Chimney height ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

double E

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to install a Englander wood furnace, it will be a thru the wall install with triple wall stainless pipe. My chimney will be about 36', and I was wandering if there are any problems I may run into with a chimney that tall.

one big problem will be creating a draft. My Chimney is 32' tall installed inside and it takes me a few minutes to get a good draft going. I looked at going thru the wall and decided it would be better to install inside. The pipe will be cooler on the outside as opposed to the inside. Cooler pipe=harder to get a good draft.

If you have to go thru the wall I would build a hot quick fire with a few wads of paper and cardboard to heat up your chimney aiding in a draft.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong

Jeff

We have a 32' chimney with a insulated 5.5" liner and enough draft isn't an issue. Where problems will be is you will have a bad overdraft. Most companies test with a chimney around 14 or 15 feet tall. You will be more than double that. Contact the company and see what they recommend. Either you would benefit from a key damper in the flue, or a Barometric Damper if they recommend one. We use a baro, but here lately I have also experimented with a key damper. Im sure the company will suggest a key damper. With a chimney that tall, a baro may let too much air into the chimney causing rapid creosote buildup. Burning good dry wood and hotter fires will help eliminate creosote.

tall chimni= great draft....need a barodamper to regulate the draft because excessive draft can overfire the furnace which under the right scenario can result in a chimnifire......long story
best way to avoid chimnifire is to know the system & clean it when needed, regardless of what the stove & chimni are

Thanks for all the great info. I am researching the 2 dampers now, I have tried calling Englander but with no luck getting a hold of anyone, will try again tomorrow.
I also have one more ? I am thinking about using double wall black pipe inside, but with a 36' chimney I am not sure if it would help me or hurt me any opinions on double wall vs. single wall black pipe.

Thanks for all the great info. I am researching the 2 dampers now, I have tried calling Englander but with no luck getting a hold of anyone, will try again tomorrow.
I also have one more ? I am thinking about using double wall black pipe inside, but with a 36' chimney I am not sure if it would help me or hurt me any opinions on double wall vs. single wall black pipe.
no 2wall! its gonna make for more draft & overfiring/warp of stove......u got a TALL chimni!

36 feet of double wall pipe is gonna require quite a bunch of $$$$

Would have to do more research to see if that expense would ever be cost effective

Are you considering the sealed or the vented double wall ??

The double wall Black pipe is only inside (thru the wall install) 24" up and 18"out. The 36' is going up the side of the house with triple wall stainless.

I have a key damper after the Baro. I did this just incase there was a chimney fire I can close it , but I clean once a month so I hope I should never have to use it for this purpose.

Latest posts

Back