Cistom Splitter Build.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Mudd is your firewood processor project turning into a wood splitter?
I actually sold it to a guy in WV. I built the wedge and beam and he is putting it on his trailer. He has a 4cyl kubota engine he is using. I just talked to him a little while ago. I am trying to convince him into adding a saw and making it into a processor, but not having much luck. Its easy for me to spend his money with my suggestions, getting him to actually spend it is another matter. I plan on visiting him once he has it completed, I just want to see it run.

Someone say tonnage. 107354lb, 53.5 tons actual push force, twin 4.5in cyl. 20/40 gpm double pump setup as a high/low. 65hp kubota engine. 12way box wedge.View attachment 853922
Did you just use one cylinder for return stroke, to speed it up? Been thinking about my log splitter 2.0 and running tandem cylinders, opposed to a large single cylinder.

Did you just use one cylinder for return stroke, to speed it up? Been thinking about my log splitter 2.0 and running tandem cylinders, opposed to a large single cylinder.
No, both cyl pull on the return stroke. While one could make it where just one cyl pulled on return, the cyl just being dragged back still has to dump its oil back to tank, and the opposite end of the bore would need to fill with oil. It can be done, but not worth the effort, or added cost, in my opinion. I think the velocity at which the returning oil flows back to tank would probably cause aeration and foaming and possibly contribute to pump cavitation. At any rate, the cyl are 32in stroke and will be receiving 60gpm flow and total cycle time will be around 8 sec if I remember right. Trying to save another second in cycle time isnt worth the effort.

Hmm, I see your point, i was thinking more along the line of coupling a single acting cylinder with a double acting cylinder. No need to fill the single acting cylinder on the return stroke. But in your set up, you deffinatly have the flow and power to not have to worry about it.

Hmm, I see your point, i was thinking more along the line of coupling a single acting cylinder with a double acting cylinder. No need to fill the single acting cylinder on the return stroke. But in your set up, you deffinatly have the flow and power to not have to worry about it.
Not my setup anymore. I do see your point of using a single acting cyl. It still would be dumping a lot of oil back to tank.

I saw a splitter a couple years ago that the guy added a sliding table, attached to the push plate.
The split pieces fell to the sides, onto the table, and returned with the push plate.
Not sure how he did it, but could have been fixed table, with sliding table on top of it.
He did huge chunks from monster rounds, split with a home made splitter on a backhoe boom.
Split the rounds, loaded the chunks into the backhoe bucket, and staged bucket up to splitter.
He split into an oversized tele handler bucket and piled mountains with the tele handler, twenty feet high easy.

Back