BG86-C issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonestarStihl

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I took a Bg86-C blower to my dealer who for $20 shop fee would look it over and see what it took to get running. Bought the blower for $4 so I'm not worried about its condition too much. Dealer called and said it had no compression and needed. Ew piston and cylinder...in its condition that's not happening.

The problem is I and another guy in the shop were very surprised at this because it "felt" like it at least has some compression. I have my own gauge on the way now to do my own test but the drop test so to speak held for a few seconds by the pull cord fine. I took pictures through the cylinder for y'all to take a gander and see if y'all see anything unusual for me.

6f246be8f7e5d529c46194bd3c73e96b.jpg
950b65be45822920f0f91610e5db23e4.jpg
d333f6be875ae2d471711d610f3758a4.jpg
4427d452fba66abf693ea7ffad1aafb8.jpg
075fc0ef2771326e7dcc19b6cb2bff5d.jpg
a1d31cb58d1ef1fbc51347495b1be093.jpg
27f786897e3f758e109530a109ca593a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piston looks fine. How to determine if the ring is fine, take a small screw driver and press on the ring and if you feel a spring to it, it is fine.

Don't see anything that should keep it from running in the pics. Can you feel that vertical line on the piston? I'd give you $24 for it.

If I can't get it running then it'll be a deal if you're serious. I'll let you know. I couldn't feel it but I'll try again. Gauge should be here in a couple days so I'll hook that up too

Piston looks fine. How to determine if the ring is fine, take a small screw driver and press on the ring and if you feel a spring to it, it is fine.

Thanks I'll check that tomorrow

Haven't had time to check the ring yet. It I got a gauge and it maxed at 100psi. Is that decent for a blower? I figured it should at least run at that level.
541ea46e681be0c04e97564824779552.jpg

Probably would run with that compression, if you have spark, put a beer cap full of gas down the plug hole and see if it fires. Also since you know nothing about this blower make sure the stop switch is tried in both positions and if it feel goofy make sure it is operating properly.

Hmmm I didn't check to see if the choke was on or off but I'd put my money on it being off. I'm at work now but I'll try it with the choke on tomorrow and try the bottle cap test. I'm thinking its having a fuel issue because the primer bulb will not fill up. I can hear it pushing air out but it never bring fuel in to prime

Oh well it was. I'll try it both ways for the heck of it. Not hard to do. I do still need to check the rings but the pressure was holding at 100psi. I check the Stihl website and it states the blowers are normally a minimum 110psi but could vary so it doesn't seem too far off. Could be the gauge? It's brand new off the shelf but I need to check it with some air compressors I guess.

That guage is a problem. Actually, the adaptor it is to long. If the schrader valve is high up, it enlarges the combustion chamber and reduces compression. Post the model of the guage or a pic of the location of the scrader valve. Is it under your thumb in the pic? The schrader valve should be near the pressure release button. I bet that is your problem.

8581a490d033252b44ba425015be121c.png

That's a stock photo of mine. I just plug and played with it. The release valve is directly under my thumb yes. As for the valve I am not quite sure

Did I get a bad gauge or am I using the wrong pieces?

They attach to the short tube which has a quick connect into the tube connected to the head unit. The smallest piece fit perfect into the plug hole. I thought it was all good to go. I pulled it until it maxed out at about 8 but I did 12 to verify

Latest posts

Back