beating a dead horse 441 vs ????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong with what Stihl does.
History shows when Stihl Makes a model of a saw They ride it out.

Husky on the other hand is always trying to make more advancements.

Oh, I got ya. What you are saying is that Husky/Jred/Pooplon is always trying to keep up??:biggrinbounce2:

Oh, I got ya. What you are saying is that Husky/Jred/Pooplon is always trying to keep up??:biggrinbounce2:

I think Stihl is the one that copies the others .. The only thing I can think of where Stihl was first is side mounted chain tensioner. Stihl is the big, reliable and boring brand. The Volkswagen of chainsaws. Will do the job but won't put the biggest smile on your face.

I think Stihl is the one that copies the others .. The only thing I can think of where Stihl was first is side mounted chain tensioner. Stihl is the big, reliable and boring brand. The Volkswagen of chainsaws. Will do the job but won't put the biggest smile on your face.

LMAO... comin' from a guy that cuts pecker poles...:deadhorse:

Gary

Wasn't there an old saying about "jerk?"

A jerk is a tug, a tug is a boat,
A boat floats on water, water is nature,
nature is beautiful...
Thanks for the compliment.:)

Well stihl did make the first modern chain and there is the whole first patent on the gas powered chainsaw thing so.....

Chainsaw History

Yes I was bored and decided to do some reading of interest after work.

COPIED FROM CHAINSAWS IN HISTORY:
The origin is debated, but the first chainsaw was probably made around 1830 by the German orthopaedist Bernard Heine. This instrument, the osteotome, had links of a chain carrying small cutting teeth with the edges set at an angle; the chain was moved around a guiding blade by turning the handle of a sprocket wheel. As the name implies, this was used to cut bone.

Two important contributors to the modern chainsaw are Joseph Buford Cox and Andreas Stihl; the latter patented and developed a chainsaw in 1926 and a gasoline-powered chainsaw in 1929, and founded a company to mass-produce them. In 1927, Emil Lerp, the founder of Dolmar, developed the world's first gasoline-powered chainsaw and mass-produced them. McCulloch and Industrial Equipment Corp in North America started to produce chainsaws. The early models were heavy, two-person devices with long bars. Often chainsaws were so heavy that they had wheels like dragsaws. Other outfits used driven lines from a wheeled power unit to drive the cutting bar.

After WW2, improvements in aluminum and engine design lightened chainsaws to the point where one person could carry them. In some areas the skidder / chainsaw crews have been largely replaced by the feller buncher and harvester.

Yes I was bored and decided to do some reading of interest after work.

COPIED FROM CHAINSAWS IN HISTORY:
The origin is debated, but the first chainsaw was probably made around 1830 by the German orthopaedist Bernard Heine. This instrument, the osteotome, had links of a chain carrying small cutting teeth with the edges set at an angle; the chain was moved around a guiding blade by turning the handle of a sprocket wheel. As the name implies, this was used to cut bone.

Two important contributors to the modern chainsaw are Joseph Buford Cox and Andreas Stihl; the latter patented and developed a chainsaw in 1926 and a gasoline-powered chainsaw in 1929, and founded a company to mass-produce them. In 1927, Emil Lerp, the founder of Dolmar, developed the world's first gasoline-powered chainsaw and mass-produced them. McCulloch and Industrial Equipment Corp in North America started to produce chainsaws. The early models were heavy, two-person devices with long bars. Often chainsaws were so heavy that they had wheels like dragsaws. Other outfits used driven lines from a wheeled power unit to drive the cutting bar.

After WW2, improvements in aluminum and engine design lightened chainsaws to the point where one person could carry them. In some areas the skidder / chainsaw crews have been largely replaced by the feller buncher and harvester.

Great post Cut ....and no mention of the modded saw's !!! There is hope for you yet!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :cheers:

Last edited:
I believe Oregon made the first chipper style chain...:popcorn:

I was wrong. And so were you. Joseph Cox is the answer. For some reason stihl stuck out in my mind as the inventor of it.

The sad thing is that the husky boys are claiming that their ideas were stolen yet dolmar and stihl were in it from the git go. No husky no where. But alas, they all took the idea from who ever invented it in the 1800's.

Last edited:
I was wrong. And so were you. Joseph Cox is the answer. For some reason stihl stuck out in my mind as the inventor of it.

The sad thing is that the husky boys are claiming that their ideas were stolen yet dolmar and stihl were in it from the git go. No husky no where. But alas, they all took the idea from who ever invented it in the 1800's.

Stihl made the first electric saw and I believe Sachs/Dolmar made the first gas saw....Here is a timeline from Husky's website, looks like they came in the game late on saws. 1959??

The first Husqvarna factory is established, as a weapons foundry.

Statutory General Meeting in Husqvarna.

Husqvarna starts production of cast-iron sewing machines and kitchen equipment.

Husqvarna produces its first bicycle. Production continues until 1962, when it is transferred to Monark of Sweden.

Husqvarna AB is incorporated.

Production of motorcycles starts.

Husqvarna acquires Norrahammars Bruk in Sweden and the product range expands to include heating boilers and lawn mowers.

1934-1949
Household products develop rapidly in terms of both technology and sales. During this period Husqvarna produces its first electric cookers, dishwashers and washing machines.

Husqvarna starts production of chainsaws and power lawn mowers.

Acquisition of AB Flymo in Malmö, the Parent company in a group that manufactures hover lawn mowers. The company has plants in the UK, Australia and Germany, and markets its products in about 20 countries.

Electrolux acquires Husqvarna. Acquisition of AB Partner in Sweden, which produces professional chainsaws and has subsidiaries in Norway and the US. Power products now include chainsaws, motorcycles, lawn mowers and cutting machines, with total annual sales of SEK 531m.

I recall the famous words of Ben when he said the 441 is nice but its not a 372 and he is 100% right. The 441 built wise, fit and finnish outshines the 372 by a country mile. Performace wise they are equal.

Tom let me clear one thing up. I never said the 441 was equal to the 372 power wise. i said they where close.

Stihls pro saws have always had excellant fit and finish for the most part and the 441 continues this tradition.
Husky's on the other hand look cheap and somewhat crude. But when it comes to performance and things that matter most such as power, vibration, and filtration Husky almost always comes out on top. Lets not forget that Husky had spring antivibe and air injection on most of their saws for years. Lets also not forget that the 372 is a decade+ old design and it hangs right with the 441, and is a bit lighter. Not too shabby for older design.

Back