Axmen starts with Hendrix playing a Dylan song, and it seems to fit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:cry: Well, here we go again. The Bar Length discussion. Here it is in my view, I like using a 28 inch bar and wish it were longer when cutting a bent over 4 inch alder that I have no other way to cut. If a tree is standing by the alder, I'll reach around from behind that tree. There's just no way I can figure to cut them without the SPRONG sometimes. Now, those guys are cutting blowdown, which is under a lot of pressure in some strange ways. Would you want to stand close to it with your short bar and cut away? Or would you prefer to be at a distance where it might not get in your face if you've misjudged the compression/release. Limbing. How will your back hold up while you are walking ON the tree limbing it. That is the way the production cutters limb conifers. Imagine doing that with a 10 inch bar 6 hours a day. Macho? I don't think so. Practical, yes. Production cutting is a different world...:cheers:

I saw it last light. I don't understand why they need such long bars for such small trees. Never saw a tree over 2 feet thick but they are using 40 inch bars. Must be a macho thing.

I asked this same question on another post was got razzed for it. I haven't seen anything on that show that is any bigger than what we cut. Matter of fact on average it looks smaller/thinner.

If a TV camera adds at least 5-10 pounds to some women. It sure must take about 300 board feet and 1-2 feet in diameter off of a tree, LOL.

I'm with you, about the long bars. AS PER THE SHOW, I haven't seen one reason to not use a 28" or shorter bar, except that they like to use their chainsaws as walking sticks and maybe they make for a better handle when thrown over the shoulder, I dunno??

Sam

:cry: Well, here we go again. The Bar Length discussion. Here it is in my view, I like using a 28 inch bar and wish it were longer when cutting a bent over 4 inch alder that I have no other way to cut. If a tree is standing by the alder, I'll reach around from behind that tree. There's just no way I can figure to cut them without the SPRONG sometimes. Now, those guys are cutting blowdown, which is under a lot of pressure in some strange ways. Would you want to stand close to it with your short bar and cut away? Or would you prefer to be at a distance where it might not get in your face if you've misjudged the compression/release. Limbing. How will your back hold up while you are walking ON the tree limbing it. That is the way the production cutters limb conifers. Imagine doing that with a 10 inch bar 6 hours a day. Macho? I don't think so. Practical, yes. Production cutting is a different world...:cheers:

Thanks, for the explaination.

Sam

Ever think that those guys are logging smaller timber right now and they dont want to swap bars all day for every stand? Next job could be old growth or whatever in larger timber. Maybe its for the show, but if these guys are dedicated loggers I bet they know what saws and bars to run for what they do.

Never saw anything over 2 feet on the show. Even with a 3 footer, all you need to cut a 3 foot tree is 24 inch bar, use a sweeping motion. Who needs to sharpen the teeth on a 40 inch bar?? You can even cut a 48 inch tree with a 24 inch bar if your poke and hope.

No, it's a macho thing.

BAAAAANNNNNNNEEEEEEDDDDDDDDD!!!!! :hmm3grin2orange: :deadhorse:

Watch the violent release some of the stems have and you will understand the need for bar length. Even with those long bars those sawyers have some guts!

I am impressed with the way the crews deal with the working conditions.

Ever think that those guys are logging smaller timber right now and they dont want to swap bars all day for every stand? Next job could be old growth or whatever in larger timber. Maybe its for the show, but if these guys are dedicated loggers I bet they know what saws and bars to run for what they do.

No come to think of it I had not thought of that.

I had not also thought that maybe the government out there will only let them own one bar and chain and they must be welded to the saw at the time of sale. It is possible that these saws are the saws of their forefathers and the days of "Big Wood".

Like you said, possibly they were in fact cutting 5 foot trees just minutes before the cameras showed up, but now all that is left is 16" diameter stuff.

I guess, there are several scenarios that we haven't thought of, any of which could be likely reasons for walking around 45 degree or steeper hills with a 48" bar cutting "Pecker Poles".

