Best Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makita 7900,cant believe I'm the first to say it!Reasons ,speed and power.Also the 056 super only cause I haven't found a mag 2 yet!Just a great old saw from the past.
Russ

This thread has already derailed. You could hardly lump a 575 into the best saw ever thread.

Personally, I always thought the 361 wasn't that nice. I've used about 6 of and never been impressed. I've used 260's and always thought they were surprisingly powerful for what they are. You wouldn't think it was that nice after running an 880, but for what it is, how troublesome it isn't, how light it is and how much power it makes, a 260 is nice. You can make the transition from climbing/semi-commercial/homeowner with it.

I personally nominate the 372; Everybody and their uncle has one around here and they're pretty much bombproof. Bout the only saw I know that can wear a 20" and 32" bar and not sacrifice much for either.

Of the saws I have personally owned or used it would be a Stihl 064.

Light, powerful and feels perfect with a 20" or 32" bar.

Last edited:
I'd have to go w/ Husky 372, excellent power yet not so heavy to kill ya cutting w/ it for several hours. Benefit of being able to use bars from 18" - 28" is also nice.

I like my Mac SP125c. Why? It cuts good and draws a crowd. But, reason number one is that it sounds so good. Like hearing a good, familiar voice from the past.

Joat

Now Joat, if we are going to base this off of sound alone, I will have to nominate the 041.

Wes,

Not sound alone, but simply the ABCs of chainsaws.

Always draws a crowd,

Bad a$$ sound, and

Cuts so good.

Joat

Husqvarna 268XPS, followed closely by 272XP and 372XP. Not much difference between the three saws in actual use, although the 372XP has just a tad more power and "modern" (words like ergonomics, balance, inboard clutch, power to weight ratio, come to mind) features........Cliff

Wes,

Not sound alone, but simply the ABCs of chainsaws.

Always draws a crowd,

Bad a$$ sound, and

Cuts so good.

Joat

I'm sure you're right. I've personally never heard a Mac 125, I would like to though. When I was a kid, this area where I live was Homelite country. For some reason, McCulloch was a dirty word here.

The original Homelite XL. The little top handle saw from the late 70's. Metal case, strong engine, very light and nimble. Can pull a 16" bar.

Keep something that resembles an air filter on it, and run it on mixed gas and I dare say it's just about indestructable.

Latest posts

Back