Cheapest new saw that will handle a 25 inch bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cutting 30” to 40” diameter wood search the pawn shops locally for a used husky 575xp. I found a nice running 575xp for $250. All it was it was flooded from non saw people trying to start it. I took the sparkplug out turned it upside down and out with the bad gas in with the good air, by pulling the rope start. She ran as good as my new 575 does.

A 372XP is another good choice.

Im going to look at a home depot makita after work today. I figure I can put the 79cc top end on cheaper than anything else if I need more power. Once I have a bigger saw I probably won't get any more big logs lol.

Any thing I should be aware of? Or last chance to talk me out of it

Husqvarna 365?

My other son needs a saw I think this one. He has a 55cc Jonsered.

There’s a big bore kit 52mm bore but I’m not sure what it fits.

What saw or saws would you recommed?

Some more information I mostly cut down 16 to 20 inch dead ash trees and the 271 has been good enough at that. In the last year or so I have been bucking 30"+ sliver maple, ash and some bass wood that has aready been downed This has been almost beyond the poor 271 abilities

372xp. Ms461.

If you want to save money, get the Makita 6421 (or whatever it is called). Then you can upsize it later if you want.

IMHO, the Makita 6100 is the most unbalanced , nonergonomic (inventaword) saw I have ever held in my hands. I’ve only fondled one for about 10 seconds. It felt very odd to me. Maybe just me...

IMHO, the Makita 6100 is the most unbalanced , nonergonomic (inventaword) saw I have ever held in my hands. I’ve only fondled one for about 10 seconds. It felt very odd to me. Maybe just me...
Maybe cutting wood with it wouldn't feel so odd? Or holding it for ten more seconds? Your assessment is strange...

Maybe you’re right. Maybe it was me in that moment, but it felt somehow funny to me. It was a rental Makita at Home Depot that was sitting on a shelf. So I picked it up. I didn’t like the handlebar bend or the left-heavy balance.

I will hold one again sometime and see if it was the moment or not.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0761LTWJL/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_uaCdBb4MBTVYC

It's new. Might need to put another $28 and an hour of your time towards a big bore kit and you'll need to buy the 24" bar But this has to be the cheapest way to buy a brand new already functioning saw that can run a 24" bar

I'd pass on that one personally. It's a Chinese clone of a Husky. No real parts on it. I'd much rather scrounge up whatever extra it takes to buy an echo 590 than take a risk on a knock off. I'd take a real husky 365 before either of those though for what the OP describes.

If the price of a 362 or 562XP is too much, a 391 could work in a pinch. I've seen guys run 24" bars on them and they can be ordered that way from Stihl. $610 MSRP with a 24" bar, so about $500+tax

My son purchased a jonsered 55cc at tractor supply on sale. I think it was around $300. It has a 3/8” chain. It came with a 20” bar.

My other son used a wild thing for around 15 to 20 years. He’s cleaning up my land in vt so I purchased him a new Husqvarna rancher 460 / 60cc with a 24” bar he loves it and can’t thank me enough. There is a rancher 465 that’s bigger.

I thought of one I overlooked. Dolmar PS-6100. $545 straight from Amazon

Also the Echo Timberwolf. They advertise it up to 27"

My son purchased a jonsered 55cc at tractor supply on sale. I think it was around $300. It has a 3/8” chain. It came with a 20” bar.

My other son used a wild thing for around 15 to 20 years. He’s cleaning up my land in vt so I purchased him a new Husqvarna rancher 460 / 60cc with a 24” bar he loves it and can’t thank me enough. There is a rancher 465 that’s bigger.

Tractor Supply has went back to selling Husqvarna

Latest posts

Back