best splitter for the money

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lookin to buy a new splitter dont want to spend over 2500 whats the best built for the money going to split about 30 cord a year

I know it's tough, but' find something made in America, are make it yourself...Peace.

I've been using the Brave VH0626 (current model) since 2003 and have no complaints. Brave did put out a recall on the cylinder, but since they paid for that I don't consider it a problem.

My buddy borrowed mine a lot for about 5 years but finally bought his own last year, buying the same model but paying extra for the Honda engine but to be honest, the Briggs starts for me 19 times out of 20 on the first pull and on the second pull otherwise and has had no hiccups.

Also, if you use your splitter in hot weather, his Honda engine blows exhaust right onto your legs while you're operating the unit. He told me the exhaust is adjustable for direction, but I didn't mind as the last time I was using it it was about 10F in which case it will keep your legs warm.

HTH and good luck.

I upgraded my powerhorse to a 16gpm and new engine for a bit but saw no cycle time increase. Later I had to replace defective seals in the cylinder and found the ports going into the cylinder were super small, I suspect that had alot to do with the lack of cycle time improvement.

Honestly the Supersplit out splits the nasty's in comparison to the 20 ton powerhorse...

Are you saying you have no problems with spiral grain elm and live oak from florida with your 16 ton hydro?

The incredible light weight and portability are both marvelous. Seems like the slow cycle time is its biggest drawback. Replace the pump with a 2-stage 11 GPM and this Brave splitter might run twice as fast with the same power and no other enhancements required. The splitter I run today has a 3" cylinder and a 2-stage 11 GPM pump. I'm also getting about 16 tons with a 6 HP motor that I usually run at half speed or less.

I'd really like to hear others on our forum comment on this pump upgrade possibility.

I upgraded my powerhorse to a 16 gpm and new engine for a bit but saw no cycle time increase. Later I had to replace defective seals in the cylinder and found the ports going into the cylinder were super small, I suspect that had alot to do with the lack of cycle time improvement. Honestly the Supersplit out splits the nasty's in comparison to the 20 ton powerhorse...

Are you saying you have no problems with spiral grain elm and live oak from florida with your 16 ton hydro?
No. Spiral grain elm that we have growing here in Nebraska will stop any log splitter that I have seen, especially Super Split. That's a log that MFGs never show being split in the ads, hydraulic or flywheel.

Yes, there are splitters that can cut 18" logs in half acoss the grain. That's what you would need to split spiral grain elm. It has no grain direction, so you might as well slice across it.

My splitter

I got 2 20 ton electric one and a three point tractor splitter with a princes pump. My neighbor built me one 30 ton like there 20 ton. I have had them so long I can't remember when I got them. I split every thing with no proble. They have a super tec support go to my face book page Charles Thomas and see my set up. Give Doug a call at RamSplitters and talk to them

Latest posts

Back