Can I use this Ripping Chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalli445

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a Husqvarna 390XP with a 36" bar. I bought a 36" chainsaw mill and I'd like to buy a ripping chain. I went to Bailey's and I only see a 36" ripping chain in .050 gauge. Can I use this chain? Thanks

Hmm that's the issue. I bought the saw used and I'm not sure what the size is. I'll have to measure it. Do you know what these gauges convert to in 16ths or 32nds of an inch?

Turns out I have a Oregon Laser-Tip / Armor Tip. Pitch: .404" Gauage: .063" Drive Link: 104

So far I've found a chain on ebay made by Carlton for $63 shipped and Granberg sells a chain by the foot for $3.54.

Attached is one listed by Oregon. Don't know who stocks it. Might have to special order?

Any chain can be ground to a ripping profile. A number of people have posted about doing that gradually, as the chain needs sharpening. Or you can just go for it and grind it all at once. 10* vise rotation, 50* grinder head tilt, 10* down angle, .030 depth gauge offset (for 27R chain shown, according to Oregon).

Philbert

Screen shot 2014-02-26 at 6.55.29 PM.png

Bailey's site is a little hard to navigate for me at the moment, but I was able to get to this page eventually.

Here is there woodland pro ripping chain for your bar.. it's pretty reasonable at 37 cents a drive link
http://www.baileysonline.com/Forest...3RP-Ripping-Chainsaw-Chain-Per-Drive-Link.axd

Thanks. That seems like a good price. Granberg sells it by the foot for $3.54. I'll need a 6 foot chain (36" Bar) (6'*$3.54= $21.24) which seems like a good price as well. I don't know what shipping would cost or the quality of a Granberg chain. Seems to cheap to be true

Thanks. That seems like a good price. Granberg sells it by the foot for $3.54. I'll need a 6 foot chain (36" Bar) (6'*$3.54= $21.24) which seems like a good price as well. I don't know what shipping would cost or the quality of a Granberg chain. Seems to cheap to be true

You will actually need more than 6' as the tail of the bar is in front of the sprocket. The 36" measurement on your bar is the available cutting length from the front of your saw. With 104 DL' s you will need approximately 84" of chain.

A 404 chain has a FAT kerf and you will make a lot more sawdust and less lumber than a 3/8.

I was thinking about that, but it almost seemed like a different question. The OP might want to consider a different bar for milling, using a thinner kerf chain, if he plans on doing a lot of this.

Granberg sells it by the foot . . .

Double check on the Granberg brand of ripping chain. I never used it, but as I recall it used to be different. They used extra scoring cutters between the standard cutters. I don't know what brand of chain they start with, or if it is custom made for them. I know a local saw shop custom makes ripping chain similar to that out of standard STIHL chain. Can't comment on if this is better or not, just suggesting that you clarify what it is that you might be ordering.

Philbert

Screen shot 2014-02-27 at 12.32.47 PM.png

Back