Buying a new saw........can't decide

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shrug

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am going to be buying a new saw in the near future. I am usually a Husqvarna guy, but I can't decide if I am going to stay loyal or go with a Stihl this time around.

My main question is this. I am either going to go with a 395XP or a 3120XP Husqvarna...........or I am possibly going to go with a 660 or a 880 stihl.

My gut instinct was to go for the bigger of the two saws from each manufacturer. But would I be farther ahead to get one of the smaller models and then put a big bore kit on it and do some muffler and carb mods? Let me know what you guys think.

not that I own a 880 or 3120, but the general consensus seems to be unless you're milling or cutting REALLY big wood, a 660/395 is just as good, cheaper and a lot lighter!

I'm a Husqvarna man but brought a secondhand Stihl 660 last week, 36" bar. Have yet to put it in wood so can't tell you how it performs though. I'd probably have gone for a Husqvarna 395 if I had the choice but they don't come up very often secondhand round me.

What's the main use for the saw? I've run 880 and a 3120 at gtgs. They are big and heavy but will go through big wood great.

In PA there is no need for a 880/3120 unless you mill, stump all day, or like a huge heavy saw IMO. If you are looking for a good all around saw the 660/395 saws are both great. Pair one of them up with a 70cc offering and you are set. I'm not saying there are not trees around that could benefit from a 880/3120, but they are few and far between and the costs of owning one of these beasts just doesn't warrant it.

In PA there is no need for a 880/3120 unless you mill, stump all day, or like a huge heavy saw IMO. If you are looking for a good all around saw the 660/395 saws are both great. Pair one of them up with a 70cc offering and you are set. I'm not saying there are not trees around that could benefit from a 880/3120, but they are few and far between and the costs of owning one of these beasts just doesn't warrant it.

I'll go with what Oscar said. I'd like to have a 660 or 395 at some point myself. Where in PA are you boys located?

I am in the Poconos. A lot of guys don't realize how big and heavy those 120+ cc saws are. To be totally honest, myself and most other tree guys I know use 90cc saws sparingly except those of us who grind stumps. And when we do, it is for a small amount of cuts. A 3120/880 would not be very useful for your lone saw. A 660/395 would be more useful, and a 460/372/etc., even more so.

Oscar, I tried to reply to your PM.....but your mailbox is full and it would not send it through.

I am located in Western PA..........about an hour north of Pittsburgh PA, if you know where that is.

I am leaning toward the 395XP myself, and what you guys have said does make sense. I figure I can put a BB kit on it and maybe get a port job done on it. Trouble is that NO ONE in my area does port work and I don't really wanna send a new saw through the mail......if ya know what I mean.

Thanks for the PM heads up! Have you got much time on a 395 stocker? Good saw with plenty of power for basically anything you can throw at it. Get a 24in. and a 36in. bar and you are set for everything other than pruning apple trees. lol

When you need the big thunder its nice to have it available.
As an 084 owner, I can tell you running one for an extended period of time isn't much fun.

Ed

Oscar,

I have never run a 395XP........but I own a 390XP and have used it a bunch. I am just looking for more saw. There have been a few times that I had my 390 burried deep into some big wood and I would have loved to have a little more grunt.

Since I already have a 390 should I jump straight to the 3120 for the really big timber.......what do ya think?

Since I already have a 390 should I jump straight to the 3120 for the really big timber.......what do ya think?

Now thats makes things a little different . Do you have a good 70cc saw? If not I would ditch the 390 and pick up a 372 and a 395. If you do, then by all means go for the 3120 if you got the scratch.

Yeah, my dad has an old 371 that is in GREAT shape. And my 390 is also like new, we take real good care of our stuff. So I got that covered.

Now I just gotta decide 395 or 3120???????

Yeah, my dad has an old 371 that is in GREAT shape. And my 390 is also like new, we take real good care of our stuff. So I got that covered.

Now I just gotta decide 395 or 3120???????

In that case 3120 may be the ticket. This is a good decision to have to make. LOL

I know, either way I look forward to using the new beast.....whatever I decide. Oh, and about porting the 390. I have thought about doing that many times, but like I said, I don't have anyone in my area that I would trust to do it.......and I don't really wanna tackle my first port job on a saw that nice just in case things didn't go well. So, I will probably just leave it alone and be buying a bigger saw.

Logging2.jpg

Here is a pic of me and my 390........cutting up an old locust tree.

What are you going to use the saw for?

The 3120 and 880 can both be very disappointing in how low they're rev limited. Also, the 3120 has a fixed jet carb and is not adjustable.

Last edited:
Well, I would be using the saw for cutting some of the larger timber that I get into on my brother's father in laws land. Also, I cut for my uncle and his son in law every year.........and there are some BIG trees on there place as well.

Latest posts

Back