ATV Recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a few pics, as stated earlier we like our Hondas, although today there are many good brands to select from.

atv_1.jpg

atv_2.jpg

atv_3.jpg

atv_4.jpg

atv_5.jpg

Man that is fun, I got to get out more

I cant believe only one other kawi on the site? ive got a 650 prarie, i put the diff mounted 2in receiver in the rear. it will tow just about anything, i haul a half cord at a time through the swampy mud, creeks, snow, whatever. ive even pulled a k-5 blazer with 35's, my truck with a empty car trailer, etc.

for play it will keep up with or beat alot of sport machines. its got all sealed joints, no grease fittings to fool with, the rear brakes are in the rear end. all i have to do is wash it and change the oil and diff fluid once year.

best of all it costs less than comparable models.

ive ridden everything but zuk's and i wouldnt have anything else.

I cant believe only one other kawi on the site? ive got a 650 prarie, i put the diff mounted 2in receiver in the rear. it will tow just about anything, i haul a half cord at a time through the swampy mud, creeks, snow, whatever. ive even pulled a k-5 blazer with 35's, my truck with a empty car trailer, etc.

for play it will keep up with or beat alot of sport machines. its got all sealed joints, no grease fittings to fool with, the rear brakes are in the rear end. all i have to do is wash it and change the oil and diff fluid once year.

best of all it costs less than comparable models.

ive ridden everything but zuk's and i wouldnt have anything else.
Yep

Is your Suzuki 500 the Vinson version? I'm not sure if the Vinson came out in 2001 or 2002. And is it manual or auto? For a solid rear axle 4wheeler, the Vinson 500 manual (from 2003) would be my choice.

Kevin

Kevin,
I have a 2001 Arctic Cat 500 auto, the same machine as the Vinson.It is a working devil, plowing and pulling a DR mower in all weather without a hitch.I guess they are not known for their speed, but it is plenty fast for me.I got it used from a guy who used it every day for five years on his farm.

Honda

We have an 03 Rubicon and its held up well with the abuse it gets.

Personally I would not buy an atv with the belt drive snowmobile clutch system. My snowmobiles needed the clutches rebuilt or replaced every couple years and a new belt every year. I just want my atv to work.

Man that is fun, I got to get out more

Yeah, we are in our 30s & 40s, and sometimes feel like teenagers... Our wifes think were'all nuts... We try to go on a 'ride' once or twice a year....Lots of fun and great stress relief from the everyday hustle. Glad you enjoyed the pics..... :)

Last edited:
We use to do that kinda stuff every weekend... :givebeer: I feel really old right now.

I bought a new Honda TRX250r back in 86,saw a stock one in the paper today listed for $700 more than what I paid for mine.

What year model is yours? Manual shift or auto? I've been doing "research" for many years on what 4wheeler I would buy and the Arctic Cat 500 manual (starting from 2004) is what's getting my vote right now. I would like a 500 class machine, manual shift (semi-auto), and independent suspension at all corners. I know the solid rear axle has been said is better for work, but my machine would be mostly for recreation. The riding I like to do (with friends on their 4wheelers) includes some fairly technical riding, so ground clearance and full independent suspension would be nice. From my experience around other friends 4wheelers, Honda would be my choice for a work machine.

Why don't I have a 4wheeler yet? I'm picky and don't have the funds (yet) for what I really want.

Kevin

Hi Kevin!
Mine is a 2005 w/auto. My wife drives it as much as I do and the auto is easier. It is great for trail riding, has longer suspension, higher ground clearance and independent suspension than other utility quads I looked at. One thing I noticed is with with the wider track following your buddies on the technical sections is different. You have to pick your own line and know your wheels aren't going to match the quad in front of you. You get used to it, but if you have been riding quads that are similar track width you will notice the difference right off. I'm happy with mine, it works hard and plays hard and hasn't needed any service so far.
Dok

Mine is not the Vinson as far as I know. Decals say it is a quadmaster 500.It is fully auto operation hi/lo and reverse. I seen the vinsons on ebay and mine looks to be 99% identical to it.Not sure what the differences are.I got mine for what i thought was a great deal considering how lightly it was used,so i jumped on it.I dont use it much,its only got 530 miles on it.This is the first winter ill have it,so the 4x4 will come in handy,Ive got a 42" plow on my warrior,that will work much better on the 500 4x4,so its going on it soon. I have a jacobsen 3422 utility truck i use for most of my wood towing or off road hauling around the property.It has 2800 lb payload,and easily tows my 14ft dump around the golf course when im gathering wood.I keep the saws.oil gas,tools,etc in the jacobsens dump body,and put the wood in the dump trailer,it works great as long as your not in muddy ground,where the 3422 will get stuck.

I think my buddy had the same machine...might have been a few years older. Only once he got water in the belt housing and had to drain it and let it dry...but it only happened once. He later traded (or sold ?) for a newer Vinson manual shift.

Kevin

and the old bombardier traxters were pretty mean too. Find a 500 with the step through design and it will haul just about whatever you can hook it to.

In british columbia in the okanagan valley and in the vineyards they have honda ATV's with 50,000kms on them, no other brand even comes close in terms of durability and longevity. If you are hauling, towing and just plain working your quad go honda and never look back... if you do alot of trail riding and rally type riding then you may want to look into something with independant rear suspension. I have heard great things about the new rincon, although alot of people don't like the lack of first gear and no engine braking... It is a trail riding quad and not a work bike.

