Chainsaws vs Wild Things.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlrookie

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So a few weeks back I went up to one of my usual spots to cut for the day. I parked my toyota in a wide spot and was gathering my gear to hike up with and start cutting when I heard something moving in the brush about 50 yards further up the road and just up the cut bank. I pulled my saw out of the bed, keeping an eye up the road, and sure enough a cow and yearling moose wandered across the road and down the hill. I enjoy seeing wildlife such as this when I am out in the woods. Anyway, the two animals continued on their merry way, no real hurry just ambling down and away from me. After they were out of sight I hiked about 75 yards up hill to where I had spotted a nice larch for my taking.

Being fairly steep and me moving somewhat quickly I was a bit winded when I reached my tree, breathing heavy and not really looking to far ahead of me. As I caught my breath and looked up a bit further, approximately 20 yards, I saw a very LARGE bull moose staring me down. I was between him and the other 2 that I had seen just moments before heading down the hill, not a good feeling. I have been charged at by a bull on two other occaisions, once while hiking and once while mountain biking, it is no fun.

Within a second I had flipped the lever to choke on my saw, 2 pulls and burp, flipped to hot start and 1 more pull and It roared to life. Literally took 2 seconds to get my saw going and that wasn't fast enough in my mind. I held the saw aloft and revved it a couple times hoping this would send him running. Well, big bull decided he wanted to keep his rack and turned just a bit from me and slowly wandered in the direction of the female and calf I had just seen, not worried one bit about me standing 60 feet away with chainsaw running. Taking his time with a glance over the shoulder at me he eventually left my cutting area.

I dropped the tree I was after and kept my head up for the rest of the day, thinking maybe that was a carnivorous moose. I didn't do this before but now I start my saw at the truck and warm it up before hiking in, you know, just in case. Now if only the bees would do the same and run from the saw I would be in great shape. I quit counting after "finding" 10 nests this season, luckily only 1 nest was those bald-faced bastys.

So how about it? Anyone else with a chainsawing, wildlife story?

Well, I don't have one quite as good as that one.But I did have a bantam rooster one time that would come jump all over my leg and try to spur me every time I used a skil saw or drill.I remember one time I was building a deck and sure enough, here the little fellow came, as soon as I started cutting.When he got close to me I put the skilsaw down close to the ground and pulled the trigger.As soon as it came to life the little rooster jumped all over it.Thank goodness for the guard.That's one bad bird,that will jump on a running saw.

deer hunting...

Last Saturday I was dropping and bucking some cherry...I had dropped and limbed a few and began bucking, the saw sputtered letting me know that I needed to let her cool off and then I could give her a drink and begin again. I had just killed the saw, set it down on the stump, took my muffs off and heard some leaves crunching. Three does walking through the woods came within 15 yards of me and acted like they didn't ever hear the saw or the carnage going on just 2 min ago...

I have sat in trees for what seemed like days only to see a deer and one little creek of the stand will sending them snorting and waving their tail... Who knew deer had CAD too...

I could have almost rode them out of the woods...it was pretty cool though...

HD

Sorry, not saw related but Idaho related. I did have a moose keep me from camp for about 20 minutes one eve while in Idaho on an archery elk hunt. No way to get around him. We took pics with flash, threw sticks and hollered at him. He just didn't care. Same trip I also had a bull elk rush me and stop 15 yards away and just look, wandered off slowly. I also found the bees and I'm slightly allergic. Stung twice in the hand and it swelled up and looked like a softball with a few stubby little finger coming out of it.

Was splitting and stacking at the edge of our field late this fall, and a 4-point buck decided to hang out with me for about half an hour. He very close and was clearly aware of me, and I was cracking them with the axe, carrying and stacking. He just didn't care.

If forage is in short supply, deer will feed brazenly on recently dropped tops.

Regarding the moose v chainsaw story, I repped ya for that. That would be something to take the antlers off a live moose. You'd never have to pay for a drink again. Just say, "Yeah, I'm the guy that cut the antlers off the bull" and everyone would ante up.

I was helping a friend a couple weeks back and had dropped 4 old maple trees. I started bucking the last one and about 20' up the trunk I noticed a wad of fur come out of the kerf and assumed I had cut into a nest of some kind. In the next breath, a rather large racoon ambled out of the hollow just beyond where I was cutting and headed for the barn. I guess the sound of the SP81 convinced him not to contend for his home.

To the OP, even armed with a chainsaw I would not want to tangle with a moose. I have never had any personal close encounters but everything I see and hear tells me they can be really bad news for an unprepared human being.

Mark

Cutting in winter, I've noticed several times that deer waited for us to go back to the truck for lunch, to come eat the buds off freshly fallen trees. Sometimes seemed like the knew that chainsaw noise = fresh buds...

Back in the 80's when I was living in Ohio I was splitting wood out in the yard. For some reason looked up and there not 30 yrds away was a whole herd of deer. I counted them. There were 37!! Some huge bucks included. Could not believe it. It was around this time of year my first year there and I was to see this same heard for the next 5 years every winter. They were just curious. I was pretty much out in the boonies where I wanted to be after having a stomach full of this place. Was great growing up here. Beautiful place , but the city people have tried their best to ruin it.

Not with a chainsaw but when on a guided snowmobile trip out by jackson hole WY. We were told not to shut our snowmobiles off when taking pictures of the moose as they have been charged several times by them on the trail. Told to be ready to get out of there if one charged and to not be more than a step away from the snowmobile if we needed tog et off the machine.

Moose from what I hear are not very friendly:msp_unsure:

LOL Grandpatractor has a GREAT one about a flying squirrel......but its mostly visual lol

We are slap 'eat up' with black bears here..!!
I like to walk to my mailbox (if the weather permits) which is 1/8 mile from the house.

I always carry my 4" S&W .357 Magnum AND my Glock .40 model 27

I DON"T want to kill them...but I don't want them to kill me either..LOL..!!

They're not aggressive generally..and will usually just stroll away..BUT a Mother and cub..??

The ultra-sonic sound of the .357 (ground-shot) has always turned them away..so far..!!..:bowdown:
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
How's a sound ultrasonic?
Faster than the speed of sound...roughly 1140 feet per second..(fps)

This is what what causes a "sonic-boom" that ultra-sonic jets can achieve.

They don't do this over metropolitan area as it 'freaks people out'..!!

Even a simple .22 Long is ultra-sonic and why there is "crack" sound when fired...

This is vs. say a .38 which is a "dull" sound and only travels at less than 1140 fps.
Hope this helps..!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: My error..!! I meant.."Super-sonic" rather than "ultra-sonic"...CRS Disease..SUCKS...!!!
J2F

Last edited:
The ultra-sonic sound of the .357 (ground-shot) has always turned them away..so far..!!..:bowdown:
J2F

Lol, I was just joking. I knew what was meant, but it says "the ultrasonic sound"...should probably have said, the sound of the ultrasonic bullet...or something similar. Anyway, just bein a smart@$$.

Lol, I was just joking. I knew what was meant, but it says "the ultrasonic sound"...should probably have said, the sound of the ultrasonic bullet...or something similar. Anyway, just bein a smart@$$.
All is "cool beans"..!! As I edited above..it was my mistake in mis-posting..!!

Anyways..very cool of you to post this reply..!!
Bes2ya!
J2F

Latest posts

Back