best power to weight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya funny how on paper they are always lighter,,, I dont care who made it!!!!!

JMHO 70CC class stuff,,, the 044/440 372/XP/XPW 046/460-7900

Have to include 80cc class 064/ 385/288/390XP's

90cc class stuff 066/660 (394/395 Heavy weights)

.....and the 2188/2171.........:D

While I'm sure it doesn't top any of the aforementioned lists, I'm extremely pleased with the power-to-weight of my Snellerized 2153. I think last Saturday and Sunday I busted up more firewood in two days than I have in a long time and it was frankly a joy (been working way too many hours at the printing company I own). I even had time to get well acquainted with my new X27, which I'll also say has proven to be a very pleasant surprize, as can be seen by the cord of ash and locust on my trailer right now. Whole lotta' fun left to split today too, mostly cherry.

Ya funny how on paper they are always lighter,,, I dont care who made it!!!!!

JMHO 70CC class stuff,,, the 044/440 372/XP/XPW 046/460-7900

Have to include 80cc class 064/ 385/288/390XP's

90cc class stuff 066/660 (394/395 Heavy weights)

I would put the 046/460 and 7900 in the 80cc class - but that's just me ....:cheers:

Since I don't have a chainsaw dyno at home, I guess I will have to rely on the mfg specs. If they lie, maybe they all are stretching the truth equally......actually, the specs seem to be pretty good according to the german testing reports.

Yes, the max power specs usually are quite trustworthy (except on some Japanese brands), but they tell only what will happen at one specific rpm.¨

The weight specs are a very different story, and no brand can generally be trusted......

I would too, which really makes the 79er out to be a feather. I wish the other manufacturers would take that up as a challenge for a modern 80cc saw.

It surely is, although not as light as Dolmar claim. Some other saws are much more off though, including the 7900 based Solo 681......

Interesting. I'm surprise. Then the 046 must not be very high, because the first 064 I had only 4-5 oz heavier than my Dads 046. It had the non-HD filter setup.

Yes, but remember that both models gained some weight as time went by - the 046 also gained some power.....

OK Maclaren gotta back you up, I alway's forget about the J-reds. Just because we dont have em, and I never ran one, but I am sure they are worthy! As far as the power to weight thing, it could be measured to the last ounce. But I will tell you if I had the money to go out and get one of my choice it would be the most cc, most similar in that weight of the class. If not then there wouldnt be any sense if heavier than not going up one more. I would look super hard at a 390xp, because the 288 can handlee anything, and they claim the 390 is lighter. There are so many classe's, and for me I only need two.

OK Maclaren gotta back you up, I alway's forget about the J-reds. Just because we dont have em, and I never ran one, but I am sure they are worthy! As far as the power to weight thing, it could be measured to the last ounce. But I will tell you if I had the money to go out and get one of my choice it would be the most cc, most similar in that weight of the class. If not then there wouldnt be any sense if heavier than not going up one more. I would look super hard at a 390xp, because the 288 can handlee anything, and they claim the 390 is lighter. There are so many classe's, and for me I only need two.

After runnin 3 tanks of fuel through my 390 this weekend I remember why I like the saw so much in 16"-20" hardwoods. My buddies 036 PRO was not happy next to 357XP, both saws were neck and neck in the big stuff, surprised me actually. The 372 was pissed off and rippin as usual. CJ

Last edited:
I will have to get me one of those homelites. What about the homelite 101?
What is the power to weight on the 372 and 440?

Cool thing is that are generally very inexpensive if you can find them. I basically paid $15 for that one, but a nice one will usually fetch $75 or so. The 101 and most 102's (not mine) are manual oiler only. All the higher 100 series numbers have automatic oilers I believe. I prefer automatic oilers, and mine has a manual override if needed.

Latest posts

Back