BEST 20" MID LEVEL CHAINSAW

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Khntr85

Khntr85

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hey I have a 2012 model 362, it runs a 20" bar great....I hear guys use 25" bars in them, seems a little much in hardwood, but may be ok with a skip chain....i got a 461 if the wood gets bigger that 20" lol....

You know it's funny I had a logger come by today, he may need a place to dump wood....well of course I say, what saws do you guys run, he walks to back if his truck, and I about fell over when I seen an echo 680 I believe was the model!!!...he said he likes it, other than a few bolts rattle loose....then he says I got one good Stihl, opens truck door and there is a ms271.....I am not kidding at all when this older fella told me, "yep that 271 will run a 24" bar".....I honestly didn't know what to say about it....Also I know this guy and his family log quite a lot....I have access to 120+ tops in a woods not to far from me, that he logged....

I

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Hey I have a 2012 model 362, it runs a 20" bar great....I hear guys use 25" bars in them, seems a little much in hardwood, but may be ok with a skip chain....i got a 461 if the wood gets bigger that 20" lol....

You know it's funny I had a logger come by today, he may need a place to dump wood....well of course I say, what saws do you guys run, he walks to back if his truck, and I about fell over when I seen an echo 680 I believe was the model!!!...he said he likes it, other than a few bolts rattle loose....then he says I got one good Stihl, opens truck door and there is a ms271.....I am not kidding at all when this older fella told me, "yep that 271 will run a 24" bar".....I honestly didn't know what to say about it....Also I know this guy and his family log quite a lot....I have access to 120+ tops in a woods not to far from me, that he logged....
To some extent sites like AS are a self-reinforcing bubble of opinions that may not reflect reality. I read all the time recommendations about the level of pro equipment needed to do some cutting job or another that I do routinely with little plastic homeowner saws. How speeding up the cutting will make a huge difference in productivity, when saw time is not a big proportion of the job anyway. How you need an 80cc saw to pull an 14" bar, but if it's in hardwood you'll need skip chain, and you'd really want 100cc for full comp, etc, etc.

If you didn't "know" all that stuff you might just go out cut wood and get the job done, not realizing you can't.

Khntr85

Khntr85

Addicted to ArboristSite
To some extent sites like AS are a self-reinforcing bubble of opinions that may not reflect reality. I read all the time recommendations about the level of pro equipment needed to do some cutting job or another that I do routinely with little plastic homeowner saws. How speeding up the cutting will make a huge difference in productivity, when saw time is not a big proportion of the job anyway. How you need an 80cc saw to pull an 14" bar, but if it's in hardwood you'll need skip chain, and you'd really want 100cc for full comp, etc, etc.

If you didn't "know" all that stuff you might just go out cut wood and get the job done, not realizing you can't.
All I can say is I could not agree anymore my friend!!!!!!!!!

You know it does drive me nuts when a homeowner that burns 10-riks of wood a year comes here and is instantly told, you need atleast a ms261, ms362, husky 562, etc....NO, NO he don't, a ms250,(or other brand equivalent), with an 18" bar would suit him for YEARS!!!

I have personally used the hell out of a ms250 and it still runs great, I am taking it with me on a job after work her in a few hours...

I have posted this pic before, but here is my ms250, 18" bar and a load of pure shagbark hickory....you can bury the bar if you know how to sharpen a chain and you won't hurt the saw at all....this saw has been used like this for 6-8 years, no issues to speak of!!!!
IMG_1201.JPG

James Miller

James Miller

Addicted to ArboristSite
All I can say is I could not agree anymore my friend!!!!!!!!!

You know it does drive me nuts when a homeowner that burns 10-riks of wood a year comes here and is instantly told, you need atleast a ms261, ms362, husky 562, etc....NO, NO he don't, a ms250,(or other brand equivalent), with an 18" bar would suit him for YEARS!!!

I have personally used the hell out of a ms250 and it still runs great, I am taking it with me on a job after work her in a few hours...

I have posted this pic before, but here is my ms250, 18" bar and a load of pure shagbark hickory....you can bury the bar if you know how to sharpen a chain and you won't hurt the saw at all....this saw has been used like this for 6-8 years, no issues to speak of!!!!
View attachment 565830
I cut a lot of wood with an 011avt and an ms250. Never knew I was under sawed. I bought my echo's cause my FIL wouldn't let me take the Stihls off the property.

Cooper12

Cooper12

ArboristSite Lurker
I went with the Ms261 with the 20" bar mostly do to not thinking I need a larger saw like the 362 and having access to numerous Stihl dealers and shops. I think with care it will last a long time . The power to weight ratio I liked over the mid level saws and I like the features it has. Even if it was more money than some others

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
No doubt but the more power the more fun.
We all have our own interests. To me it's more fun running a saw I built and modified from junk and turned into a tool that works well. Some would feel uncomfortable running something that's not considered "pro" or "quality".

quotedraven

quotedraven

Addicted to ArboristSite
We all have our own interests. To me it's more fun running a saw I built and modified from junk and turned into a tool that works well. Some would feel uncomfortable running something that's not considered "pro" or "quality".
If you put it together yourself and you are confident and in your skill then all the power to you. I have very limited experience with motors besides oil changes and other simple maintenance. I do enjoy the results of a well put together machine. I started with a 30 cc echo then moved up to a 50 cc echo. I thought the move to the 50cc echo was impressive until I got the 60 cc husky, that is something else entirely. I could have done all the cutting with the 50cc echo but the 562xp is way more fun and very easy on the hands.

sbhooper

sbhooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Don't worry about the length of the bar, without knowing if the saw will run it. You can put a 20-inch bar on lots of saws that really should not wear one. Buy a saw by power and suggested bar length-not just because it has a 20-inch bar on it.

Latest posts