Backbarring the undercut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
660's and 394/395's are awesome. They're the kind of saw I can run because I'm not doing the work and moving at the pace TC runs. Also, a 660 is not going to be any faster in the stuff TC has been cutting than a good 460

All good points, IMHO, tc is at point of need vs want, for a $100+- more and the boss is picking up the tab.....

this is how my 460 sounds with the dual port ,its on the sawmill so it looks like the chain is dull ,but its not ,when milling the way your cutting it just is slow ,but it gives you a nicer finish with the ripping chain [video=youtube;K--HTUhYpFk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K--HTUhYpFk[/video]

Saw sounds good, nice looking lumber too.

All good points, IMHO, tc is at point of need vs want, for a $100+- more and the boss is picking up the tab.....

Absolutely. His 69th amendment rights allow him to run an 880 if he chooses. He just goes hard for 10 hrs a day in 100 degree weather and is about half the size of Cat and Northman, and extra weight is only gonna slow him down and wear him out. He's a big boy, works harder than anyone I know and will figure out what's best for himself without our help. If I had his job I'd run a ported 562xp. Carrying heavy stuff in hot weather makes me tired:cry:

Absolutely. His 69th amendment rights allow him to run an 880 if he chooses. He just goes hard for 10 hrs a day in 100 degree weather and is about half the size of Cat and Northman, and extra weight is only gonna slow him down and wear him out. He's a big boy, works harder than anyone I know and will figure out what's best for himself without our help. If I had his job I'd run a ported 562xp. Carrying heavy stuff in hot weather makes me tired:cry:

You fixated with this 562 lol.......Husk it depends on ya quota's etc etc and how ya get paid as to how much board feet ya gotta put on the floor in a day.......and also what ya cutting too

do you have 150 psi comp or better ? i think mine has around 175 by taking the base gasket out and running sealer instead of a gasket ,my squish is .023 without a gasket ,doing that and the dual port adds about 1/2 a horse i think ,doesn't sound like a lot ,but its noticable in tourque ,helps pull the longer bars better

i'd love to try that, not sure I want the hassle of taking off the jug 2-3 times. would not all of um be the same? comp. and timeing is what I suspect is lacking in all the newer saws.

It's better to have a 660 and haul it around, than to not have one and wish you could. So what, its heavy , its supposed to be. Like the 394 or 395 isn't.
50 lb barbell curls and shoulder press will cu:hmm3grin2orange:re all that

almost gotta have both. 660 for the big oak, 460 for every thing else. I don't want to pack around that extra weight unless I need it.

You fixated with this 562 lol.......Husk it depends on ya quota's etc etc and how ya get paid as to how much board feet ya gotta put on the floor in a day.......and also what ya cutting too

honestly, I don't know how he does it. 10 loads be about my best and I ain't done that in a while.
course, I am skidding too.

i'd love to try that, not sure I want the hassle of taking off the jug 2-3 times. would not all of um be the same? comp. and timeing is what I suspect is lacking in all the newer saws.

take a roll of solder ,stick it in the spark plug hole till it hits the back of the cylinder ,if you take the muffler cover off ,can see in there if roll piston down ,pull the engine over with the pull cord ,the piston will come up and smash the solder ,measure the smashed solder with micrometer if its .050 and gaskets say .025 for example ,you will have a 0.25 squish ,i like .020-.025 to be safe ,some guys run as tight as .015-.018

the best way to check is pull the jug ,take the rings off the piston ,put solder in 4 spots of the piston with some grease to hold in place ,put jug on ,2 bolts will hold it ,but the solder down the plug hole will get you there

Last edited:

Just based on what's usually going on in his vids. 562's are crazy small and light

take a roll of solder ,stick it in the spark plug hole till it hits the back of the cylinder ,if you take the muffler cover off ,can see in there if roll piston down ,pull the engine over with the pull cord ,the piston will come up and smash the solder ,measure the smashed solder with micrometer if its .050 and gaskets say .025 for example ,you will have a 0.25 squish ,i like .020-.025 to be safe ,some guys run as tight as .015-.018

thanks, no one ever told me to do it that way. do you alter ignition timing or no?

honestly, I don't know how he does it. 10 loads be about my best and I ain't done that in a while.
course, I am skidding too.

Oh my days of big production are gone lol ........but I 100% agree with ya that you pack what ya need and I'm afraid Husk a 562 wouldn't be the one I'd pack lol

thanks, no one ever told me to do it that way. do you alter ignition timing or no?

mastermind does when he does my saws ,he grinds 1/3 off the key then turns the flywheel on the key ,and holds it when tightens the bolt ,you need to run premium gas then ,he has me running bel ray h1r dirt bike oil 32 to 1

mastermind does when he does my saws ,he grinds 1/3 off the key then turns the flywheel on the key ,and holds it when tightens the bolt ,you need to run premium gas then ,he has me running bel ray h1r dirt bike oil 32 to 1

really? that's a hassle. I been runnin stihl orange bottle at 40-1 since I started. that much diff. in the oil?

Latest posts

Back