Battle of the Top-Handles /climbing saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dragoon

Dragoon

ArboristSite Member
Now I have the bug. I have a Jonny 410 SP, and my Homelite XL130. So now I am looking to fill in the Big & little ends of my saw collection.

Any advice/opinions on top handle/climbing saws? Favourites? I'll most likely be looking for used, and am willing to wait a bit to find a good saw, rather than just take what is out there. Parts availability is an issue. I'd like something in the 20-something to small 30cc range.

:D Thanks again all!

sedanman

sedanman

Just cut the piano!!
If you're looking to keep the "vintage" theme to your collection I suggest a Stihl 015. Two just sold on E-bay for less than $75.oo each. The Stihl 009 has more low end grunt but is harder to find cheap, and some on the board really dis-like it (I love mine, it's a wonderful little saw). I'm certain there are other brand saws that will fit your needs and others will tell you all about them.

WOLF_RIVER_MIKE

WOLF_RIVER_MIKE

ArboristSite Guru
Can't really cast a vote for a climbing saw. At 270 lbs. am much more of a ground man. Haven't climbed a tree (without the aid of a stout deer stand in 20 years... all right 30 years). Sedanman I'm suprised at your 2 cents. Anyway, I have faith in Husky, and plan on buying there new version of the 335xp. Of course after someone the list has field tested. ;)

sedanman

sedanman

Just cut the piano!!
W.R.M, I have no doubt that there is a fine climbing saw from Husky, my experience is limited to stihl so that's all I feel qualified to discuss. I'm 6' tall and 330 pounds.......I aint climbing no tree either!

Treeman14

Treeman14

Addicted to ArboristSite
I love my 009's. Easy to work on and the price is right. Enough power for my needs. When I get into larger wood, I switch to the 026. Or the 272. Or the 3120.

Sethro

Sethro

Heathen
011AVT

I like the 011AVT good power for 2.50 cu.in saw easy to work on parts everywhere ,I also have a 010AV that's no match to the 011.I mainly use and collect big saw but the 011 is great for honeydo work. Seth

treeclimber165

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Poulan Super25DA

Yukon, that was my first climbing saw. Used them for several years, cause EVERYONE climbed with them when I started climbing.
Then Stihl came out with the 020T and everyone ran out to blow $600+ on a climbing saw with carb problems. When Echo came out with the 3000 and then the 3400, I wanted one but waited for a couple years to study how they held up in the field. Whenever I saw someone using one, I stopped and asked about the Echo. After 2 years of looking, I finally bought one and have used the 3400 ever since. Not as strong as the poulan, but lighter than the 020T and very affordable. Mine have held up very well (for a throw-away saw).

rahtreelimbs

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
. AS Supporting Member.
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
Dragoon

While I own and love my Stihl 020T. If I were to do this all over I would opt for an Echo 3000. Now this may leave some of you scratching your heads, heres why. I don't believe in a ton of power in a climbing saw, I run a 12" bar on mine. For the amount of abuse a climbing saw gets the Echo is a helluva good deal. I know several climbers who use them and beat them pretty hard and they just hold up. At $199.95 you can't go wrong. Rich.

treeclimber165

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Re: Dragoon

Originally posted by rich hoffman
While I own and love my Stihl 020T. If I were to do this all over I would opt for an Echo 3000. ........ At $199.95 you can't go wrong. Rich.

The 3400 is a LOT stronger, fairly close to an 020T if you hold your mouth right. The 3400 is about $275 and worth every dime. They seem to last about twice as long as the 3000's, also. So they are actually cheaper to run.

Dragoon

Dragoon

ArboristSite Member
I kinda figgured this would either be a can 'o worms, or a barrel of monkeys. I had to ask. ;)

I have been eyeballing some Echo's and a Mcullough ( there goes my parts availability angle) on eBay. I thank all the brave souls who have answered so far, and am looking forward to more.

rbtree

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Rich,

If you used my savage Greffardized 335, you'd feel differently about power in a climbing saw. Besides the obvious, blocking over 12" wood, where speed is desirable, with limb cutting, speed can be your friend in controlling the swing and fall.

Brian,

I'll get together with a friend, who has a very fast 020T, and a new 3400, and do some timed cuts, with identical bar/chain setups, 14" if possible. (Doubt if he or I have any 14" Stihl bars tho, so it may have to be 16". I'd venture a guess to say that the 020 will be 20-30% faster. My 3400 is toast, and I wont be getting another, even tho they are nice saws.

Dragoon

Dragoon

ArboristSite Member
rbtree,

If you do those tests, I'd be real interested in the times. I am a fan of Stihl saws, and would like to join that club, but in all honesty, cash is a consideration on the small saw.

If anybody hears/has a good deal on a good climbing saw, I'd appreciate the leads!

Sean

tony marks

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
for the money ,i cant fault the echo 3000 or 3400. im a stihl man pretty much .
got a 020 av an 011avt that are tops.
but this dam little 3000 just gets the job done an dont weigh nothin. dont cost much either. 1yr commercial guarantee.
hard to beat that in my opinion.
also this shouldnt get ugly. everybody got the right to think what ever they want to.
thats why the forum is so valuable.
alrite im duckin ,fire off now.:D

Latest posts