Back in Michigan.... but frustrated!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlowc34

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
When I was growing up my brothers and I worked for a variety of tree services, neighbors, and friends cutting down trees. In doing so I acquired the hand-me-down equipment of co-workers, friends, and family. When I moved the New York I was forced to part with all of it because I was moving into a 144 sq. ft. apartment. It's five years later and I have returned to Michigan and bought a house. And of course - I need to take down some trees! (BIG trees!) But unlike before, I have the budget to buy new and get the kind of equipment I once lusted for when I was 18. But, here's where the trouble starts. I am in the Mount Clemens area and I am having trouble finding a knowledgeable, well-stocked dealer. The first Stihl dealer I went to didn't have anything better than the Farm Boss series stuff. The next place I thought for sure was going to pan out with a huge showroom and what looked to be a seasoned veteran dealer. He asked me if I needed help, so I spilled my guts on all the models (of which he only had the 460) and asked him what he thought. He answered "Chainsaws aren't really my thing" I said "ok, thanks" and he walked away. I am looking to actually hold the models I'm interested in MS362, MS441, MS460, and the 562XP. Anybody know of good dealers for Stihl and Husky in my area?

Thanks,
Todd

Geez, i just did a store locator at the stihl usa site and there's no Elite dealers in the whole Detroit area. That stinks...
Go here:
STIHL - Find an authorized STIHL Dealer near you

and find the nearest elite dealer, then call and ask what they stock. I know Verns in Lake Odessa stocks a 660- and they're an Elite dealer.

There are 2 Elite dealers in Metro Detroit..well same place just 2 locations.

Back in Mich.

Welcome back! Have you tried googleing Stihl & Husqvarna (don't overlook Jonsered) & searching under Dealer Locator? If you were in Lansing you would have a choice of three or four Stihl & about three Husky dealers all of which seem very good to me. At two or three (2 Stihl & 1 Husky) you could handle & run any of the models you have listed. Happy hunting.

When I was growing up my brothers and I worked for a variety of tree services, neighbors, and friends cutting down trees. In doing so I acquired the hand-me-down equipment of co-workers, friends, and family. When I moved the New York I was forced to part with all of it because I was moving into a 144 sq. ft. apartment. It's five years later and I have returned to Michigan and bought a house. And of course - I need to take down some trees! (BIG trees!) But unlike before, I have the budget to buy new and get the kind of equipment I once lusted for when I was 18. But, here's where the trouble starts. I am in the Mount Clemens area and I am having trouble finding a knowledgeable, well-stocked dealer. The first Stihl dealer I went to didn't have anything better than the Farm Boss series stuff. The next place I thought for sure was going to pan out with a huge showroom and what looked to be a seasoned veteran dealer. He asked me if I needed help, so I spilled my guts on all the models (of which he only had the 460) and asked him what he thought. He answered "Chainsaws aren't really my thing" I said "ok, thanks" and he walked away. I am looking to actually hold the models I'm interested in MS362, MS441, MS460, and the 562XP. Anybody know of good dealers for Stihl and Husky in my area?

Thanks,
Todd

Like someone else said, find a dealer on StihlUSA.com that will get you the right place. I live in Michigan but work in Virginia.
We have Tommy Hall here in Leesburg, but that is a ways to go.
Corunna Michigan has a pretty good dealer at the John Deere dealership, but me and my dog Addy are better salesman. I sold a saw for them one time while I was waiting for a part when I was home.
Pick the Stihl, the MS 261 is a great 50cc saw and there are more Stihl Dealers than Husky.

:msp_smile:

There is an better then average, but buy no means stellar dealer in Woodhaven has everything from 020t through 880 decent service. I would give them a 6.5 or so on the 10 scale The dealers name is William F Sell and Sons on West road just off of I-75set off in back a little bit. If you need any more information PM me

Not much around there.

Only saw shop I know of is just north of Lapeer. They sell Husky.

A buddy of mine in Oxford is a Stihl dealer.

Weingartz BLOWS! I wouldnt buy trimmer string from those idiots.

There was a saw place down around 8 Mile and Telegraph at one time.

There was another Husky/Kubota dealer on Joslyn in Auburn Hills.

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'm going to try Munn on Lapeer near the Palace. I think they have both Husky and Stihl. If they don't work out, I'll probably make trek to go to the other places mentioned that are about an hour away. Husky needs to fix there web site. The dealer locator just does the spinning circle of death and "please wait while loading message".

-Todd

Well being just down the street in Mt. Clemens, have you tried Hellybucks, Wiengartz, I personally always use Lumber Jack Shack north of Almont on Van Dyke. Both LJS and Wiengartz have everything stihl makes. I like Lumber Jack Shack cuz of personal first name service-price and inventory. Bit of a drive but well worth it. There is another on van dyke at the john deere dealer but not sure of his inventory. Give Dave a call at LJS 810-seven24-07four3 and make sure he has what you need. The search function on stihls site isn't the best, there are plenty of elite dealers.

Stihl in Michigan

I agree, they handle many "pro" saws, service and carry other timber related tools as well as woodstoves. Staff is knowlegeble and helpful.
+3! That would be my first choice for this area. They have a complete inventory of Stihl & will let you run any saw you are interested in buying. They do not stock Husky but can get you any of them.

Larrys Mower in Ann Arbor caries both Stihl and Husky. They have a decent selection of Stihl including pro models. I ordered a Husky 365 from them a few weeks ago. They are on back order until June. Boullion sales in Dexter has a decent selection of Stihl and their parts department has been helpful to me. The last time I was there I remember they had several pro saws, MS660, MS441.
Lots of Dolmar dealers around here too. Not a bad state to be a chainsaw customer.

While you're all over the state of Michigan going to all these dealers in BFE check out some in the U.P. im sure there is atleast 1 worth the trip.

Back