Chain interchangeability?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benelli7d

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Still learning. Can you interchange chain brands with all saws if pitch and length are the same? I just bought an Echo 501p and am wondering if this chain, will fit and work OK. Sorry to look so dumb but what's dumber is not asking.

Husqvarna Chainsaw Chain 20" .050 Gauge .325 Pitch x-Cut​

Thanks guys. It looks like no Husky chain will work on my 501p. All of their .325s are either .050 ga with 80 drivers or .058 ga with 78 drivers. My saw calls for .325 .050 and 78. I was hoping to get a better chain than an Oregon but guess I'm stuck with Chinese crap unless any of you know of something better that will fit my spec.

Thanks guys. It looks like no Husky chain will work on my 501p. All of their .325s are either .050 ga with 80 drivers or .058 ga with 78 drivers. My saw calls for .325 .050 and 78. I was hoping to get a better chain than an Oregon but guess I'm stuck with Chinese crap unless any of you know of something better that will fit my spec.

You can get chains made in the correct length from any decent saw shop or online from someone like Baileys.

Baileys sells Husky Oregon and Stihl chains and also their house brand chain which I'm told is made by Carlton. I use a lot of that. It does not stay sharp quite as long as Stihl chain but it's a lot cheaper.

If you dont want to run oregon chain (which is fine and what I run just dont buy it off amazon) than you will have to switch the bar.
You can put a husky bar/chain on a echo, you could even make a stihl bar fit with an adapter.

Your saw likely has a 20” bar on it, 78 drive links tells me so. If you would get an 18” bar than your choice of chain becomes much easier to find. When i bought my Echo CS530 back in 2009 i had a choice of bars 16, 18, 20. I did a little research before choosing and 72 drive links was a very common Oregon offering in the 20 LPX, LGX series. .325 chain with 72 DL in .050 gauge is a very common offering amongst all the major saw chain manufacturers. Nothing wrong with Oregon chain, ive used it for years.

If you dont want to run oregon chain (which is fine and what I run just dont buy it off amazon) than you will have to switch the bar.
You can put a husky bar/chain on a echo, you could even make a stihl bar fit with an adapter.
Now that's some info worth knowing! I had no idea I could switch bars between brands.
Thanks

Your saw likely has a 20” bar on it, 78 drive links tells me so. If you would get an 18” bar than your choice of chain becomes much easier to find. When i bought my Echo CS530 back in 2009 i had a choice of bars 16, 18, 20. I did a little research before choosing and 72 drive links was a very common Oregon offering in the 20 LPX, LGX series. .325 chain with 72 DL in .050 gauge is a very common offering amongst all the major saw chain manufacturers. Nothing wrong with Oregon chain, ive used it for years.
From what I read on this site, a lot of guys say Oregon Canada is good but the rest are Chinese and I'm not sure how you can make sure you're buying Oregon Canada so until I can get some definitive way to do so, I'm staying away from Oregon chains.

Getting a rivet spinner for attaching chain links really opens up your chain selection. I have one Tsumura bar that says 105 drive links yet is two too many DLs. Having chains cut to custom length or trying to buy the correct length can be a PITA. Just take an existing chain and add or subtract some DLs and you are good to go.

Back