Best quality D style starter handle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astnmacgto

Carnac The Magnificent
Reaction score
Looking to get a D handle starter for some of my higher compression saws. How many of you are using them and what brand are they and do you like them.
Thanks, ADLM

Lowes carried them at one time.
d929f751fb4f43b2ccc54aa869fad4aa.jpg

Was about eight bucks.

Not real sturdy.
4889eca4720108628630ea5e972d4933.jpg

Back up the knot with a small flat washer.

We stock three different models.
It really comes down to how big your hands are and what shape feels comfortable.
The OEM Stihl handle is the largest, but since it was made to be used on the fire rescue saw by a fireman in heavy gloves it is a large diameter handle and has an aggressive "tread".
On large ported saws (200PSI+) I have had it bruise the palm of my hand when the recoil kicks back. It has an essentially round profile.

The Oregon D handle is smaller and has a less round profile, I think it is more comfortable and a lot of guys will add a wrap of grip tape. It doesn't say "Stihl" on it so some of the PSP Purists don't like it as well :)

The Third type is a generic no-name handle that has a thin oval profile and is more of a racetrack shape than a "D" but is also comfortable to use and has a really strongly tapered rope nipple so you can cut it off to whatever depth fits your recoil grommet the best. A bit softer of a plastic and many racing saws use this with several wraps of grip tape.

Dave

Lowes carried them at one time.
d929f751fb4f43b2ccc54aa869fad4aa.jpg

Was about eight bucks.

Not real sturdy.
4889eca4720108628630ea5e972d4933.jpg

Back up the knot with a small flat washer.
Interesting, judging by the pictures of the "lowes special" all busted up I don't think I wanna mess with those. I feel like if that gave way on the way up I might punch myself in the face. That would make me a very unhappy camper for sure.

We stock three different models.
It really comes down to how big your hands are and what shape feels comfortable.
The OEM Stihl handle is the largest, but since it was made to be used on the fire rescue saw by a fireman in heavy gloves it is a large diameter handle and has an aggressive "tread".
On large ported saws (200PSI+) I have had it bruise the palm of my hand when the recoil kicks back. It has an essentially round profile.

The Oregon D handle is smaller and has a less round profile, I think it is more comfortable and a lot of guys will add a wrap of grip tape. It doesn't say "Stihl" on it so some of the PSP Purists don't like it as well :)

The Third type is a generic no-name handle that has a thin oval profile and is more of a racetrack shape than a "D" but is also comfortable to use and has a really strongly tapered rope nipple so you can cut it off to whatever depth fits your recoil grommet the best. A bit softer of a plastic and many racing saws use this with several wraps of grip tape.

Dave
Well I am a purist so I need mine to say McCulloch on it....... oh wait that's not an option.....haha It sounds like I might try the Oregon handle. I have kicked around the idea of whipping a billet one out on the mill but that makes for a lot of wasted material. Probably just gonna go the easy route and buy a plastic one. Now if only I knew the Oregon part number and a good place to buy one.......... *cough* Dave *cough* *cough*
Thanks, ADLM

Well I am a purist so I need mine to say McCulloch on it....... oh wait that's not an option.....haha It sounds like I might try the Oregon handle. I have kicked around the idea of whipping a billet one out on the mill but that makes for a lot of wasted material. Probably just gonna go the easy route and buy a plastic one. Now if only I knew the Oregon part number and a good place to buy one.......... *cough* Dave *cough* *cough*
Thanks, ADLM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stihl-Husqv...ndle-for-high-compression-saws-/222189716825?

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stihl-OEM-N...S660-088-066-064-1128-195-3401-/321895632808?

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chainsaw-Ne...or-MS660-MS460-MS440-MS361-066-/221782923458?

all you need is an amateur woodburner kit and you can engrave (MELT) the first one to say whatever you like :)
Dave

Latest posts

Back