Assembling the NOS 084

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gumnuts

Gumnuts

ArboristSite Guru
Australia / Victoria / Mornington Peninsula
Just nutting it out !!!!

What's the story on internal and external seals.
Is this applicable for the 84 ? My new case came with bearings insalled. Read a thread on seals that promotes internal placement.External seating
will not be as good on pressure test.Understand the
principle .Sounds like either way OK as long as dirko ( or loc 680) outer rim
and white grease inner dust seal rim.

My repair book only refers to external instalation.

Andy or whoever if internal applicable can you tell me the steps .Using an arbor.
123..>/
Internally fitted seals - do they just fit against the bearing step form the inside ?

:greenchainsaw: :)

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Wow - now those seals look shot( under-statement).If it came out that easy will you need to find a bigger outer diameter bearing ,as the journals are worn OR bog a new one with loctite ? :(

The bearing is custom, so no oversize available. In any case, it's only about 1-2 thou wear, which is like an elephant in bearing fits.

My preference - get another case.

Options (ebay sale product):

- manually "dimple" the inner case surface, then red loctite the bearing in.
or
- find a retired machinest with more time on his hands than he knows what to do with.. and sleeve then grind out for a heavy bearing fit... pita... at best.

I'm not sure what the owner will do. He left with large box of parts.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
What's the story on internal and external seals.
Is this applicable for the 84 ? My new case came with bearings insalled. Read a thread on seals that promotes internal placement.External seating
will not be as good on pressure test.Understand the
principle .Sounds like either way OK as long as dirko ( or loc 680) outer rim
and white grease inner dust seal rim.

My repair book only refers to external instalation.

Andy or whoever if internal applicable can you tell me the steps .Using an arbor.
123..>/
Internally fitted seals - do they just fit against the bearing step form the inside ?

:greenchainsaw: :)

On a case with mag journals, just heat it to 300F and drop the bearing in. If the case is sleeved with STEEL ring (clutch side - most Pro stihls), heat case, then insert bearing with the press - guide the bearing with an arbor made such that the pressing is ONLY on the outer race. Case must be perfectly in place with the press and bearng, so it's easier to press from the outside in, then flip over and adjust back to the oil pump or stop. I showed pics of this in the 066 case split thread.. I think...

yes... seals can fit inside the bearing. Stops the problem of the case expanding and the seal popping out.

There is NO issue with pressure test... very tight fits..

Last edited:
Gumnuts

Gumnuts

ArboristSite Guru
I'll warn you of this. If you choose to remove a cage on a new bearing, the bearing is so tight that the balls are not easy to realign. I got it done though.

Was wondering about that.
hmmm....maybe i think to much .Just looking at the pros and cons hmm....
thanks guys.

Would'nt heating it in foil covered container help prevent burn or bubble, if one does'nt have convection oven.

Gumnuts

Gumnuts

ArboristSite Guru
On a case with mag journals, just heat it to 300F and drop the bearing in. If the case is sleeved with STEEL ring (clutch side - most Pro stihls), heat case, then insert bearing with the press - guide the bearing with an arbor made such that the pressing is ONLY on the outer race. Case must be perfectly in place with the press and bearng, so it's easier to press from the outside in, then flip over and adjust back to the oil pump or stop. I showed pics of this in the 066 case split thread.. I think...

yes... seals can fit inside the bearing. Stops the problem of the case expanding and the seal popping out.

There is NO issue with pressure test... very tight fits..

thanks Guys

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Why this is my wife's kitchen oven of course:) So it's radiant. Same place I found that handy dishwasher, which I need to throw a couple things in. This wasn't the first time I saw this happen. I just wasn't sure of it. Now I am. This is what ever Stihl's factory finish is.

I'm working on editing the pictures so show the beginning of my assembly process.

That's you problem... spot temperatures in a radiant oven can be MANY times the air temp... especially if the item is exposed to the heating elements. Radiant temperature control is AVERAGE - adjusts the duty cycle max on and off. A convection just heats the air... much nicer.. and safer. You'd be better off with my cardbord box shade-tree convection oven.

Some suggest covering the item with foil. I say don't - just use convection...

The black plastic retainer in the bearings would have been very unhappy in a radiant environment..

Last edited:
blsnelling
Hey Gumnuts. Ever seen this tie before? I had my wife shoot this after I spent the evening in the garage working on the 084.

248941550-M.jpg

Gumnuts

Gumnuts

ArboristSite Guru
thanks for the pic - looking out for the Sunday one

Hey Gumnuts. Ever seen this tie before? I had my wife shoot this after I spent the evening in the garage working on the 084.

