Auction ending need advice! Echo CS400.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neelix

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Torn between 2 saws the Makita DS401 or the Echo CS400, service is available locally for both, and is 250 a fair price for these new? The cost is the same for either and both will be used for light/medium duty. Cutting tops etc.

Thanks

I have a couple of the Makitas, and like them. The Echo is a newer design, but has plastic cases around the shortblock. The Makita(Dolmar) has vertically split magnesium cases like pro saws. The Echo has a catalytic muffler while the Makita doesn't. Both will need tuning to make the mixture rich enough for the saws to run properly. The Makita is 8.8# while the Echo is closer to 10.5#.

For me this would be a no-brainer.

$250 really isnt all that good of a deal on the Echo. You can go to any Echo dealer or any Home Depot and buy the exact same thing for $300.
After you buy it on Ebay and pay shipping, you really arent saving much money.

Get the Makita, that is an awesome saw. I plan to get a 401 one of these days.

Get one while you can. The Dolmar/Makita 401s have been discontinued in favor of the new, heavier 420.:mad:

I bought another 401 used, and reputed to be scored. Finally I had an excuse to pull the top end and see what they look like inside. True, the conrod is flat with uncaged rollers, but rather sturdy looking, more so than a Stihl 024. The piston is 40mm, single 1.5mm thick ring. Transfers are open into the crankcase.

The saw had 120# compression cold, but the ring was stuck, and I couldn't free it without breaking it.:mad: The cylinder has a just a thin vertical line of aluminum transfer, so will clean up beautifully.:clap: I checked squish, and it would have been .037" with the .015" fiber base gasket. I will delete the gasket, and this should boost compression by 20# in that size bore.:)

Recommended max rpm is listed at 12K. The stock muffler is restrictive. With a minimal mod to the muffler outlet and retune, my "runner" was turning just shy of 13K. With another mod to the internal baffle It turned 14.2K+, but seems strongest 13.6K-13.8K tested "in the wood". This was muffler modded and carb tuning only, so no porting or removal of the base gasket was required.:)

Get one while you can. The Dolmar/Makita 401s have been discontinued in favor of the new, heavier 420.:mad:

I bought another 401 used, and reputed to be scored. Finally I had an excuse to pull the top end and see what they look like inside. True, the conrod is flat with uncaged rollers, but rather sturdy looking, more so than a Stihl 024. The piston is 40mm, single 1.5mm thick ring. Transfers are open into the crankcase.

The saw had 120# compression cold, but the ring was stuck, and I couldn't free it without breaking it.:mad: The cylinder has a just a thin vertical line of aluminum transfer, so will clean up beautifully.:clap: I checked squish, and it would have been .037" with the .015" fiber base gasket. I will delete the gasket, and this should boost compression by 20# in that size bore.:)

Recommended max rpm is listed at 12K. The stock muffler is restrictive. With a minimal mod to the muffler outlet and retune, my "runner" was turning just shy of 13K. With another mod to the internal baffle It turned 14.2K+, but seems strongest 13.6K-13.8K tested "in the wood". This was muffler modded and carb tuning only, so no porting or removal of the base gasket was required.:)[/QU

Not sure if I will mod it but I did buy it!!

I was going to also advise against the Echo in that comparison, only because my local HD had them on clearance for $260 new out of the box... I guess now it can just be for folks who search in the future...

Not sure if I will mod it but I did buy it!![/QUOTE]

I think that you'll be pleased. If it seems cold blooded or sluggish on acceleration, it probably needs tuned richer. Keep us posted.

echocs400

I have both saws. I like the echo, after removing the cat and adjusting the
carb, it beats my stihl ms250, Makita's(dolmar) are The best saw made in
my opinion, they have been in buisness longer than the others and their saws
are second to NONE. 250 for an ebay echo is not so good. I paid 230
at the HD. Yep, HD. I've seen them for less than 2 bills new on ebay, almost tempted to get another.

Latest posts

Back