Check out what I found sitting around

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucko64

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone picked this up for 150.00 bucks. I could't pass on it now I am into a new splitter project. I have a few question's someone said you could use ATF fluid instead of hydro fluid what you guys think on that??anther is I measured the cylinder with a string it measured 12" would that be a 6" bore??

Congratulations, yes ATF will work just fine. It should have plenty of tonnage to split anything that will fit on it.

thanks indianasprings how about the measurement of the cylinder bore ? hear are more pics after I cleaned it up

looks to be 4 inch bore--atf will work--but universal hyd fluid is heavier weight--which means--it may push more pressure--the fluid being heavier--but your choice man

I think it's bigger than 4" bore it measure's 6 or 6.5 across i dont know though Patrick62 I put 14Hp Kohler on it and Haldex 16GPM pump on it these are some pics I still have to paint it so they arnt monted permentally yet but hear they are.The Beam was what i was looking for and found this deal..

WOW! Great work. Doesn't even look like the same splitter. ATF will be fine.

looks to be 4 inch bore--atf will work--but universal hyd fluid is heavier weight--which means--it may push more pressure--the fluid being heavier--but your choice man
heavier fluid means more pressure :dizzy: head pressure yes, but not pump pressure unless you have a severally worn pump.
I think it's bigger than 4" bore it measure's 6 or 6.5 across i dont know though Patrick62 I put 14Hp Kohler on it and Haldex 16GPM pump on it these are some pics I still have to paint it so they arnt monted permentally yet but hear they are.The Beam was what i was looking for and found this deal..
I was thinking that if its on an 8" beam, that looked closer to a 5 or 6 inch cylinder. good luck with your build. you definitely scored $150 in materials without the cylinder

thank's outlander I also have a spare cylinder to match both came off a case wheel frontloader lift cylinders case 1000 i think ill have more pics and questions im sure

Hey everyone picked this up for 150.00 bucks. I could't pass on it now I am into a new splitter project. I have a few question's someone said you could use ATF fluid instead of hydro fluid what you guys think on that??anther is I measured the cylinder with a string it measured 12" would that be a 6" bore??

Circumference = pi times diameter. Working back you get diameter = circumference divided by pi. Pi= 3.14. So 12/3.14=3.8

What you are telling us by your measurements is that you have a cyl with an outside diameter of 3.8+". If you measured right I would guess that you have a 3.5" cyl. Maybe 3.75".

You should get some very good cycle times out of this unit @ 16 gpm.

Palmrose2 something wrong with them numbers because i have a smaller splitter that i built. It has a 3" bore i now for sure .With the one i am building now the cylinder is at least twice that size its a big boy ill try to take some pics of the spare cylinder

14o23ww.jpg
nice heres one i got for$ 50.00 tom trees

tomtrees nice pick up for 50.00 thats something like I was looking for and found my project.I took a few pics of my spare cylinder I am still trying to figure bout the size of it,I will post new pics as soon as I get them put on computer..

tomtrees nice pick up for 50.00 thats something like I was looking for and found my project.I took a few pics of my spare cylinder I am still trying to figure bout the size of it,I will post new pics as soon as I get them put on computer..

yes and thanks i did non need it but for 50 tom trees:cheers:
izw3n8.jpg
heres my splitter

tomtrees, is your old one a montgomery wards 8 ton with5hp? i used to have one, was a handy lil guy.

Hey guys here are some new pics of spare cylinder and jack and hitch. I am almost ready to paint.waiting on coupler's for engine to pump they were orderd on the 11th still not here i am pissed.

The cylinder looks to be a 5" bore. If you have two squares place one on each side of the cylinder wall then measure the outside diameter. Once you have the outside diameter subtract 1/2" for total wall thickness this will give the bore size. Four inch and up usually increase in 1/2 inch increments.

Back