Chainsaws you had to use and didn't like.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to use........that was the OP's question.

I had to use a Husqvarna that H&S construction gave me to clear fence lines with. I don't even remember the model. It was hard to start, twice as heavy as what I needed, and the bar and chain on it was junk.

I hated that saw.

Echo 360t top handle. Read the reviews of people loving them. Bought a brand new one about a year ago. 1st time I used it, it quit after 10 minutes. Took to dealer, adjusted carb, took it back home. Next time, it quit after 10 minutes again. Took it back, dealer fiddled with carb again. Next time I used it, it quit after 10 minutes again. Dealer worked on it again. Next time I used it, quit after 10 minutes. Took it back to dealer, they replaced ignition coil. Told me Echo states they are having a problem with them when they get hot. Took saw home, it quit again after 10 minutes. Took saw back in, the dealer replaced the carb and told me if I had one more problem he would replace the saw. 2 weeks later, the dealer closed his doors. I used the saw again, ran like a race horse for 45-60 minutes. Problem solved right? Wrong. Next time I used it, it quit after 10 minutes. Now I am stuck with a possessed saw that won't run. Nearest dealer is 36 miles away.

I guess i could use a parts carcass for mine, which is new...

Hope it doesn't pull that routine on me. Only had it up in one tree so far, but if it replicates your experience my ground guy will be sweeping the pieces up into a dust pan for sure.

The worse saws I've ever had to run are usually someone elses. Several times on job sites they would send out a saw to cut up crates that our roof panels came in. That usually involves more than 2 dumpsters full of crateing lumber. Always some cheap Stihl that has a rocked out safety chain that some shop monkey has been trashing around the place for a few years. It usually turns into an overheated mess with the chain off and no scrwench to fix it with. A prybar and a good place to snap the lumber into dumpster size pieces is usually faster.

I was on a job once that I was staying after work and cutting up heavy oak pallets with my 945 Oly truck saw. I was getting a quick pick up load every day after work. That boss asked me if I had my saw so the apprentices could use it to fill the dumpster. Luckily that day I had my car and didn't have to tell him no way. I brought in my trusty Limb and Trim Remington electric for the apprentices to thrash the next day. It worked flawlessly and the boss was happy.

Another bad saw I've run is a Partner cutoff saw at another of the roofing contractors in my local. These guys send it out to cut anytime you say you are cutting brick. The worse part is when it gets there, the filter is plugged, it has old gas in it and no one tried to start it back at the shop. Not to mention, you are cutting wrigglet joint (flashing) for a hip gable and you are working 4 stories in the air on chicken ladders tied off in full safety harness with a retractable. Just send a grinder with a diamond wheel. Then the superintendant comes out huffing and puffing about it taking so long.

Sawtroll won't be posting here....he's never used the saws he hates:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Almost true, he's never actually run a chainsaw, and doesn't even own any. He's the Scandinavian
sales rep for Husqvarna. He lives in apartment in Olso, listens to techno, and loves apple-tinis

well there was the electric chainsaw ,damm cords wouldnt go far enough to the logs and kept coming unplugged ,must have had an aftermarket cord on it ............

I worked for a farmer in high school that had a Husqvarna 61 that spent more time in the shop than we did using it. Every time we got it out something was wrong with it. He finally bought a 290 to replace it and it was smooth sailing after that.

theres always the 2100 homelite ,couldnt give that saw away fast enough ........

Hi Aaron :hmm3grin2orange:

Old mac 14 inch becuase i didnt have better saws had to barrow it now i am making up for it

the ones that would not run, but usualy don't take much to get running. i like running all saws. now a working saw is a diff story.

Husqvarna 455, 61 and the 242. The 455 felt sloppy and cheaply built. The 242 had the tool less adjuster that kept melting the clutch cover to the clutch. My 61 has just been all around problematic. Leaks oil wont start
when hot funky chain brake the list just goes on.

A Stihl 056. I admit most are a hell of a saw but trying to fix one that was DOA and isn't coming back was a night mare...

Sent from my USCCADR3305 using Tapatalk 2

Cheap saws

I've used a Husky 51,55, Poulan Wild Thing :msp_sleep:,a few poulan 33ccs and Stihl 250. I've use more 55 ranchers than anything, and I hate em. They feel cheap, and half are beat to crap. They're decent for Joe, but hard work isn't em. They may work fair, but close to junk after good long work.

Poulan is not a shock. I would rather buy some old @ss non-running Dolmar or STIHL that parts are hard to find, than those.

When they quit, you might as well throw them away, like anything else, you get what you pay for.

Unlike a couple of posters, I like my 031's. I bought one of mine new 32 years ago and it was my primary saw for a lot of those years. Just built another one from 2 parts saws this summer. Not the lightest, fastest or most powerful saws in their class but they cut a lot of wood.

The one that collects dust is the Wild Thing. The POS bar and chain and the lack of anti vibe really make it suck.

Not too fond of my son in laws Echo CS440. Gutless POS that it hard to start and to keep in tune.

Latest posts

Back