cant hook??????????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely take the cant hook to the woods. Rarely use the jack stand that attaches to the backside of it though. I just roll the log over to finish my partial cuts. I learned rather quickly that trying to finish a cut through the log from one side ended up in a chain sharpening job later because I hit the dirt, or worse, a rock. While it forced me to learn to sharpen chains it was a quick lesson. My brother and I cut a lot together, we each take a cant hook and work the big logs together if needed. I've never used the peavey with a point on the end but my understanding is that it's advantage would be in yarding work or the river drives of yesteryear. +1 on the pickaroon or hookaroon. Very handy tool also in the woods. My old back has taught me to work smarter not harder.

I use a 48" LogRite cant hook, but often wish it was longer for anything over 18" dia. The added foot not so useful, unless you get a small board under it to increase the foot print, and it is often in the way. I took it off. The Peeve sits in the shed mostly. Sometimes I use it in a log pile if I can not get things sorted out with a hookaroon. The cant hook is mounted on the log arch.

Never go to the woods without one, Once you get one you will find all kind of uses. Like getting the log out where it can be cut easier, Unsticking a bar, Cutting log 3/4 way down and turning over to finish. Next to the saw, it's the second best tool you will have.

Lots of times when we drop a tree some of the bigger can be cut completely off and often times there is a nice limb that is left on the main trunk and just cut off leaving a 4-6 ft handle to roll the trunk so it can be completely cut. I had a cant hook but never took it in the woods.

Last edited:
Agreed, a cant hook makes life so much easier when you're bucking logs on the ground. Cut partway through, insert wedge, cut 3/4 through. Roll the log over with the cant hook and finish your cuts.

Keeps yer chain off the ground and away from rocks, snow and ice. I wouldn't go cutting without it. :)

You cant roll a huge log over by hand especially if it's got limbs or not perfectly round, A cant hook lets you do it.

attachment.php

I havee the 48 inch Stihl. Built like a beast. Cant break it. Think it was 124.00

The 78 will roll large logs with less effort. Moving large stump cuts off stump. Or breaking logs free from frozen ground.

This is a peavey but the idea is the same. They'll save you a lot of work and back strain.

[video=youtube;-XxnbNXh4q8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-XxnbNXh4q8[/video]

This is a peavey but the idea is the same. They'll save you a lot of work and back strain.

[video=youtube;-XxnbNXh4q8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-XxnbNXh4q8[/video]

nice,thank you!!!!! I going to get one!:msp_smile:

I like my cant hook and use it a lot, but I think the Cant Hook and Peavy Manufacturer's Association would pay you guys not to post the last 2 videos. If those were the only examples to view before purchase then I think it would hurt sales! LOL :hmm3grin2orange:

I like my cant hook and use it a lot, but I think the Cant Hook and Peavy Manufacturer's Association would pay you guys not to post the last 2 videos. If those were the only examples to view before purchase then I think it would hurt sales! LOL :hmm3grin2orange:
Hey give us a break, We ain't no spring chickens anymore.:laugh:

didnt use to have a canthook . after i turned 50 i got a canthook, a log stand, a pickeroon and everything else that could make my backs life easier.

Back