beating a dead horse 441 vs ????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom let me clear one thing up. I never said the 441 was equal to the 372 power wise. i said they where close.

Stihls pro saws have always had excellant fit and finish for the most part and the 441 continues this tradition.
Husky's on the other hand look cheap and somewhat crude. But when it comes to performance and things that matter most such as power, vibration, and filtration Husky almost always comes out on top. Lets not forget that Husky had spring antivibe and air injection on most of their saws for years. Lets also not forget that the 372 is a decade+ old design and it hangs right with the 441, and is a bit lighter. Not too shabby for older design.

Can't argu with any of that. The only point I was making is how they are built and you seem to agree. Performance wise yes, in this case, the 441/372
are so close its pointless to say the old non-sense of one blows away the other. In this case they are within a milli second of each other. I actually bought a stop watch and let someone else time them, sometihng I don't beleive in at all. Thats how close in power they are. I realize too the 372 suppose to take mods very well, sometihng the 441 will not from what I'm told. If you notice Ben I've yet to say the 372 won't run for it will indeed haul azz. I love the way it sounds as well, got that deep tone I dig in a saw. Its just like you describe, it looks cheap, fit and finnish are poor but in my opinion if it looks cheap then most likely it is. Has not a thing to do with how it runs just like you say. It performs well, very well indeed. I see why the 372is a favorite, it performs regardless of how its made and to most that all that matters and thats all fine and well for thats what matters most. My comparison is built wise, not performance wise at all. I likem both..

Good posts by both Ben and Tom. This is first time you guys ever agreed isn't it?

Well not really. I read alot of Bens posts and agree with many and learn some things too. I just don't hop in and agree with him, I stay quite. Its a macho thing,LOL I was just reading his thoughts over on the oil thread about fuel and I agree with him. I never posted but I leaned a few things I didn't know from him so its all good Brad. When he and me fuss and carry on its mostly all non-sense most of the time anyway..

I don't understand...what it is about Husky's fit and finish that seem cheap? to me they seem just fine......

I agree with Ben about Husky's innovations being ahead of and a bit better than Stihl's......not the 575 though! But I did talk to a Husky rep who said they are working on improving and lightening the 575...and coming out with a new climb saw!!

me, I like them all.....but must say that the Dolmar 7900 is a bit lacking in some of its design....... shoddy designed starter sprocket made of plastic with a steel insert that breaks the plastic apart....oil leaks....... too small of a filter...flimsy buffer springs compared to 372...... throttle linkage/carb connection weak....and a few other minor things.....but the saw's power is best in class.

my ehp 75 cc 372 arrives soon, oh yeah!!

Well not really. I read alot of Bens posts and agree with many and learn some things too. I just don't hop in and agree with him, I stay quite. Its a macho thing,LOL I was just reading his thoughts over on the oil thread about fuel and I agree with him. I never posted but I leaned a few things I didn't know from him so its all good Brad. When he and me fuss and carry on its mostly all non-sense most of the time anyway..
Thats understandable...i was just giving both of you a hard time.

I don't understand...what it is about Husky's fit and finish that seem cheap? to me they seem just fine......

I agree with Ben about Husky's innovations being ahead of and a bit better than Stihl's......not the 575 though! But I did talk to a Husky rep who said they are working on improving and lightening the 575...and coming out with a new climb saw!!

me, I like them all.....but must say that the Dolmar 7900 is a bit lacking in some of its design....... shoddy designed starter sprocket made of plastic with a steel insert that breaks the plastic apart....oil leaks....... too small of a filter...flimsy buffer springs compared to 372...... throttle linkage/carb connection weak....and a few other minor things.....but the saw's power is best in class.

Rb they don't just seem fine to you they are fine period. What your reading is chainsaw nuts picking saws apart piece by piece for what, well thats a good question, don't really know. Macho thing of defending your brand of choice I guess.

Rb I hear your one helluva saw man, you dropem right where you want em and to me thats more important than the saw your using. How long you been dropping them trees?

describe, it looks cheap, fit and finnish are poor but in my opinion if it looks cheap then most likely it is.
Being unrefined from a looks standpoint shouldnt be confused with being cheap/low quality. After owning multiple examples of each you cant convince me one brand on average is more reliable/higher quality than the other.

RB, you nutbag. Dolmar doesnt have oiler issues...or dealer issues....or any issues.

Last edited:
Being unrefined from a looks standpoint shouldnt be confused with being cheap/low quality. After owning multiple examples of each you cant convince me one brand on average is more reliable/higher quality than the other.

RB, you nutbag. Dolmar doesnt have oiler issues...or dealer issues....or any issues.

I'm tired of agreeing with you for one nite but your right, fit and finnish and overall looks should not be confused as low quality. I will say this though Ben and God strike me dead if I'm lying, that 372 I got does have a oiler issue, it leaks like crazy but I'm told its only a seal on the oil pump screw so its no biggie. The 7900 I got has never leaked a drop. I know you had bad luck with your 7900 but mine has been a winner since day one. I sincerely think CC for CC pound for pound Dolmar is hard to match in the cut. Dealers, hell we got the best dealer around right here on this site, Scott will take care of us for sure..

shoddy designed starter sprocket made of plastic with a steel insert that breaks the plastic apart....oil leaks....... too small of a filter...flimsy buffer springs compared to 372...... throttle linkage/carb connection weak....and a few other minor things.....but the saw's power is best in class.

Good post Roger.

I don't see too many professional users on here talk about their experiences with the 7900. I do always hear that its power is best in its class as you state and it has a very affordable price. I have heard about oiler issues, too small of a filter, and a poor quality starter assembly. I hadn't heard about the throttle linkage/carb connection issues nor the so called flimsy buffer springs. Since cuttinscott says dolmar listens to him, maybe some of these issues will get taken care of, if there is a consensus that these are indeed issues.

I'm tired of agreeing with you for one nite but your right, fit and finnish and overall looks should not be confused as low quality. I will say this though Ben and God strike me dead if I'm lying, that 372 I got does have a oiler issue, it leaks like crazy but I'm told its only a seal on the oil pump screw so its no biggie. The 7900 I got has never leaked a drop. I know you had bad luck with your 7900 but mine has been a winner since day one. I sincerely think CC for CC pound for pound Dolmar is hard to match in the cut. Dealers, hell we got the best dealer around right here on this site, Scott will take care of us for sure..
The oiler problem isnt so much of a leaking problem, but one of pump oil to where it shouldnt be and in the process robbing the bar of oil.
I am sure Scotts great, but he cant sell anyone on AS a saw, because Dolmar doesnt allow net sales.
I live in logging country and there is not a stocking Dolmar dealer to be found with him a few hour drive.

Rb they don't just seem fine to you they are fine period. What your reading is chainsaw nuts picking saws apart piece by piece for what, well thats a good question, don't really know. Macho thing of defending your brand of choice I guess.

Rb I hear your one helluva saw man, you dropem right where you want em and to me thats more important than the saw your using. How long you been dropping them trees?

32 years, Tom...

I agree, except for one small issue - they could clean up the edges of the plastic parts better, before assambling the saws.....:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

I believe that is true - Stihl has been lagging behind in chain design as well as saw design, waiting for Oregon patents to run out, but the quality of their chains is the very best.

you keep sayng that... but show me one shred of evidence that Stihl's chain design changes were the result of oregon patents expiring...

Back