Best "value" saws. Post opinions here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have read several discussions at different price points, but sometimes it's difficult for someone in the market for a saw to find what is the best value for a saw for xxx dollars. And users have varying differences in experience in maintaining and repairing the equipment. So I would like opinions on what you would consider a great value for a saw at any given price. I would like to offer that the Poulan Pro 5020AV for a new saw at roughly $180 is a rock solid, entry level firewood saw for the non-professional. I had mine for over 4 years and was quite a novice when I got it. And even with my lack of experience, this saw did not let me down. My only issues were dull chains, dirty air filters, and a slight retune after 2 years.

For me, other than the 5020 that you mentioned, I think the key thing to get the most bang for your buck is to buy used, well taken care of saws. You can get great saws that can pull up to 24 inch bars for under $200 if bought this way.

Unless your question means what is the best bang for the buck new saw?

If I was a new user and never ever touched a saw before. Then I would get a 14 inch refurbished poulan 3314 (which is really 42cc's) from vminovations for $70. The saw is cheap and has decent power for an average homeowner and if you blow it up from trying to learn how to tune it all you need is another $70 and now you have a parts saw for a total of $140 for both.

I would opt for something with a 18"-20" bar. I've got saws with longer or shorter bars but still do most of my cutting with a 20" bar.
I've gotten smoking deals on running Shindaiwa saws but the lack of dealers may discount this as being good for a new user.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ill throw the husky 55/51 saws out there. A couple very simple issues to check, with plentiful cheap parts available, and very reliable platform, excellent firewood getter with an 18" bar. Ive bought and sold several very nice 55's for $150-175 or so, when clapped out ms290's are listed on craiglist for $350....

I think thats a misconception, that electrolux ever made huskys. I think electrolux bought husqvarna in the 70's or something but 51/55's are as much husky as any other, and certainly more than the newer plastic homeowner garbage.

Used Homelite 2 the 60cc auto with the vague attempt at a muffler i buy everyone i can good power and torque. New echo 490 and 590 they are hard to beat 300.00 each shipped from the bay.

Back