Can I Get Some Feedback On My Website?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Top Tree Service

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a recent employee of an arborist in Victoria, and he actually paid me to build him a website. I'm wondering if I could get some feedback on my content and also the visual appeal. I want to make sure it's most importantly: Correct, and also fitting to this industry.

Wondering if my homepage is too "wordy"?

The website is: http://www.greatervictoriatreeservice.ca/

Any constructive criticism or feedback is greatly appreciated :)

Thank you! You can pm me if you like it and would like something similar, as I am thinking of doing this for multiple companies soon.

Hey guys, I'm a recent employee of an arborist in Victoria, and he actually paid me to build him a website. I'm wondering if I could get some feedback on my content and also the visual appeal. I want to make sure it's most importantly: Correct, and also fitting to this industry.

Thank you! You can pm me if you like it and would like something similar, as I am thinking of doing this for multiple companies soon.

I would say, it is way, way, way too wordy. Get to the basics of what you offer. I would also make the type black instead of gray. I know you spent a ton of time on this but it is more like trying to read a novel than to find a service. I think people will click off and go to another site. If you could have some before and after pics it would be helpful. You could consider putting the phone number in several places on your home page and in a bright color. I think your home page should be much more basic with drop down links to each category rather than a home page where you scroll down forever. If you have links to all your services, on your home page, it would help. From my own experience, many people will not look at a thing you have on your web site. They are just looking to find a phone number so they can call and talk with someone. There are some who like to look at pictures or videos but most people just want to talk about their unique situation. The links I tested worked fine. Good luck.

I looked at your site and can offer a few additional comments to those already provided.

I have a real problem with the claim that you are the Best Removal Service. How can you quantify this? It may just be my scientific bias, but I have difficulty making a claim you can't back up and there is no way you can back this up.

Second is the term Most Affordable - which is double talk for cheapest. Do you really want this label?

Third - I'm not sure topiary and bonsai pictures should be in the pruning section. Pruning trees your customers are likely to have I think would be more appropriate.

The picture you used on the hedging section where you showed the privet hedge with sticks on the top I don't think should be shown. I'm sure you have better pictures. The same for the crown reduction section where you show a palm. I think your pictures should be appropriate to the service you are promoting. The removal section should show some large fir/hemlock conifer removals.

I'm not sure whether you want to talk about your competitors - good or bad.

Finally, if you are going to be offering consulting services, you may want to mention who will be providing those services and what qualifications they possess.

Don't take my criticisms personally, many of them are frustrations from other web sites I see.

The opening view is awesome - simple, eye-catching, effective.

After that it gets pretty wordy. Think of it like a newspaper - there are three levels of info. The basic headline which sums up the story in as few words as possible. If anyone needs/wants more info, they click the link to read more. The second level is the opening paragraph. It takes 1-3 sentences to sum up the story in a bit more detail. If people need/want more info, then they read the rest of the article with all the juicy details.

After I saw your first page, I wondered why you even bothered to have more pages. Everything was there on the first one. No need for additional pages, or if you like, have quick links to those other pages without putting the same info on the opening page. I rather like the one-page option, though. It's usually cheaper that way as well.

Otherwise, it looks very good. You have a good eye for it.

Along w/ doing tree work I'm also a web developer.
Take a look at my site http://cullinsservice.com/
The first page should just be a landing page, Eye catching.
I may have overdone it a bit on the graphics, but a pic is worth thousand words.
Have a pic of the service and a title. Then a link going to a page where you can explain in as much detail as you want.
You have to sell them and get them interested in something before they are gonna spend the time to read about it.

I used bootstrap and coded everything myself I'm not familiar w/ weebly so I don't know about any bells and whistles they offer.
If you want any more feedback or have questions let me know

@Top Tree Service

I like the section above the fold. The picture and headline are the right size, but the white font is a bit difficult to read. If you can make the picture a bit more transparent, that might help the headline to be easier to read. (Note: it IS readable, but doesn't pop out).

I also might consider moving the phone number to be more centered.

Regarding the form fill:
Are you able to remove a section or two? For example, date of service can be helpful, but if you are super busy, then it might be better to not include that. It will make it that much easier/faster for prospects to request a quote, and they are going to be somewhat dependent on your schedule, anyway.
If they've found you online and submitted a request for quote, in most cases you can assume they want work right away.

Here's an example of a landing page (this is just a demo) that works VERY well. Normally, the page would be much longer with more sections, but this demo still gives an idea of how it can work. One thing I think you should consider is a hero shot with a background of something outside in Victoria, that tells the visitor, "We are the local experts."

I agree with others that there is too much information on the page, at least in writing form.
I recommend doing two things:
- Put the most important points in bullets
- Turn this content into video(s), with a headline about the topic or question answered. Then film yourself or a manager; that way the customers can not only get the information, but feel like they are getting to know you a bit better, as well. Your current video, that just displays a phone number, would be a lot better with just a person speaking into a camera.

Good luck and update this topic if you decide to change anything!

Seems too much words on the homepage to me. Also since you have some testimonials, why not pull out some of them and put them on the homepage? This is to convince your visitors that you really are "the best" in the area when it comes to tree services.

Having that phone number right up front and bold up there is a big plus,,
Now for all the services you say you offer, you should put your cert. numbers,,
Like your certified ISA Arborist and all the cert numbers for the services you offer,
Not only that, there is nothing about you, who you are, how you started, etc,,more personal,
We are up grading ours, but here is ours at this time,,still updating,
http://www.urbantreecare.com/

Jeff

Having that phone number right up front and bold up there is a big plus,,
Now for all the services you say you offer, you should put your cert. numbers,,
Like your certified ISA Arborist and all the cert numbers for the services you offer,
Not only that, there is nothing about you, who you are, how you started, etc,,more personal,
We are up grading ours, but here is ours at this time,,still updating,
http://www.urbantreecare.com/

Jeff

Post your site when it is updated, curious to see the results...

Latest posts

Back