Chainsaws you had to use and didn't like.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Echo CS3000. What a limp #### dead duck weak turd.

And I really gotta say, most all older reed valve magnesium saws are pretty disappointing.

Never been in a position where I had to use a saw. As a groundie during college it was purely optional, and feeding/running chipper kept me busy.

Of the saws I've run, a friend's tiny Remington Mighty-Mite had to be the worst. Mist of oil all about, no power, and the clutch couldn't handle that. Made my CS-315 look like an 090.

Another candidate has emerged: friend's freebie Pioneer 1074 he handed me, to see what could be done. ("Only needs a new plug." he was told.) Hah! Now that it's running, it can really spread some oil, engine kinda sucks wind- piston-ported with power peak @7500. Had to bond air filter on before running it in wood tomorrow. How about 50cc with 14" bar? Enthusiasm well-curbed.

I used to have my mind made up which saws were good or bad but now I've had a slight change. Some of the saws mentioned like the Homelite 150, Stihl 028WB, 031AV and others helped change my mind. I cut up three big maple trees a few weeks ago and used about all my saws in the process. I set the saws aside as I found out they wouldn't run and cut well. I was really surprised by several saws I figured weren't up to the task. The saws that would run great and cut without bogging down were the Homelite 150, John Deere 80EV, Stihl 028WB, Husqvarna 362XP, a Poulan Micro 2.3 for trimming, and a McCulloch 610. Several others I was very disappointed with and set them aside because I couldn't get much out of them including one I thought would be the best, an 026 Stihl. The last time I tried this experiment a year ago the winners were a Dayton 2z463, a Homelite Super XL and a Pro Mac 700.
I'll admit the tuning on these saws must not have been optimized on some saws or the Homelite 150 surely wouldn't have out-cut the 026 but it did.

The Poulan Woodshark I had in 2002 was utterly pathetic. Never would run right.

Wood Sharks had a problem with the fuel lines and primer bulb setup. I usually bypass the primer bulb, reroute the lines and make my own tank vent. I usually turn the H and L screws an additional turn out. Some of the 'Sharks run okay and those I leave alone.

Had been using Husky 254's and 262's at work. One day my boss gave me his Jonsered 2055 to try that everybody was raving about, I hated it.

Echo 360t top handle. Read the reviews of people loving them. Bought a brand new one about a year ago. 1st time I used it, it quit after 10 minutes. Took to dealer, adjusted carb, took it back home. Next time, it quit after 10 minutes again. Took it back, dealer fiddled with carb again. Next time I used it, it quit after 10 minutes again. Dealer worked on it again. Next time I used it, quit after 10 minutes. Took it back to dealer, they replaced ignition coil. Told me Echo states they are having a problem with them when they get hot. Took saw home, it quit again after 10 minutes. Took saw back in, the dealer replaced the carb and told me if I had one more problem he would replace the saw. 2 weeks later, the dealer closed his doors. I used the saw again, ran like a race horse for 45-60 minutes. Problem solved right? Wrong. Next time I used it, it quit after 10 minutes. Now I am stuck with a possessed saw that won't run. Nearest dealer is 36 miles away.

Be a good saw to have around for them quick 10 minute jobs.

A forestry operation I was with had an MS 261, 341, and 180 in most land rovers. Of those, the only one I liked was the 341. The 261 didn't handle better than the 341, and it felt sluggish for limbing. The 180 is just a disaster. I mostly used my ported Echo 520 and my 385xp.

An old mac I borrowed from a mate.... Should have just bought a new bowsaw and cut by hand.

More time was spent trying to get it to run than cutting.

And the toy ms180 my boss has, it's sloooowwww.

Dad had an old Hoffco from the sixties, that never did run right. He didn't use it much, because it was more trouble than it was worth, so he taught me how to run a crosscut saw with him. Then he bought a Poulan, sometime in the mid 70's. It wouldn't start either, and if it did start it would run through a tank of gas in 10 minutes and refuse to start after that. Back to the crosscut saw for me.... (We heated with wood).

When I grew up I spent the money for a decent quality saw that would start and run. I've never forgiven either of those two saws....

385xp. That ####in saw is Way too strong, disgustingly smooth, and the perfect balance makes me want to puke!
:rolleyes2:

it's gotta be an 026 for me. i have fixed tons and tons of em but never had one in the woods until i picked mine up. well i pushed on it a little and the chain kept stopping...that saw was a gutless wounder and really pissed me off cause i searched and wanted one for so long. i wound up finishing with my echo 330EVL and had a blast doing it. sold that damn 026 and pretty much washed my hands of the orange and white. i didn't like the 441 one iota either.

nah just not my style of runner, no bottom end for a heavy handed person like myself. it handled fantastic just wish it had more noticable grunt over my other comparable saws to justify the price and over the money i made selling it:wink2: i'd take the stock(very strong) 350 husky i had over a stock 026. though if i ever get to run a ported one it might change my mind if there was that much of a difference

nah just not my style of runner, no bottom end for a heavy handed person like myself. it handled fantastic just wish it had more noticable grunt over my other comparable saws to justify the price and over the money i made selling it:wink2: i'd take the stock(very strong) 350 husky i had over a stock 026. though if i ever get to run a ported one it might change my mind if there was that much of a difference

I've got a stock 026 here, and a 350 with a flat top piston. To me, they are neck and neck. The 026 is better built, but I do like the feel and the front handle angle of the 350 better. Never done any timed cuts with either, but it's splittin hairs as far as I'm concerned. I'd say if an 026 is the worst saw you ever had to run, then you're pretty lucky. I had to clear a trail with a 'Lil Red Homie one time, that was rock bottom for me.

My 350 and 353 Husky definitely have more than my 026...

i rarely have to use a saw i don't like but i had to use an old homelite xl12 years ago and i remember i hated that saw. alot of people like them but nope not me.

Back