Building a new tip-up log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some pics of making the base. I added some heavy wall rectangular tubing inside the base to keep it from bending and add some weight. The rest of the pics are examples of how I did the gussets on each end of the I-beam. I used 7018 rods for the first few passes. Then if I wanted better looking welds I went over them with 6013 rods.

Roy

If you're not already using them, try 7018 3/32" rods. Much easier to run, especially vertical up. Nice looking machine. Now hurry up so we can see it in action!:hmm3grin2orange:

Steve

Splitter

hey Roy, Great job! I have a swisher 28 ton that uses a very similar wedge design, right down to the bolted plates that slide along and capture the I beam. Very strong. What I am contemplating is adding a wood tray next to the splitting area. This type of wedge mount does complicate that a bit. I had an old Case splitter before my Swisher and it had a nice 12" wide 18" long wood tray that allowed pieces to sit on it while splitting the rest of the log. Are you planning any sort of try or cradle on yours? I was curious if you where on how you might mount it. Again great job.

Mounting the control?

Hi Roy,
Just another question about your mighty fine splitter. Where are you thinking about mounting the hydraulic control?
My suggestion is to mount it right in the center over the ram so you can operate the control from either side.
It is sure nice not to have to worry about which side you have to work from when you are approaching a bunch of rounds you want to split. Also it is easier to reach the control when you are trying to split a big old ugly stick when the beam is in the vertical position.

Tongue weight

Why I had said "watch the tongue weight" is to make sure you keep enough weight on the tongue. When I finished up the heavy foot on our flip up splitter there was too little weight on the tongue and it really started to sway back and forth at any speed over 45 mph. Now after some modifications I can travel at 65 and I don't even know the splitter is behind me.

Hi Jim,

When the splitter is in horizontal mode the weight is definitely forward and on the tongue. I tried to find the best location for the pivot points considering where the weight would be. I didn't want it to be too heavy to lift up to vertical. Also I had to consider the beam height in horizontal so it wouldn't be to high or low. I built a horizontal splitter 24 years ago and it was too low. I always got a crick in my back when using it. So it's a splitter made by committee. But the weight is on the tongue. I'll see what happens when I take it out for a spin.

Thanks for the pointers!

Roy

If you're not already using them, try 7018 3/32" rods. Much easier to run, especially vertical up. Nice looking machine. Now hurry up so we can see it in action!:hmm3grin2orange:

Steve

Hi Steve,

You know I was at the store looking for thicker rods today. I have to get over to my welding supply guy to get a good selection. I did have much better luck with the 6013 5/32 rods. They really put some bead down! Right now I only have 1/8 7018 rods.

Thanks for the tip!

Roy

hey Roy, Great job! I have a swisher 28 ton that uses a very similar wedge design, right down to the bolted plates that slide along and capture the I beam. Very strong. What I am contemplating is adding a wood tray next to the splitting area. This type of wedge mount does complicate that a bit. I had an old Case splitter before my Swisher and it had a nice 12" wide 18" long wood tray that allowed pieces to sit on it while splitting the rest of the log. Are you planning any sort of try or cradle on yours? I was curious if you where on how you might mount it. Again great job.

I am thinking of that too. I've seen several different ways to mount them. I think I could come off the side of the I-beam low enough to clear the wedge with supports. It's sort of like the little wood work table guys make to fit on their lathes. In that case it's a handy place for tools and what-not. But for the splitter a work surface like that will really save a lot of dropped logs and bending over. My back isn't what it used to be and then it's wasn't so good.
Ive got another question to answer about the mounting for the control valve. I'm going to post a pic of the way I did that and this idea could easily be adapted to the log table suport so have a look.

Thanks for the compliments and sharing ideas!

Roy

PS Merry Christmas too!

Control Valve location

Hi Roy,
Just another question about your mighty fine splitter. Where are you thinking about mounting the hydraulic control?
My suggestion is to mount it right in the center over the ram so you can operate the control from either side.
It is sure nice not to have to worry about which side you have to work from when you are approaching a bunch of rounds you want to split. Also it is easier to reach the control when you are trying to split a big old ugly stick when the beam is in the vertical position.