248941550-M.jpg

:rock:

I'll have to show the wife / Sandy, when she gets in.She'll get a buzz.

NOW WHAT SHIRT WILL I WEAR....HMM....:D

( thanks for the OTT wrap )

blsnelling
I thought I'd show some of the steps in assembling this saw. These are all from tonight.

Before I got too far, I though I'd take a pic of my new parts collection.
248939925-M.jpg

Here are the case halves already together. Enought about that dead horse. Torque the case bolts to 102 in/lbs. This shot was taken out of sequence as you can tell by the oil seal already being installed.
248939775-M.jpg

Dribble some straight 2-stroke oil on the bearings.
248939641-M.jpg

Place a coat of oil on the seal lips themselves.
248939650-M.jpg

Here I'm installing the oil seal. It's very important to stay on the outer edge of the seal. Otherwise you will bend and distort the metal, possibly causing the seal to fail. It's also very important to make sure you do not roll the back side of the seal and cause the spring to come off. I do this by "wollering" the seal lip around the crank until it just slips over it.
248939664-M.jpg

The reflective foil has been applied. This is not as care free as you might think if you want it nice and straight and fitted to the curves of the case.
248939557-M.jpg

Here's something I'd never run into before tonight. The flywheel I bought is seriously cracked. If not caught, this would have likely led to a catastrophic failure. Lukily, I had another in the spare parts pile.
248939761-M.jpg

As you can see, it comes from the keyway.
248939774-M.jpg

blsnelling
Here's the nice, freshly cleaned up spare flywheel installed.
248939929-M.jpg

Looks to me like it's time for a P&C. A couple things here not pictured. Oil the needle bearing well before installation. Also lube the wrist pin. Install the piston so that the arrow on top is pointing towards the exhaust side. Place a towel over the case opening before installing the circlip. OK, I didn't. MAKE SURE THE CIRCLIP DOESN'T BEND AND IS PROPERLY IN PLACE!!! It's hard to swallow $350 for a new P&C over such a simple mistake. Double check you work. Also take care to put the end gap of the circlip at 12:00 or 6:00. Finally, put a coat of oil in the installed piston walls, including the rings.
248940068-M.jpg

Put a coat of oil on the cylinder wall.
248940069-M.jpg

The piston stop and ring compressors can be gotten by without but are only a few bucks from Baileys.
248940199-M.jpg

While holding the ring compressor, slide the cylinder straight down onto the piston. Do not twist it back and forth. You may catch the end of a ring.
248940237-M.jpg

Tighten it down in a criss-cross pattern. Torque to 132 in/lbs.
248940245-M.jpg

Install the decompression valve.
248940325-M.jpg

Don't forget this little screw/plug. It'll put a hole in your plastic if you do. Trust me on this one. I know.
248940373-M.jpg

blsnelling
Now here's something I'll likely catch some flack over, but that's OK. Won't be the first time. I like to put high-temp RTV on the muffler gasket to help make sure there are no leaks. I've got a clean saw here and don't want oil running down the cylinder onto the case where I can't get to it to clean it off easily. I've done this on V-8 headers as well. I've even done this to seal muffler covers on my saws.
248940370-M.jpg

I had a clearance issue here. No, it doesn't matter that Stihl wants your first born to buy one of these things. Didn't stop me from take a carful hammer to it thought.
248940427-M.jpg

And here's how I left it for the night.
248940454-M.jpg

blsnelling
Just a little disclaimer here. I only this week got my first specialty Stihl tool, a flywheel puller. Go figure, it doesn't even fit the 084:( But it fits most others. Everything I do is with common hand tools, 25 years of watching Dad and learning on my own, a little patience(sometimes), and a little luck. I can't leave out the knowledge that has come from you guys here at AS. There may be some that frown at some of my methods, maybe not. But the moral of the story is this. You can do this stuff too!! Take pictures and ask questions. The first saw I ever took apart was a 026 I bought here less than 1 1/2 years ago. I love tinkering with these things and get a lot of enjoyment out of it. I hope someone benefits from something here.

blsnelling
Brad,

Great post, and pictures. Very good step by step instructions. Thanks for taking the time to share.

I think it's all part of the disease. I'm normally a very driven person and wouldn't want to slow down to take pictures. What I'm figuring out, is that this addiction is not just to saws, but to AS. So I have to take the time for the pictures so that I have them to post on the forum here:clap: