Can anyone tell me about this splitter before I buy it for $800.00

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one thats VERY close to that...its been a great splitter...

I would be all over that for $800...as long as it operates properly...

my $0.02 worth

pipe connection on return is fine. Yea, it had better work well. Judging from the pile of blocks behind it, I would say it works...
Looks like more than a 24" stroke (30 inch??). Also looks like it is too low to the ground judging from the splits under the wheels.

I agree, that for a few hundred more you can have new stuff. If It were me, I would offer several hundred less than the asking price :rolleyes2:

=Pat

NT sells cylinders and other hydraulic parts. I suspect that someone bought the ram and installed it on a homemade or modified splitter frame.

It looks well used. I wouldn't give more than $500 for it.

I would bet the piece under the tongue is 16" which makes it exactly the same size as the unit I have....

its not too low to the ground...will be about the same height as a Timberwolf TW1...

I would also bet that its a commercially made splitter...

the person took care of it.

What motor is on it? it looks like a Honda Gas Tank...

Northern Tool made a unit just like that for a while...

For $200 more you can go to Tractor supply and get the 22 ton that also does vertical with a warranty.

I still think it's been played with a bit much for my likeing at that price. Look at the push/cylinder connection, it's been redrilled and moved up. Maybe a new bigger cylinder which means maybe original splitter wasn't built to handle bigger cylinder. Hydraulic tank filler has some extra black pipe added onto it, hard to tell but is there even a plug in the end of the pipe? Why put those extensions and an elbow on it? Hydraulic tank looks way too small for that size cylinder, gonna overheat? Push plate looks pretty thin and the 4 bolts look pretty small, I broke my old one off a couple of times until I beefed it up. Setting it on wood splits so the tires don't rot tells me the guy looks after his stuff though so I would trust his talk. Don't get me wrong I think the splitter is fine, I would bid it up to $500 at a sale but any more than that and I would head to TSC with a sale flyer. Which is exactly why we are a throw away society, it's so easy to buy cheap and new.

When I buy something used my rule of thumb is never pay more than 1/2 what it costs new. I think you could buy a brand spanking new one like that for $1200.

fwiw, i picked up my very first hydraulic splitter recently when I got a load of BIG white oak limbs (24") that I couldn't hand split. I got the Huskee 22 ton for $700 on CL. I don't think it had ever had more than a few tanks of gas through it, and it came with a 5 gallon bucket of hydraulic oil, manuals, hang tag and everything else.

Only thing I don't like about it so far is that throttle seems finicky and you can't run the tank dry. It starts to sputter when there is still fuel in the tank.

Hard to tell in photo but looks like two c-channels bolted together for a light weight beam. There appear to be several bolts the length of the web, and in front of the push plate a joint or seam down the middle. I would pass if that's the case. The split rounds in the backround are very large, but also straight grain and easily split. This was a common '70's design. I have a single stage Speeco from that era modified with 15" wheels, and a detent valve. I like the less than half the price of new idea. But if it is a split beam I'd pass and go new, and that might be what the seller will do is buy new. A good tool is a joy to use. I have had 5 or 6 cheap come-a-longs, and just bought a 3 ton. It is just bigger cheap and going back to TSC! The cable jambs in along side the sheave and the housing when unspooling. Baileys has a 2 and 3 ton puller. Don't really use it that much, couple times a year, and didn't want to spend that much. But, if every time you unspool it jambs, it is no longer fun and becomes a fight what's the point of being in the woods. Wood splitters, come-a-long, little difference. They are 'long term' 'investments', and if I bought quality 20 years and 6 come-a-longs ago, I'd be money ahead, way ahead.

Log splitter
600$ for same thing in Tacoma WA, might call and ask him about the splitter just to answer questions about it.

He says it is a Northern Tool splitter in his ad. I think stuff like log splitters may be slightly cheaper out here on the west coast than the east coast as our winter's are milder and there are less wood burners in this area.

I got mine for 500$ with a rotor tiller it is a 28ton Brave H/V with 8hp Briggs, 16gpm 2 stage pump.

I did a motor swap and a carb rebuild on 11hp swapped motor and now it runs really nice. I like the vertical setting for big rounds. I think price is a bit high but it just depends on your local area.

