Bar length for MS270

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradah

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok.....I've decided on the 270. Same price for either 16 or 18" bar. I've used 18 in the past and it has been fine, but I like the thought of have 2 less inches to wield around. I cut maine poplar and oak. Some of the poplar can get to between 16 an 24 inches long, but that is only about 25% of the time. Can I get away with a 16" bar? Thanks for an insight, links, or videos.

Ok.....I've decided on the 270. Same price for either 16 or 18" bar. I've used 18 in the past and it has been fine, but I like the thought of have 2 less inches to wield around. I cut maine poplar and oak. Some of the poplar can get to between 16 an 24 inches long, but that is only about 25% of the time. Can I get away with a 16" bar? Thanks for an insight, links, or videos.

I always try to use the shortest bar I can get by with

I have a 16" bar on mine. For some reason it came with a 20" but I think that's a bit optimistic. It's a good saw. I have yet to see anyone that owns one not like it. A muffler mod will wake it up a little.

id get a 16" then maybe add 20" later.

for what its worth id run a 20" on my 026 with no hesitation but i feel 18" is plenty close with over bucking while bucking fire wood.

whiles running the 18" on my 044 ive found that even with the big dawgs i can buck some pretty big wood if i over buck alot.

also that 270 is very good choice. i realy love the handleing and ergos on this saw and i got thinkn. that if i had this saw id run a 16" and not bother with worring about added a longer bar later. 16" saws will get plenty of work done. just as much as 16" on 361 with huge cash saveings.

very good choice.

Last edited:
How to....

Ok......well I've always used an 18" but liked the feel of the 16" when I was looking at them (MS270) the other day. Is there a specific way to buck larger diameter trees when they're bigger than your bar? Could someone provide a link, video, or just explain?

I want the 16", but am worried I'll wish I had gotten the 18".....

I don't think the 16" is a mistake. When you are bucking a log bigger than your bar you simply cut as far as you can through on one side, then go around to the other side and finish up the cut. Usually I will make several cuts along one side and then go around to the other side to finish up. Once I have a big piece of the trunk bucked up it's easier to switch sides. :)

It can get a little complicated if there's funky side to side or up and down pressures on the tree, but just take a little time to get used to it and you'll be fine. The biggest pain in the rear is when your saw gets pinched and you have to take it off and loosen the bar out of the wood. Pay close attention and you'll be fine.

Open notch and bore

what about using this method when the tree diameter is larger than the bar. I've always been able to go right through to the other side......I can see that I'd have to go in as far as possible and then switch sides to make sure I've bored all the way through. Is this the correct procedure?

Why not get both look at Baileys site use their bar selector tool for your saw and while your at it look at some Woodland Pro chains I bought a ArborMax bar for my Husky real nice bar nice price with a chain for $29.

Latest posts

Back