Thank you, for the explanation. I hadn't thought of that one,

Sam

I asked this same question on another post was got razzed for it. I haven't seen anything on that show that is any bigger than what we cut. Matter of fact on average it looks smaller/thinner.

If a TV camera adds at least 5-10 pounds to some women. It sure must take about 300 board feet and 1-2 feet in diameter off of a tree, LOL.

I'm with you, about the long bars. AS PER THE SHOW, I haven't seen one reason to not use a 28" or shorter bar, except that they like to use their chainsaws as walking sticks and maybe they make for a better handle when thrown over the shoulder, I dunno??

Sam

Slamm why can't you accept the fact that the guys on the show are full time professional loggers and have developed a technique that works. I don't give a rip what you do in the woods or what size bar you use, in fact I don't even want to know. Just leave it be.

OK, whatever, not worth the argument. I posted my opinion, thats it. Im not a logger, so I wouldnt know, and actually, I dont care.

Slamm why can't you accept the fact that the guys on the show are full time professional loggers and have developed a technique that works. I don't give a rip what you do in the woods or what size bar you use, in fact I don't even want to know. Just leave it be.

Oh quit your whining. I don't care what length bar they like to carry around. I do like the explanation about the leaners and such and if that is why they use longer bars then fine by me.

I'm a rookie and incorrectly assumed that you used longer bars for bigger trees. While I am a lowly Midwest logger, I am stand-up enough to know when I don't know what I am talking about. That being said, I will start switching to my 48" bar when I have a 16" leaner.

Now, I feel like ordering a full wrap, come to think of it, LOL.

I'm just playing, they can have their 4,000 foot cable drags. I'll stick to my skidder.

Have fun,

Sam

So I researched and answered my own question and will post for others who might care ;)

I asked earlier about the domino-falling (using one tree to knock down another). I found this on the WA State Legislature website:

(9) Domino falling of trees, including danger trees, is prohibited. Domino falling does not include the falling of a single danger tree by falling another single tree into it.

Now my new question is this: What was so dangerous about that 16" DBH tree? Why would you use a much larger tree to knock down such a wimpy tree? I guess the smaller "danger" tree could have kicked back off of a log on the ground but AFAICT he had endless possibilities for escape routes. He was cutting on the edge of the cut block and could've just ran right into the standing trees.

I know the show is filmed in Oregon but thought laws might be similar.

So I researched and answered my own question and will post for others who might care ;)

I asked earlier about the domino-falling (using one tree to knock down another). I found this on the WA State Legislature website:

Now my new question is this: What was so dangerous about that 16" DBH tree? Why would you use a much larger tree to knock down such a wimpy tree? I guess the smaller "danger" tree could have kicked back off of a log on the ground but AFAICT he had endless possibilities for escape routes. He was cutting on the edge of the cut block and could've just ran right into the standing trees.

I know the show is filmed in Oregon but thought laws might be similar.

I think he said the tree had a back lean.

Do not question what they do in the PNW, you won't always understand the explaination and secondly they will gang up on you and call for your banning, LOL.

Sam

Do not question what they do in the PNW, you won't always understand the explaination and secondly they will gang up on you and call for your banning, LOL.

Sam

Come on, it was a simple question. Cant we all be grown ups here? I dont care if all the PNW people gang up on me, I will state my opinion no matter what. I really dont see the PNW people ganging up, either. If Im wrong I apologize.

There is a show called risk takers. About a month ago, it was on loggers in Oregon. One guy did the same thing, he had good reason, can't excatly remember though. Don't comment on something you don't understand!!!

@2dogs: Thanks! Now it is all coming back to me.

I guess, there are several scenarios that we haven't thought of, any of which could be likely reasons for walking around 45 degree or steeper hills with a 48" bar cutting "Pecker Poles".

How about not having to sharpen your chain as often? The longer the bar, the less each cutting tooth interacts with the wood.

Maybe it's a PNW thing, but I find that cutting a 16" DBH tree with a 25" FS b/c combo is really some kind of wonderful. :)

@parrisw: Who was your comment directed towards?

Back