I sold my rotor tiller for 150$, so I got the splitter for 350$ and it worked when I got it. I was the first one to call and the guy said his phone keep ringing off the hook.

It was in the summer, about this time of year.

I would say look for a Horizontal Vertical if possible, and a better deal. But be ready with cash and to call right away on the ad.

I think the guy with the splitter is in the driver's seat, this time of year!

Good luck, it is just a little overpriced is all. Not much.

Make sure it works for 800$ and no issues, is my advice. Maybe call that ad on your cell, (no long distance fees)

I know you ain't driving to Tacoma WA to save 200$!

Mine is probably worth about 800-1000$ I think, so 600 for this one is a fair price.
things sell
Also Tacoma WA is sort of a "lower price" area compared to Seattle, things will typically sell for less in Tacoma.

I agree with the other guy $600 is a better price. 20 ton equals about a 5-6hp 3/4" shaft 11gpm 2 stage pump.
Probably will split about anything you put on there!
John

Thanks everyone! I got scammed

After seeing the unit and agreeing to $800.00 (there have been no splitters on craigslist for the last year under $1000.00) I insisted on a manual. He finally came up with one when he delivered. It was strategically ripped where you could read the tonnage. When I taped it back together it was a 16 ton! He listed it as 30 ton. When I googled the correct model # (he lied about that too)' all I could find were popular science and popular mechanics articlesa from 1986 and 1987. He insisted he bought it new 5 years ago. So I told him to take it back. We finally agreed on a $200.00 reduction to $600.00. It has a wisconsin W1-185 engine that is also a very old model which needs a new recoil assemble. He starts it now by wrapping a rope around. It starts right up and purrs. Anyone know where I can get the recoil assy.
Thanks again all! I would not been as careful if i did not get your collective opinions!
Larry

Lots of scammers out yonder. Buy anything mechanical, and you have to see it perform on the spot, the duty it was made for.... without fail. If you hear...."Gee, it's never done that before" RUNNNNNNNN. :blob2:

Myself, I hand split up until a few years ago. Now have a 27 Ton Cub Cadet that can Vertical split. My 2 cents, I would NEVER own a splitter that doesn't vertical split. What a GREAT feature. No noodling, no heavy lifting.

Northern Hydraulics model 1134View attachment 248447

This is a very reliable splitter and Northern has been around a long time. Another benefit is every part except the structure (beam and oil tank) can still be purchased through their catalog. I have owned this same model for over 25 years and have never had problems with mine. The pipe you see on the return tank is probably because the original owner lost the plastic vent/filler cap (which you can still buy from Northern). I can understand extending it too because if it is towed using the factory cap, the hyd oil will splash at the cap and because it is a vent too, it makes a mess. Extending it would solve that problem. Mine came with a 5hp Techumseh engine which runs as strong as the day it first ran. Doesn't burn oil or anything.

Yes it is a 16ton splitter and is from the mid to late 1980's, but it has a two stage pump which makes it a bit faster than the cheapo ones you can buy these days. Mine has ALWAYS split every log I put on it and I have done some knarly logs. Large (like 20" diameter) oak and maple full of knots and it just pushes right through. Makes me wonder why anyone would REALLY need a 20+ ton machine. This splitter was in the $800 range in the late 1980's....convert that to today's money and it would probably be a $2500 machine.

sometimes that happens.

It is called the game of life. You learn a lesson once in awhile.
It ain't all bad, you got 200 clams back outta the deal. You got a running splitter. Already mentioned, they don't know when to die.

Last year I got a "running splitter" "Heavy duty" for $200
View attachment 278697

What I got was a antique homemade custom monstrosity of parts, with a 50 year old engine (that runs, btw) and a 67 second cycle time. What I re-used to create a functional machine was the oil tank and the beam. With the price of steel, probably about a push...
And I got a conversation piece of a engine, and some scrap iron left :D

I agree, that for a few hundred more you can have new stuff. If It were me, I would offer several hundred less than the asking price :rolleyes2:

=Pat

Ditto... $500 I'd bite and fix it to my liking. It looks pretty decent.

Hellbent:rock:

Latest posts

Back