Axmen starts with Hendrix playing a Dylan song, and it seems to fit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I researched and answered my own question and will post for others who might care ;)

I asked earlier about the domino-falling (using one tree to knock down another). I found this on the WA State Legislature website:

Now my new question is this: What was so dangerous about that 16" DBH tree? Why would you use a much larger tree to knock down such a wimpy tree? I guess the smaller "danger" tree could have kicked back off of a log on the ground but AFAICT he had endless possibilities for escape routes. He was cutting on the edge of the cut block and could've just ran right into the standing trees.

I know the show is filmed in Oregon but thought laws might be similar.

On a snag falling job I do each year I drive a fair number of trees. These are usually in the 16"-30" DBH range. They are pines and firs. Snags don't fall like a live tree and in addition many are either limb locked or at least have limbs of several trees affecting the direction of fall. Plus the trees are close together and a good escape route doesn't always exist. Some of the trees are in soft sand and pull the root plate when they fall so sometimes I can drive with a tree in better soil. So I like to cripple the snag and then drive it with another.

I don't know for sure but I would bet more people are injured or killed with smaller trees, say up tp 3' DBH, than larger trees.

I don't know for sure but I would bet more people are injured or killed with smaller trees, say up tp 3' DBH, than larger trees.

Thank you, Mr. Obvious!

LOL, Sorry, I couldn't help that one, LOL.

I know you hate me, but that was funny.

Sam

It applies to anybody?? Not trying to offend anyone, but seems allot of people around here comment on stuff they don't know anything about. What works for you, doesn't necessarily work for somebody else.

It's the nature of the internet. I try to preface my comments when I am on unfamiliar ground but sometimes I forget to.

parrisw: Your comment was just very broad that's all. "one guy did the same thing."

I don't know how my question of domino-felling turned into an east-coast / west-coast pissing contest again!

parrisw: Your comment was just very broad that's all. "one guy did the same thing."

I don't know how my question of domino-felling turned into an east-coast / west-coast pissing contest again!

ha ha ha , ya, they don't need any reason to have a pissing contest. I just wish they pissed into the wind so I could have a laugh.

He did say the tree had a back lean and that he was going to knock it over with a second tree. It looked pretty safe to me.

Yup. He got the tree on the ground, made his lay, and nobody got hurt. We could nit-pick a lot of this stuff to death but the guy doing it still makes the calls. And pays for it if the calls are wrong.

They do drive trees here in Warshington also. Usually when one is hung up.
So, how does one make a hangup "roll" off? I came up to a couple of fallers and one was telling the other that he thought he could roll the tree out. We're talking 14 inchers. The guy did get the hangup out for the other guy.
I was too far away to see what he did. I'll have to carry my glasses with me this year.

I've dominoed trees on several occasions. usually in steep(er) ground when ever a tree wants to go uphill(they typically will go downhill) I'll set it up and turn it loose and then walk up the hill and cut one into it and knock it down.. and then i get to go back down the hill and wade through all the mess and top them

Dominoeing is alright if you can get a clear lay. It can be bad, though, if you're falling brittle wood, big cedar or redwood, and you miss the lay. If some of that big stuff doesn't save out you're going to hear about it. Real soon.

I was wondeering about the bar length thing also when watching the guy topping the spar then realized it would have been the only saw he had there and wsn't about to stop and change a bar/chain for one cut.

I too, amatuer wood chopper that I am, like a long bar as I work everything from saplings to 4' dbh. Of course I carry a small saw and will change saws for the smaller stuff. Limbing? Big bar rules!

As for nit-picking the problems they show: This is a TV show! I will bet everyone of those problems from ssticking the yarder, to the lost gas cap were planned in advance and then staged.

Director: We need a 'carriage problem', anyone got one?

Logger: Well, we lost a gas cap once and....

Directore: Perfect, let's do it.

Anyone who thinks the one with the broken buckle would really happen needs a reality check...well, I have seen some hardscrabble outfits where something like that might happen.

Harry K

I was wondeering about the bar length thing also when watching the guy topping the spar then realized it would have been the only saw he had there and wsn't about to stop and change a bar/chain for one cut.

I too, amatuer wood chopper that I am, like a long bar as I work everything from saplings to 4' dbh. Of course I carry a small saw and will change saws for the smaller stuff. Limbing? Big bar rules!

As for nit-picking the problems they show: This is a TV show! I will bet everyone of those problems from ssticking the yarder, to the lost gas cap were planned in advance and then staged.

Director: We need a 'carriage problem', anyone got one?

Logger: Well, we lost a gas cap once and....

Directore: Perfect, let's do it.

Anyone who thinks the one with the broken buckle would really happen needs a reality check...well, I have seen some hardscrabble outfits where something like that might happen.

Harry K

Believe me, the carriage problems and the fuel cap thing probably happened. Those carriages get and take a lot of abuse and they frequently break down.
I suggested once that maybe the crews ought to keep an old Christie carriage in reserve and I really got snarled at. The motorized carriages make line pulling so much easier. Let me see, the antenna in the carriage gets knocked loose, the wiring gets knocked loose, I believe the fuel cap got lost here too, the carriage leaks and runs out of fuel, and one crew let the carriage run out of oil, which caused them a week of down time while they waited for it to get the engine rebuilt. Other things? The hooktender is learning to run the shovel and puts a log into the yarder radiator, the bugs quit working, the tail tree pulls over, the yarder breaks down for one of many reasons, you name it. In Northern CA or The State Of Jefferson, there was a stuck yarder we called The Incredible Sinking Yarder. Took half a year to dig it out. We're talking gypo logging. Duck tape and JB Weld. Like I said, the show was so real, it is too much like going to work.

Last edited:
They do drive trees here in Warshington also. Usually when one is hung up.
So, how does one make a hangup "roll" off? I came up to a couple of fallers and one was telling the other that he thought he could roll the tree out. We're talking 14 inchers. The guy did get the hangup out for the other guy.
I was too far away to see what he did. I'll have to carry my glasses with me this year.

You saw the "downhill" corner off, and it usually rolls out, if not there is a few other tricks.

Latest posts

Back