Chiminy liners?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freemind

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Having an old brick chiminy that runs the center of my house, I am concerned that someday, I may have a fire.

I was in a "box store" hardware the other night. The have a "chiminy liner" kit. It is basically 6" flexible stainless tubing that runs the length of your old chiminy. It didn't look any safer, and as a matter of fact, looked less safe, as creasote could build up faster.

What is everyone's opinion of these "kits"? I rent, and don't own the home, so there is no way I am going to pay for a flue job, which really would be the best.

I bought the Flex King pro from chimney liner depot.com Mine is double wall. It works great so far. I own my house but the chimney wasn't safe. You can get them off ebay. This is the most cost effective solution to old chimneys. You can get them pretty well priced on ebay too. If you don't use the pour insulation that hardens you could always pull it out if you move to another place.

Having an old brick chiminy that runs the center of my house, I am concerned that someday, I may have a fire.

I was in a "box store" hardware the other night. The have a "chiminy liner" kit. It is basically 6" flexible stainless tubing that runs the length of your old chiminy. It didn't look any safer, and as a matter of fact, looked less safe, as creasote could build up faster.

What is everyone's opinion of these "kits"? I rent, and don't own the home, so there is no way I am going to pay for a flue job, which really would be the best.

What was it about your chimney that bothered you?

What was it about your chimney that bothered you?

It is the smaller, paver type bricks. Some of the mortar is coming apart on the very top of the chiminy. I was going to do whatever repairs I need to this summer. The I got to thinking, perhaps the flue, lower down, may also have mortar coming loose.

No smoke in the house, but I am not a risk taker, when it comes to a fire. I worked hard for my "junk", and don't want to haggle with an insurance company. :dizzy:

It is the smaller, paver type bricks. Some of the mortar is coming apart on the very top of the chiminy. I was going to do whatever repairs I need to this summer. The I got to thinking, perhaps the flue, lower down, may also have mortar coming loose.

No smoke in the house, but I am not a risk taker, when it comes to a fire. I worked hard for my "junk", and don't want to haggle with an insurance company. :dizzy:

fair enough, I was just curious. I have a central brick chimney as well, built in 1920. Ive been thinking about doing something as well. I think its still solid though.

I have a 6" SS liner installed in my masonry chimney. I find it much easer to clean there for I think they are safer.

There are many dealers out there who sale chimney liner kits. Any search engine will turn up at lest 20 or so.

Here's a good post on different types of SS liner's

http://www.**********/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/9565/

It sounds to me like you have a unlined chimney;that is bricks only, and no clay liner.In that case you really need a liner.They do not foul as quickly as a clay liner because they stay hot while the fire is going.

If in fact you have only mortared brick, with no flue tile........ I wouldn't connect a woodstove to it. As said..... it really needs a stainless liner. They are cheap compared to losing everything you own (or worse) to a fire.

My neighbor burns his stove through an old unlined brick chimney that's 117 years old. He burns crap too, green wood, trash, you name it.

I am convinced someday I am going to see an Apollo 13 flame coming out of his chimney, and he had better hope that old chimney holds til the fire dept. gets there.

My neighbor burns his stove through an old unlined brick chimney that's 117 years old. He burns crap too, green wood, trash, you name it.

I am convinced someday I am going to see an Apollo 13 flame coming out of his chimney, and he had better hope that old chimney holds til the fire dept. gets there.

A stated earlier, my chimney is unlined, no tile. This chimney is older than dirt, and had a add on woodstove hooked up for years previous to me living here.

I just belive, that since the mortar is cracking at the top of the chimney, that it likely is lower as well. Perhaps I am being a nervious Nelly, but I would rather burn wood safe.

I never burn trash or green wood. The cost of lining the chimney will be born by me, and I ain't gonna have a ton-o-money to spend.. Those flex kits I mentioned earlier run about 350 for a 35' kit.

chimney lining

I had a chimney fire in a almost new clay lined brick chimney. The clay liner was pretty busted up by the thermal stress. My second floor area was still unfinished so I cut the side of the chimney open and took all the clay liner out and replaced it with 7 inch schedule 40 iron pipe. I wrapped the iron pipe with a couple inches of fiberglass insulation and bricked it back up. 25 plus years later it is still working great, it stays hot and stays clean. preseason I open the bottom up, scrape out about 2 gallons of soot, look up to make sure it still looks like a rifle barrel and use it all winter. The pipe is 28 feet flue thimble to top and it will suck the stove door shut. With an old unlined chimney you might be able to drop a pipe in from the top. If you can buy the pipe used and rent a cherry picker or small crane for the right price you can line a chimney with a bullet proof system for $4 or 5 hundred dollars, most of it for the crane. I put mine in in 9 foot pieces and welded them together, but I had the luxury of an unfinished upper floor at the time. I did catch a lot of flak from my wife for the mess though.

A stated earlier, my chimney is unlined, no tile. This chimney is older than dirt, and had a add on woodstove hooked up for years previous to me living here.

I just belive, that since the mortar is cracking at the top of the chimney, that it likely is lower as well. Perhaps I am being a nervious Nelly, but I would rather burn wood safe.

I never burn trash or green wood. The cost of lining the chimney will be born by me, and I ain't gonna have a ton-o-money to spend.. Those flex kits I mentioned earlier run about 350 for a 35' kit.

Nervous Nelly? Hell, you are looking down the barrel of a large caliber flame thrower if you use that thing.You should be nervous.Please, please,beg borrow or steal the $350.We will all sleep better.

Latest posts

Back