Hi Jim,

Well here's another thing I put some thought into. As I mentioned in an earlier post my first splitter was too low. The beam was too low and the valve handle was too low. So.. crick in the back unless I worked in a sitting position. With that in mind I got out the C-clamps and some scrap metal and tried a few locations for the valve. I have a bad shoulder on one arm and a bad shoulder and elbow on the other. Any sort of high reaching or repetitive motion in a bad part of my arm's range of motion will cost me some pain and lost sleep soo....... I knew I had to put some testing into the valve location. What I came up with is the valve centered between the two ports of the cylinder and off to one side several inches and about level with the center of the cylinder. It's a compromise. I did have it located closer towards the wedge but then the hoses didn't line up so well. Actually considering the final location was partially decided by vanity or style it's still very comfortable..I think. I won't really know until I have used it for a few hours. That's why I decided to bolt the valve mount to the beam. If it's not so great I can always move it. I will end up being able to use in from one side onll when it's horizontal but that's no huge problem. It's on wheels! I think it's high enough so I can still get at the handle fairly well in vertical position with a huge round.

Thanks for the pointers!

Roy

Merry Christmas too!

Valve location thoughts

Hi Roy,

Hi Jim,

You know what would be cool? Some sort of mount like an articulated arm so you could swing the control valve from side to side or lock it in place at any point in-between. Or keep the valve in one place and have a sort of cable control. But how much work do I want to put into this?

I saw one of those table jobs on YouTube with a foot switch what looked like it was controling a solinoid valve. It was connected to a length of heavy wire cable and the operator could place it where he wanted it. That's cool too.

Roy

Valve mount log table or work table support

Here are the pics of the valve mount and location. The arm coming off the beam could be modified to hold up a log/work table. Two of them would hold up any log you could lift.

Roy

1986 log splitter

Here's a pic of my first attempt back in '86. I'm in the black teeshirt. Notice the bad ergonomics for the operator?

Roy

splitter

That looks great Roy. I like the arm idea. I was originally thinking of a Brake formed plate. Get a local shop to bend it up for me. I was worried about deflection. Two arms and a heavy plate would be awesome! Keep up the good work and great pictures. Here is the splitter I used for the last 15 years. I sold the tractor/splitter combo this year and bought a used stand alone splitter. I miss the table.

P1014089.jpg

That looks great Roy. I like the arm idea. I was originally thinking of a Brake formed plate. Get a local shop to bend it up for me. I was worried about deflection. Two arms and a heavy plate would be awesome! Keep up the good work and great pictures. Here is the splitter I used for the last 15 years. I sold the tractor/splitter combo this year and bought a used stand alone splitter. I miss the table.

P1014089.jpg

That looks like it was a good setup. I like the double cut system. I had another idea about mounting the work table. Have the two arms come off the table and fit into square tube stubs on the I-beam. That way you could take it off when it's tipped up.

Thanks for the picture!

Roy

Adding 1/2" plate

After deciding to change a few things to take some stress off the ram ( see http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/161431.htm ) I also decided to add a 1/2" plate to the top of the beam. So the project didn't die just had to get a new cylinder mounting design together. I'm also building a new wedge so pics will follow as I get to each new part.

Roy

Looking good.
I wanted to build one that tipped but I found a large I beam for free so that changed my mind.

Me likey!
Primo fab up and welding.

I was worried about warping that beautiful plate. I guessed at the length of weld and spacing and alternated the welds sort of like tightening head bolts. I used 7018 rods and got some good beads. I checked the plate before and after with a straight edge and I did no harm.

Thanks for the compliment!

Roy

Nice Build

Looking good.
I wanted to build one that tipped but I found a large I beam for free so that changed my mind.

Nice build! That is some beam I can see why you kept it horizontal. I like the car wheels too. Did you make that oil tank?

Roy

Nice build! That is some beam I can see why you kept it horizontal. I like the car wheels too. Did you make that oil tank?

Roy

I just noticed the valve mounting. That's original. What's the square tube socket on the rear end used for?

Roy

Latest posts

Back