years. Time is money, any idiot knows that, or at least I thought they did.

As has been pointed out, the cycle times listed only apply to the full extension/retract cycle. Anyone who runs one and lets it 'deadhead' through empty space... One can also install some 'stroke limiters' to automatically stop the retract from going all the way. Speed isn't everything.

Harry K

Back