2004 rubicon

Keep in mind a few things.. You sound like you plan to work your atv as much as play on it. HONDA has a transmission..not a cheap belt drive. I have been reamed about this before but I have never replaced anything on mine. never smoked the belt trying to ease up a curb. I plow my tiny 80' drive and most of my neighbors every year..haul trees out of the thicket to cut..hauled a few deer out of the brush too. If you buy something to work. Make damn sure it has the gearing to do what you want it to.

Yes the rubicon has honda's exclusive "hondamatic" transmission which is a hydrostatic transmission - no gears to shift and no belts to slip, the smoothest on the market

the 2001-2004 honda foreman ES's were the best honda's ever, modern enough with the electric shift, digital display and 2wd-4wd shift on the fly, but still very durable and very well built.

Kevin,
I have a 2001 Arctic Cat 500 auto, the same machine as the Vinson.It is a working devil, plowing and pulling a DR mower in all weather without a hitch.I guess they are not known for their speed, but it is plenty fast for me.I got it used from a guy who used it every day for five years on his farm.

I've heard nothing but good so far about the Suzuki 500 engine that is in the Vinson's and Arctic Cat 500's.

Hi Kevin!
Mine is a 2005 w/auto. My wife drives it as much as I do and the auto is easier. It is great for trail riding, has longer suspension, higher ground clearance and independent suspension than other utility quads I looked at. One thing I noticed is with with the wider track following your buddies on the technical sections is different. You have to pick your own line and know your wheels aren't going to match the quad in front of you. You get used to it, but if you have been riding quads that are similar track width you will notice the difference right off. I'm happy with mine, it works hard and plays hard and hasn't needed any service so far.
Dok

Good stuff! I keep going back and forth on what I would like...auto or manual. The auto mainly for my wife (she does know how to shift, but would prefer the auto) when she would be riding around the house and to my mom-in-laws. I would rather the manual to have more control of the engine and I actually like shifting, picking the right gear for whatever terrain. I've ridden auto's and they are fine, but I just like the way a manual operates. Has there been times where you would want a maunal on some technical sections of a trail?

Kevin

Keep in mind a few things.. You sound like you plan to work your atv as much as play on it. HONDA has a transmission..not a cheap belt drive. I have been reamed about this before but I have never replaced anything on mine. never smoked the belt trying to ease up a curb. I plow my tiny 80' drive and most of my neighbors every year..haul trees out of the thicket to cut..hauled a few deer out of the brush too. If you buy something to work. Make damn sure it has the gearing to do what you want it to.

I know the belt drive 4wheelers have gotten better over the years...but I just like 'gears'...even for a trail machine. Maybe I'm just old school.

Kevin

Find a dealer nearby that you like and that you think will be good to work with...then buy that brand. The bottom line is that this is a Ford vs. Chevy thing. All of the major players make good stuff, you'll just want a good supply of parts and knowlege nearby.

As for particular features....4x4 is a must. A winch is also VERY handy. I wouldn't go any smaller than a 400cc and you'll prolly find a 500 or 650 is a good size. The 800cc quads are scary powerful and I'm pretty sure that I'd be wrapped around a tree within 15 seconds on one. Then again, a lot will depend on the terrain where you will be using it.

I've only had the "belt drive" style transmission and never had a problem. I have over 2500 miles on my '05 Can Am (Bombardier) Outlander 400XT and I still have the original belt on it. When I finally replace my 400XT it will be with an Outlander 650XT....hopefully with the tracks on it for more fun in the snow:rock:

Go arctic cat (400) and never look back great machine, I have also had honda (forman 450) no independant rear supension, polaris (sportsman 500 junk broken motor mounts bad "computer" ect), yamaha (timberwolf 250 under powered for what I was using it for), and suzuki (400 great machine sold it to my dad) liked all but the polaris piece of junk did not hold up to work maybe ok for play but I use atvs for hauling wood and plowing snow the polaris just kept having problems

I'm currently in the market for a 4x4 as well. It's time to sell the toys and buy a work horse. I've got a Raptor and a Ski Doo Rev I want to fund my new 'toy' with. Been looking around, was set on the Foreman 500 (non rubicon). Heard a lot about Honda's lack of power. Some say as much as 100cc difference to comparable quads. Since I'm dumping the Raptor, I want something fun for trails n stuff as well. So I've been thinking of a Kawasaki Brute Force.

How many of you are using an IRS quad? Any problems with pulling/hauling? People on the ATV forum were pretty opinionated with SRA vs IRS with about 60% saying IRS being fine for work. I'm leaning towards IRS now since it will be a trail quad too.

Oh Really?

Try out a Polaris or Yamaha sometime and you would see the difference. The Polaris ATVs Ive owned would outpush, outtow and outhaul anything Honda has ever made.
To each their own though. If you like your Hondas, thats cool.

Perhaps that's the case my friend - - but remember my machines are 19 years old - an age a Polaris could only dream about ever attaining . And by the way the Honda 300's are only 288cc - - - I doubt the sub 300cc Polaris could barely move itself, let alone a trailer loaded with a half cord of oak, and do it faithfully for 19 years.
Just another point - The Polaris ATVs I've ridden are Top Heavy poor handling POS! - - - But I'll say they are fast! And I agree, to each his own.

Al :clap:

Back