Chain interchangeability?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked my stihl boxes. All say made in Switzerland.
I just bought a Stihl 20" Chainsaw Chain Loop (23RM3 78 Drive Links) 3687 005 0078
from Baileys just because of this post! :happy: Thanks Guys.
I just can't abide Chinese crap nor can I support a country that is our enemy. Sure, I know I buy a lot of Chinese crap without knowing it or because it's no longer made in the USA, (almost all of our medications come to mind) but, when I do have a choice, I'll spend triple to get good quality stuff!

If you dont want to run oregon chain (which is fine and what I run just dont buy it off amazon) than you will have to switch the bar.
You can put a husky bar/chain on a echo, you could even make a stihl bar fit with an adapter.
This is for an Echo 501. I would think it is like the husky small mount that I can modify the 3005 Stihl bars to work, those for the ms251 and down. The 3003 bars ms260 and up the slot is way too big; the oil input will likely be off the bar pad and the adjuster hole excessively far from the centerline. the 3003 Stihl and large mount husky is likely what you have in mind.

He found a stihl chain for the echo bar so he's good now.
The echo bar is the same size as small mount husky but oil's through the adjuster hole. I've cut the guts out of the bar rail above the adjuster hole to make the oil come out there and slotted the adjuster hole so it lined up before for another saw, then you silicone the og oil hole in the bar. A cut off wheel in a dremel makes this quick and easy.

One more chain question. How can a chain that has this spec,

Husqvarna Chainsaw Chain 20" .050 Gauge .325 Pitch,​

be an 80 drive link chain when all the others I see with this spec have 78? What am I missing here? Thanks

Husqvarna X-Cut SP33G is made in Sweden.
Good info. Great first post after being here for 4 years. 👍
I've cut many a day cutting with Husqvarna branded .325 chains, still have several in use. I use Oregon LPX on the 3/8 saws, the spool I use has to be 15+ years old now. Gonna hate to have to start weeding through the dookie chains out there when I need new chain.

be an 80 drive link chain when all the others I see with this spec have 78? What am I missing here? Thanks
Husqvarna in their not so great wisdom decided to have two different 20" lengths for the mid size saws
the older? version (but still available on new saws) being 78dl and a few years ago added another 20" version at 80dl-not to mention the 2 different gauges of .050 and .058
all this just so customers can have a rant with dealers when they ask for a 20" chain for a mid size husky and we have a 25% chance on guessing which chain they have if they dont have the old one handy

Husqvarna in their not so great wisdom decided to have two different 20" lengths for the mid size saws
the older? version (but still available on new saws) being 78dl and a few years ago added another 20" version at 80dl-not to mention the 2 different gauges of .050 and .058
all this just so customers can have a rant with dealers when they ask for a 20" chain for a mid size husky and we have a 25% chance on guessing which chain they have if they dont have the old one handy
So, do they actually make a 20", .050, .325 that does have 78 drive links? If so I'd sure like to have that part number.

So, do they actually make a 20", .050, .325 that does have 78 drive links? If so I'd sure like to have that part number.
do you mean the bar? im not sure if they make it anymore but was 608 00 00 08 or HT-250-78
oregon # 200rnbk095

Shot of chain and your all set. Pins can be peened with or without a peening chisel. If you buy from a company no need for them to do anything but send it with presets and make your own.

Pretty sure its all chinese crap wether its got a brand name on it or not.

If you take a 20" bar with a replaceable nose sprocket for 3/8 pitch ,72 dl and change the sprocket nose to .325 a 81 drive link seems to be the best fit. Same as for some if not most 20" hard nose bars. There seem to be 80 dl laminated bars now. They might be more in the narrow kerf bars, a bit thinner and smaller nose. 78 is what seemed to be laminated 20" called length were.

................. I was hoping to get a better chain than an Oregon but guess I'm stuck with Chinese crap unless any of you know of something better that will fit my spec.
What do you have against Oregon? I can spin you any driver of old stock Oregon. I have reels of Stihl also but I am not sure if I have any .050 in Stihl.

+2 for replacing the bar with an 18" bar that uses .325"/.050"/72 drive links. All of my 50cc saws use that set-up and the chains are available just about everywhere. Another added bonus is that the saw will like the 18" bar better than the 20" as far as power and cutting speed........

Latest posts

Back