Back In The Shop......Now What's On Your Bench????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds like it needs some adjustment on the L.
Yeah was thinking that too, but there are limiter caps on the screws, and between the range of that it doesn't solve the problem. So maybe take those limitercaps off and fully reset it or still do something like an air leak test or so.

Local small engine shop cleaning up for the winter and getting rid of some old saws so I went over and picked up several, Husky 55, Mac 10-10 and 55 and several old small McCulloch top handle saws and several old Poulan and Homelite saws for parts. I just got home with them and haven't cleaned them up but I did notice that most of them had compression and were fairly complete.

Local small engine shop cleaning up for the winter and getting rid of some old saws so I went over and picked up several, Husky 55, Mac 10-10 and 55 and several old small McCulloch top handle saws and several old Poulan and Homelite saws for parts. I just got home with them and haven't cleaned them up but I did notice that most of them had compression and were fairly complete.

The 55 and the 10-10 are both good saws.

I got the 10-10 yesterday. It's all there but doesn't have any spark. Probably an easy fix, I think it's old enough that it's got points. The 55 looks pretty good also, don't know if it runs or not. The Husky 55 has a fried piston and is in a box but I was told it's all there. We'll see. I'm going out tomorrow to sort it out a little better.

As I thought, the Mac 10-10 was an easy fix, just needed points cleaned and the chain sharpened and it's ready to go. The Mac 55 runs too, just needed a little fuel but someone removed part of the muffler and the sound is almost unbearable, gotta fix that. Just got done with my MS361, just needed fuel system gone through and a new bar and chain and it's ready also. How come it is that when you buy a parts saw it seldom ever has a bar and chain? Oh, well, I shouldn't complain...

Uhh, I spoke too soon about having the 361 done. It ran good for awhile but doesn't keep running and sounds like it's not getting enough fuel. It will idle forever I think but when you give it some gas it falls on it's face after a few seconds and is kinda easy to start cold but seems really cold natured, you have to warm it up slowly. I cleaned the carb, new fuel line, air filter, checked the vent by removing the gas cap while it's running and it does the same thing. I'm wondering if maybe a new carb might be in order. I checked the pulse hose as best I could without taking the saw apart and it seemed okay.

I didn't put a kit in it because it looked pretty good as if someone had already done it. I have a spare carburetor which I might rebuild and try. I've run across these before, just got done with one that wouldn't respond to a rebuild so I put a new carb on it and it ran fine. The diaphragm looked fairly soft, not brittle like some old carbs I've rebuilt and it wasn't dirty. I could tell someone had already been into it by the nail polish around the cover inside.

Take a look at the side of the carburetor without the needle and the circular diaphragm. There should be a gasket and another diaphragm. Make sure that diaphragm sits completely flat and has no waves or ripples or divets. Flat like paper.

Take a look at the side of the carburetor without the needle and the circular diaphragm. There should be a gasket and another diaphragm. Make sure that diaphragm sits completely flat and has no waves or ripples or divets. Flat like paper.
Yeah, I've already done that. It fits flat over the hole, one reason I didn't buy a kit, looks like a new kit already in it. I have a feeling it might have a little internal blockage somewhere. I started it up last night and ran it for awhile and it kept running but I still think it's not responding well to throttle. I've tried adjusting it every way and still has the same problem. The inlet lever is level with edge of carb as the manual says..

Nothing on the bench today, everything on the floor. ******* battery acid [emoji24]
60b338d392a3825ee4d0bb9accf3dc60.jpg

20151214_162639.jpg 20151214_141729.jpg

Replaced the throttle cable on the 3120 today. Pictures really do not do this saw justice showing just how big it is. First shot is next to my newly aquired 346 but the angle makes the 346 look bigger than it is. Second picture is a carb from an 026 next to the 3120 carb, gives a much better since of how big this beast is. BIG ORANGE BRICK!!!

Joe

Back