Building a new tip-up log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radroy92

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to the site but I have been reading the posts for information on log splitters for a several months. I had been saving materials for a new splitter for a while and finally reached critical mass this summer. I've attached a few pics to show the early progress.

Roy

Very nice Roy. Keep the pics coming. Welcome to AS,this is a great first post. Heres your first pic.:cheers:
attachment.php

You got a good start there, Don't forget to post the the finished unit! :cheers:

Replies WOW!

You guys are great! Thanks for all the compliments! Yeah when it was all laid out on the patio it sort of does look like I dumped a giant Erector Set out of it's box. I've changed ideas on a few things but I have used most of the metal in the picture.

The beveled edge on the wedge was something I saw somewhere. I left it thick in the middle because I was worried about burning the tip of the edge off with the weld. I've seen a couple variations of it. I must have downloaded 200 pictures of factory and home made splitters off the Web looking for ideas.

Special thanks for the positive comments on the welding. I haven't welded for several years and it's not exactly like riding a bike. I have spent more time grinding off bad welds than making good ones. I have actually lost sleep over the damn things. Persistance and grinding wheels.

Roy

Building a new tip-up log splitter #2

Here are some pics of making the base. I added some heavy wall rectangular tubing inside the base to keep it from bending and add some weight. The rest of the pics are examples of how I did the gussets on each end of the I-beam. I used 7018 rods for the first few passes. Then if I wanted better looking welds I went over them with 6013 rods.

Roy

Building a new tip-up log splitter #3

Here are some pics of deciding how big to make the rack for the engine and oil tank. I was also locating where to weld the pivot points for the tip-up function.

Roy

Here are some pics of making the base. I added some heavy wall rectangular tubing inside the base to keep it from bending and add some weight. The rest of the pics are examples of how I did the gussets on each end of the I-beam. I used 7018 rods for the first few passes. Then if I wanted better looking welds I went over them with 6013 rods.

Roy
I hope that your "hollow foot" will be strong enough with the tubing inside. I have found when using our splitter in the vertical mode is that you have a tendency to have the chunk of wood press against the very tip of the foot. When this happens the pressure will test your metal and welds to the extreme. With our splitter, I finally laminated a bunch of 2x3/8x16 inch flat stock to make a 2 inch thick foot. This one will not break!
Also, I hope those are high speed tires, wheels, spindles, and bearings you have to transport the rig. Be sure to watch your tongue weight because there will be a lot of metal hanging off the back of the axle. Make sure the tongue is long enough. (DAMHIKT)

Foot and Tirz

I hope that your "hollow foot" will be strong enough with the tubing inside. I have found when using our splitter in the vertical mode is that you have a tendency to have the chunk of wood press against the very tip of the foot. When this happens the pressure will test your metal and welds to the extreme. With our splitter, I finally laminated a bunch of 2x3/8x16 inch flat stock to make a 2 inch thick foot. This one will not break!
Also, I hope those are high speed tires, wheels, spindles, and bearings you have to transport the rig. Be sure to watch your tongue weight because there will be a lot of metal hanging off the back of the axle. Make sure the tongue is long enough. (DAMHIKT)

I think the foot will hold up. That tubing is thick and heavy. The pic shows tack welds. I made full length welds after I took the picture. All of the critical welds were done with high strength rods and usually multipass. I've seen other splitters that only used a piece of chanel for the foot with no other metal added in. Also those gussets add a lot of surface area for more weld and greater strength. And if it snaps well then I learn something.

The wheels are off a Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer kit. It was cheaper to buy the whole trailer kit on sale than buy the wheels, hubs and axles. Yes they are high speed. I really haven't seen any wheels made like this that are not high speed.

Roy

Tongue weight

I made the tongue long enough to have the tail gate downwith the splitter hitched up. I can swing the splitter completety one side, 90 degrees to the back bumper, and still be able to use the splitter.

The weight? There is a few pounds on it untill you put the cylinder in place then maybe, oh it has to be under 80 or 90 pounds. I mean I can lift it pretty easily.

Roy

Nice Roy but you better wait til you finish it to pull it behind the truck. LOL Ive wanted to build my own for years but I just cant find the time or money. Keep the pics coming. :)
attachment.php

Hi Rookie1,

My neighbor thought I was taking it someplace that day. He's keeping an eye on me because he has some nice big oak rounds that need splitting. I was setting the position for the pivots and checking the hitch height. I wouldn't want to take it anyplace until I get paint on it. Even then I don't know if I want to take my baby out on the salty roads. I've been saving parts since '06 and life has conspired to give me the time to work on it. I have been working on the placement of the valve and fitting hoses so more pics are on the way.

Roy

I made the tongue long enough to have the tail gate downwith the splitter hitched up. I can swing the splitter completety one side, 90 degrees to the back bumper, and still be able to use the splitter.

The weight? There is a few pounds on it untill you put the cylinder in place then maybe, oh it has to be under 80 or 90 pounds. I mean I can lift it pretty easily.

Roy

Why I had said "watch the tongue weight" is to make sure you keep enough weight on the tongue. When I finished up the heavy foot on our flip up splitter there was too little weight on the tongue and it really started to sway back and forth at any speed over 45 mph. Now after some modifications I can travel at 65 and I don't even know the splitter is behind me.

Latest posts

Back