Bar Size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run a 18" on my 345e, what you think of that?? I like it and thats all that matters.

I think its just plain silly to say that 20" is 70cc territory, thats ridiculous if ya ask me. I run 26" on my 272xp.

I think thats fine. LOL

I have a 16" on both my 2141 and 2145. Anything bigger than that is 18"+. :cheers:

I'd leave it as is and get a smaller high speed saw with a shorter bar for light work. The 361 is well suited to a 20" bar, and 20" bars come in quite handy for most jobs.

I'm come to appreciate having quite an "arsenal" to attack most any job that comes along.....and...the older you get, them more you will use an enjoy running light/fast/powerful saws......Cliff

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but I have one more question about bar size. If you're cutting, say, a 12" diameter log, will a 16" or 18" bar cut it faster than a 20" bar cutting that same log? Seems to me like they should cut about the same.

I would have to believe you would lose some power just because of the extra resistance & weight of the longer b&c, even though you were cutting the same size log. In addition, the shorter b&c would get oiled better as well, giving you better lubrication & less heat & friction (resulting in a faster cut). I would say that if a 16 inch bar was long enough to use on the majority of the wood you cut, then get the 16" and save the 20" bar for the occasional bigger wood.

attachment.php

I'm glad yall don't work with my bosses then. All of our 361's and 359's have 28 inchers. Yes we do use them on both softwood and hardwood alike. They do rob the power. But the length of the bar does help limbing up trees and bucking logs that are over 24".

Good post, but

As long as you let the chain do the work, you'll be more than fine. Guys are really using the dawgs for getting through the wood instead of the chains. Don't force it and you'll be fine. Will it be a bit slower, maybe, but if you just cut, you'll be fine. Don't work the saw through the cut (for lack of better words). I have a 80cc for the really large wood, and as of now, go straight to the 361 instead of the 372 (man I love this saw) but don't push the saw. At this point some of it is used above the "ground" so weight is also a concern.
Hope that makes mostly sense.
Chad

I'm glad yall don't work with my bosses then. All of our 361's and 359's have 28 inchers. Yes we do use them on both softwood and hardwood alike. They do rob the power. But the length of the bar does help limbing up trees and bucking logs that are over 24".

That is sucking the grunt out of the saws - they sure will be mediokre performers at best with that set-up........:censored: :censored:

Your bosses need to buy some larger saws for that bars, like MS460 or PS7900 - even a 372xp may be too small, unless the 28" bars have skip chain.....:greenchainsaw:

That is sucking the grunt out of the saws - they sure will be mediokre performers at best with that set-up........:censored: :censored:

Your bosses need to buy some larger saws for that bars, like MS460 or PS7900 - even a 372xp may be too small, unless the 28" bars have skip chain.....:greenchainsaw:

C'mon Troll, everone knows that a boss is just a backwards double ess o bee!:givebeer: You really wouldn't expect to know anything, would you?:)

The only problem I see with running a 20"+ bar on a 361 is the lack of bar oil the 361 puts out. I don't see a 361 running a 28" B&C well at all, and if you were cutting the dry old Elm I'm cutting, the chain would seize from lack of lubrication.:cheers:

Ya, 28" is way excessive for 60cc saw. I've got a 038 super pro that I am fixing up, its 67cc, and I'm gona run 20" on it, that should be nice. Full time 28" use to me is above 70cc saw territory. I ran a 26" on my 394xp for a while, that was nice.

I think its just plain silly to say that 20" is 70cc territory, thats ridiculous if ya ask me. I run 26" on my 272xp.

I'm with ya on that. I keep mostly 25" on the 70cc's 'round here, have went 32" on the 460. 60cc is plenty to run a 20", softwood or hardwood.

The only problem I see with running a 20"+ bar on a 361 is the lack of bar oil the 361 puts out. I don't see a 361 running a 28" B&C well at all, and if you were cutting the dry old Elm I'm cutting, the chain would seize from lack of lubrication.:cheers:

I run a 25 on my 361 and lubrication has never been a problem, even with the bar buried running full comp chain. A 28 could be done, but I wouldn't try it.

I have heard of a 32 being run on a 361 as well.

But in all honesty...

:deadhorse:

I run a 25 on my 361 and lubrication has never been a problem, even with the bar buried running full comp chain. A 28 could be done, but I wouldn't try it.

I have heard of a 32 being run on a 361 as well.

But in all honesty...

:deadhorse:

Right, but if you need a 32" bar, get a 066/660, 394/395

Yall can call up my bosses and tell them about the performance issues. They don't listen to the little man, unless its about someone goofing off. As for running the 28's. They have been doing it for god knows how long. We keep trying to tell them to get more powerful saws. But the price they are paying for new ones (361, 359), you really cant beat the deal. 400$ per saw, brand new, 28" bar w/ chain. They work fine for us. Just cant dog them in. Oh yeah I forgot on a side now. Since we don't have huge dogs and a full wrap. Would they still be considered West Coast Saws?

The length of bar a given saw will pull depends a lot on the experience & heavy handedness of the sawyer.
I've got 2 new hand's working for me, neither has done this kind of work before. Concidering their experience I set up 2 saw's with 20" bar's. One saw is a Dolmar 7900, and the other is a Husky 357. The guy running the 7900 will bog it down and stall the chain pretty regularly.:dizzy: The guy running the 357 lets the saw do it's job and rarely bogs it down.:clap:
So in my opinion it's not the length of the bar that robs power, it's not letting the saw have enough time to do it's job.

Andy

Keep the 20", cut wood, smile when your friend says it's robbing power, and get on with it.

Back