Cistom Splitter Build.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What pump are you running?

Motor or engine? You say 10hp motor, but the link is to a 15hp engine. IE... is this an electric or gas powered splitter?
This pump
https://ruggedmade.com/categories/h...2-stage-log-splitter-gear-pump-cbdn-16-7.htmlSorry, it is an "engine" not a "motor"
Currently a 10hp which won't even build enough pressure to kick the pump into low range without stalling. I tried backing off the unloader a bit with no noticeable change and I was scared to mess with it too much. I do not have a gauge in the system yet.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Didn't mean to be "that guy". I figured it was gas engine powered, but there are plenty of electric motor powered splitters too.

Looking at the pump specs, a 10hp should work.

22gpm to 600psi
6.7 gpm to 3000 psi.

22gpm at 600psi needs about 8hp.
6.7gpm at 3000psi needs about 11.75hp...
10hp would do about 2500psi.

Didn't mean to be "that guy". I figured it was gas engine powered, but there are plenty of electric motor powered splitters too.

Looking at the pump specs, a 10hp should work.

22gpm to 600psi
6.7 gpm to 3000 psi.

22gpm at 600psi needs about 8hp.
6.7gpm at 3000psi needs about 11.75hp...
10hp would do about 2500psi.
It works until it needs to "work" meaning it will split wood but as soon as I get into anything twisted or knotty it stalls the engine.
My little speeco splitter with 8 hp and 16gpm pump i can dead head it and it will bypass the valve. I've never put a log in it yet that it won't power through.

I would put a gauge on it and see what pressure its running I ran a 22 GPM on a 10 HP kohler for years and it had no problem pulling the pump your motor must be real tired. I have only used the HF knock off engines and so far they have held up good.

I'm starting to question if something is wrong with the pump.

The company I bought the pump from, when I bought the pump, there specs said 10hp minimum, 11hp suggested. They have since changed the specs to say minimum required horsepower is 11.75. Do you think this engine will be up to the task? I honestly can't really afford anything better. I've sunk a ton of money into this project already. Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

You maybe could find a CL used motor or do a little side job and make what money you need to get a decent power plant. With your welding skills put in a CL notice and you could make some extra money. Thanks

I have a gauge coming this afternoon. I will report back with my findings.

You maybe could find a CL used motor or do a little side job and make what money you need to get a decent power plant. With your welding skills put in a CL notice and you could make some extra money. Thanks
I already run a small engine repair business on the side lol. Thats how I got the money for this project in the first place.
As far as used motors go, I see very few horizontal shaft engines around here, the largest are usually 10hp snow blower engines, that's where I got this one.
I would have to re do everything to run a vertical shaft.

Yep, horizontal shaft engines are low number applications.
Again, somebody needing a small diesel or maybe a B&S Vanguard used golf/turf equipment is out there.
I know of a few Chondas (Predator @Harbor Freight) that were retrofitted and performed well. The other expense to sometimes consider is custom exhaust configuration.
$250.00 for that HP is beyond cheap.
I have no working knowledge of splitters but have installed trap hauling systems in marine environments. Guys thought bigger GPM was better but resulted in needing larger diameter plumbing to keep heat in check. I'm thinking flow equates to cycle time?
Anyway, thanks for sharing your project and keep us notified of your results. I appreciate your efforts.

Higher flow means quicker. Also can mean more expensive valves, hoses, etc.

I suspect most box store type splitters are sized to keep prices reasonable.

Yep, horizontal shaft engines are low number applications.
Again, somebody needing a small diesel or maybe a B&S Vanguard used golf/turf equipment is out there.
I know of a few Chondas (Predator @Harbor Freight) that were retrofitted and performed well. The other expense to sometimes consider is custom exhaust configuration.
$250.00 for that HP is beyond cheap.
I have no working knowledge of splitters but have installed trap hauling systems in marine environments. Guys thought bigger GPM was better but resulted in needing larger diameter plumbing to keep heat in check. I'm thinking flow equates to cycle time?
Anyway, thanks for sharing your project and keep us notified of your results. I appreciate your efforts.
Higher flow means quicker. Also can mean more expensive valves, hoses, etc.

I suspect most box store type splitters are sized to keep prices reasonable.
I sized everything according to this pump. All 3/4 inch pressure lines, valve is rated 25gpm return filter is 30gpm. Even had the ports cut off the cylinder and 3/4 ports welded on. I have a little more than 15 gallons of system capacity so heat shouldn't be much issue. With the hydraulic work I already have a lot of money in this project lol.

I sized everything according to this pump. All 3/4 inch pressure lines, valve is rated 25gpm return filter is 30gpm. Even had the ports cut off the cylinder and 3/4 ports welded on. I have a little more than 15 gallons of system capacity so heat shouldn't be much issue. With the hydraulic work I already have a lot of money in this project lol. Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

You need to complete project with all matching system. Ask me how I know. I have kicked my self more than once thinking I would be happy cutting corners near completion. Thanks

You need to complete project with all matching system. Ask me how I know. I have kicked my self more than once thinking I would be happy cutting corners near completion. Thanks
What are you suggesting that doesn't match at this point? The pump, filter, and valve where all bought together as a kit. I am running 3/4 inch pressure line, 1 inch return line, and 1 1/4 inch suction line as specified by the pump specs.
Cylinder us 4inch bore 48imch stroke and should be sufficient for what I need. I wasn't looking for more power over my speeco that has a 4 inch cylinder, just more speed.

I sized everything according to this pump. All 3/4 inch pressure lines, valve is rated 25gpm return filter is 30gpm. Even had the ports cut off the cylinder and 3/4 ports welded on. I have a little more than 15 gallons of system capacity so heat shouldn't be much issue. With the hydraulic work I already have a lot of money in this project lol.

The engine should be enough. The calculations figure for worst case scenario, where the engine will need to maintain that pressure indefinitely.

One thing that really help with speed is a cylinder with a large rod.
Not sure why they aren't available off the shelf, at least not that I've found.

30gph filter on the return may not be enough.
Did you factor in flow on cylinder return?
A 4" cylinder with 2" rod will retract at around 33gpm. 2.5" rod, about 36gpm

The engine should be enough. The calculations figure for worst case scenario, where the engine will need to maintain that pressure indefinitely.

One thing that really help with speed is a cylinder with a large rod.
Not sure why they aren't available off the shelf, at least not that I've found.

30gph filter on the return may not be enough.
Did you factor in flow on cylinder return?
A 4" cylinder with 2" rod will retract at around 33gpm. 2.5" rod, about 36gpm
The filter may be higher than that, I forget, its the biggest one the company I bought the valve and pump from had.

My friend dropped the off the gauge and applicable fittings tonight. It will be the weekend before I can get it set up but I will report back with my findings.
He only had a 3k gauge in stock but it should be fine. The relief in the valve supposedly is factory set a 2500 psi and I don't see myself exceeding that.

What exactly would I be looking for to tell if the pump is kicking down in the way of a gauge reading? I would assume I would see a rapid pressure rise to the kick down point the a noticeable slowdown in pressure rise after the unloader opens is that correct?

Back