Borer in Red Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasnl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can someone help me to identify these borers that I've found on my two Red Oaks? One tree has completely browned out in a matter of a few weeks with numerous signs of frass and the other is still green but has two places with frass that I can find.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,023 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 30
Can someone help me to identify these borers that I've found on my two Red Oaks? One tree has completely browned out in a matter of a few weeks with numerous signs of frass and the other is still green but has two places with frass that I can find.

Added another picture of the frass (toothpick). Is the ambrosia beetle the only borer that does this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 34
What should I be looking for to determine a fungus?

I treated the tree that is still green and is only showing two spots of frass with a insecticide called Safari (Dinotefuran). Should that take care of the beetles?

that will only take care of the beetles if the tree has an active vascular system. If the tree can't move water, it can't move insecticides. Those pests you are showing are almost certainly secondary...they are attacking a stressed tree. Raintree is telling you that you need to figure out what is causing that stress.

The stress is likely from the construction two years ago. I hoping there is still a chance I can save the one that is still green. I treated the trunk with Safari (Dinotefuran ) and did a soil drench with Imidicloripid. Hopefully they will rid the bugs that are feasting on it. Are there soil injections that I should do to help re establish root growth from the construction damage.

How bad was the construction damage? Has the soil been restored? If the soil is still compacted, you can't make roots grow in it...they need oxygen. If you can get the soil repaired, the tree will take advantage of that. Cambistat can help re-establish roots...but once again, only if the soil is fit.

Just a general compaction question. Would a normal winter freeze and thaw relieve the compaction? Of course that probably would not apply to SC.

Just a general compaction question. Would a normal winter freeze and thaw relieve the compaction? Of course that probably would not apply to SC.
I seriously doubt it. The freeze/thaw cycle will give a small change in soils due to the ice expanding as it freezes and then melting to leave behind slightly less compact soil due to gaps created by the expansion but the change in the soil due to heavy equipment is not at all slight.

Can anyone identify what may be going on with this red oak from this photo?image.jpg

Back