Best Splitting Axe - Opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use them to split stove wood into kindling.
Thinking of buying a leather handled Estwing E24A, too bad the Fireside Friend is plastic handled now.

Or, alternately, I could get something to match my Super Splitter, probably the 14", the 8" just seems too tiny:

I picked up one of those Estwing hatchets a few months back. (I use it for debranching before I feed the log into the hydraulic splitter,I sit down on a mechanics stool while splitting)
Its one nice hatchet and will stay fully functional for 25 years or more like my other Estwing stuff (frameing hammers,regular hammers,crowbar,masonry hammer, carpenters hatchet...etc)

I use the Fiskars long splitting axe. I used to use a 12 lb splitting maul, and I find that the Fiskars will split almost all of what the big one will, and with greater ease. I am convinced that the pretty Finnish splitter will not do well with the stringy Red Elm that I prefer to burn. The Fiskars does OK with the smaller stuff, but the 12 inch and above goes on the Log Boss splitter and that makes short work of it.

I have never tried the Gransfors, and would like to, but the cost is a bit much for an old cheap skate like me. JR

I carry a fiskars axe in the woods for driving wedges while felling. I had a tree roll of the stump and busted the handle, no questions asked here's a new one. It took alot to break. Very tough handles, run them over with the skidder, what ever you can think of, probably won"t break it. Very light weight and tough as heck.

Last edited:
Fisker..

[video=youtube;pLULLzZuMn8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pLULLzZuMn8#![/video]

I have a Fisker Hatch and I can say it is great. I was surprised with it ability to cut through even larger rounds. You will be happy with them.

[video=youtube;pLULLzZuMn8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pLULLzZuMn8#![/video]

I have a Fisker Hatch and I can say it is great. I was surprised with it ability to cut through even larger rounds. You will be happy with them.

Infomercial or something?
How realistic is that demonstrating on clean debarked half dried partially split chunks of straight grained firs without a single branch knot?
Of course the Fiskars is going to eat through that easy stuff. A cereal spoon is capable of eating through that.

Local hardware store sells a maul with a 12 pound head and a 30" steel handle looks like a cave man club does any one have any expirence with these? I split wood for a work out and I swing cut down 20 pound sledges with my right and left hands at my wedge so the weight doesn't really bother me.

Yep...and I cant get my trees to fall in a neat circle like that.

Been there and done that as far as manual splitters goes. Various mauls and axes over the years from 2# to 10#. Picked up a Fiskars X25 from Wally world. NEVER thought it stood a chance but it's the best splitter I've found. I only split on a block of wood. Very "comfortable" to split with. :rock:

I did my research last year to find the best splitter, keeping in mind the cost too. Read a lot of reviews.
I chose the Fiskars with the longest handle. Glad I did. Love this splitter. Saves me a lot of swinging. The weight is far better than my old wood and fiberglass splitting mauls too. Great policy in case it breaks you get a new one. Wish that it could be used for pounding too but the instructions with it say that you should not pound with the blunt end, just split with the sharp end. Oh well, still love this new tool. Have split about five cords so far of alder, hemlock, spruce and fir here in WA.

After reading all the posts I thought I would give the Fiskars a try. I have a splitting axe with a 6lb head and thought I have nothing to lose.. Do not like it take it back. Well I worked the night shift, popped into Canadian Tire ( kinda like a Home Depot ) and saw the x27 36" handle for 54.99. Take it to the cash 59.99.. I ask if they can check if the price is right .. Then I am told if it is priced wrong I get 10.00 off so 44.99 ! I am thinking pay and get out.. I get it home and it splits great. Much easier than my old one. Life time warranty so thats a bonus as well.

Yep...and I cant get my trees to fall in a neat circle like that.

I think that I shall just "make do" with my old 6lb maul ...instead of useing the "wally world-china" connection.

from wikepedia:
Originally a Finnish manufacturer, Fiskars is now a holding company that imports from countries around the world, primarily China. Their largest holding is Fiskars Brands, which still produces the traditional craft and garden products that made the company famous. This division is headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin, United States.

If she burns the biscuts I bet her old man says,hay that is just the way i like them baby.

LMAO - That is funny.

Cute and can handle an axe. It doesn't get much better than that!

Back on Topic - this is an old thread. Probably like many of you guys, I have collected a bunch of axes, mauls, hatchets, etc. My 2 cents on a few.....

Fiskars Maul- I use this one the most. It is light, doesn't stick, and gets the job done.
Fiskars Hatchet - This is super handy for splitting up the small stuff for the fireplace, and always goes camping with the family.
Gransfors Maul- Very nice, works very well, but for some reason I don't use as much as the Fiskars. I've had this for years, and I think the new ones are a little overpriced.
Craftsman Maul - Inherited from my dad, and it must be 50 years old. It works, I don't baby it, and it is a great sledgehammer. Sticks way more than the Fiskars or Granfors
Stihl Maul - This is a rebranded Oxhead from Germany. Good for stubborn wood, but pretty heavy and it sticks a bit as well. Nice quality for the money.

The Heikki Vipukirves looks interesting, but is $268 shipped to the US. While it has received mixed reviews, I am glad someone took the time to build a high quality, innovative product.

Guys who are cheap and/or say that their old maul works great should really try a Fiskars. They will make your splitting easier, and usually can be had under $50. The fancy axes (i.e. Oxhead Stihl, Gransfors, etc.) are nice to have from a pride of ownership perspective, but really don't split any better

Council axe

has anyone ever used council tools. just wondering herd they were pretty good.

I've got one council axe head on a boy scout length handle. I keep it in one of my vehicles with a leather sheath on it. It's got decent steel. Nothing real special about it but it was nice to learn that is was made in the good old US of A. I plan on keeping it for that reason alone. If I come across another, I'll pick it up too. I frequent garage sales looking for good hand tools like these.

Picked up a Fiskars X25 from Wally world. NEVER thought it stood a chance but it's the best splitter I've found. I only split on a block of wood. Very "comfortable" to split with. :rock:

You got your X25 at Walmart? I haven't seen any Fiskars Axe' over the small 12". How much was it at Walmart?

-The Great

Back