Cistom Splitter Build.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you suggesting that doesn't match at this point? The pump, filter, and valve where all bought together as a kit. I am running 3/4 inch pressure line, 1 inch return line, and 1 1/4 inch suction line as specified by the pump specs.
Cylinder us 4inch bore 48imch stroke and should be sufficient for what I need. I wasn't looking for more power over my speeco that has a 4 inch cylinder, just more speed.

The company I bought the pump from, when I bought the pump, there specs said 10hp minimum, 11hp suggested. They have since changed the specs to say minimum required horsepower is 11.75.
Do you think this engine will be up to the task? I honestly can't really afford anything better. I've sunk a ton of money into this project already.

You suggested that a 10 HP engine is not the power plant you prefer, because cost could be an issue. My suggestion was you have come this far do not stop now, If you install a motor that might not be adequate you would be disappointed. Thanks

It should hit around 600psi and then be in low flow until relief pressure.

Ok, so here's what I have on the guage, this is up against a crotch piece of wood. I'm not stalling the motor anymore but if I try to turn up the bypass in the valve anymore it will. Does this seem like the pump is kicking down? Am I correct in assuming my 10hp would not be able to make this pressure with the pump in high range?

I'm fully prepared at this point to go buy a larger motor so I can up the pressure a little if thats what needs to happen.
I'm really curious now what pressures my little speeco runs because I'm sure it would split this without hesitation. I replaced the valve on the speeco with an ebay special but never messed with pressures, it is running a 16GPM pump from the same company on an 8hp motor with the same size cylinder.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

It should hit around 600psi and then be in low flow until relief pressure.
The company I bought the pump from, when I bought the pump, there specs said 10hp minimum, 11hp suggested. They have since changed the specs to say minimum required horsepower is 11.75.
Do you think this engine will be up to the task? I honestly can't really afford anything better. I've sunk a ton of money into this project already.

You suggested that a 10 HP engine is not the power plant you prefer, because cost could be an issue. My suggestion was you have come this far do not stop now, If you install a motor that might not be adequate you would be disappointed. Thanks
Anyone? Lol

What is the rating on the pressure gauge when the cylinder stalls? I can’t see the gauge face because of the glare. What is the reading if you increase the relief valve setting enough to stall the motor?

About 2200psi. If I go much higher it stalls the engine.
Thinking I need more engine, but I want to make sure the pump is healthy before I spend on an engine, the pump is new so the company will be getting a call if we determine it isn't working correctly.

The video is blurry on my end so can't see the gauge readings.
Assuming it's a 3k psi gauge, I'd guess it's getting into the 2000+ psi area?

You mentioned the cylinder was modified. Was it repacked then too?

Something is causing the pressure relief valve to "chatter".

About 2200psi. If I go much higher it stalls the engine.
Thinking I need more engine, but I want to make sure the pump is healthy before I spend on an engine, the pump is new so the company will be getting a call if we determine it isn't working correctly.

2200psi isn't too bad. Engine doesn't seem like it's lugging down much in the video, unless that's the chatter noise I'm hearing?
Did you record it with an old school flip phone?

The engine calculator says 6.7gpm and 10hp should be able to do right around 2550psi.

The video is blurry on my end so can't see the gauge readings.
Assuming it's a 3k psi gauge, I'd guess it's getting into the 2000+ psi area?

You mentioned the cylinder was modified. Was it repacked then too?

Something is causing the pressure relief valve to "chatter".
The cylinder was repacked and a new piston was machined for it too. As well as 3/4" ports added.
I'm starting to think the engine is just tired.

I went ahead and ordered a new engine, figured what the heck. Im also going to buy a pump mount bracket that bolts right to the engine instead of the homemade setup I have. I don't think it is lined up quite right because it already wiped the rubber spider out in the lovejoy coupler.

I went ahead and ordered a new engine, figured what the heck. Im also going to buy a pump mount bracket that bolts right to the engine instead of the homemade setup I have. I don't think it is lined up quite right because it already wiped the rubber spider out in the lovejoy coupler.

4" cylinder?

2200psi makes that about 14 tons of force. That should be able to split most logs without fuss.

Bumping it to 2800psi is right around 17.5 tons.

4" cylinder?

2200psi makes that about 14 tons of force. That should be able to split most logs without fuss.

Bumping it to 2800psi is right around 17.5 tons.
Yes, it is a 4 inch cylinder.
That being said, I wonder what pressure my Speeco runs at. It is a 4inch cylinder, and I've never been able to stop it in any wood.

Yes, it is a 4 inch cylinder.
That being said, I wonder what pressure my Speeco runs at. It is a 4inch cylinder, and I've never been able to stop it in any wood.

I'd imagine in the 2000-2500psi area.

I've seen some splitters claiming numbers that didn't make sense.

Saw a "40 ton" splitter a while back, had a 5" cylinder.
It'd need to be over 4000psi for that. It suspect it had a std 3000psi max pump, so likely was about 25 tons.

My firewood processor is about 20 tons. It's rare that I jam it up, and it's got a 6 way wedge.

I'd imagine in the 2000-2500psi area.

I've seen some splitters claiming numbers that didn't make sense.

Saw a "40 ton" splitter a while back, had a 5" cylinder.
It'd need to be over 4000psi for that. It suspect it had a std 3000psi max pump, so likely was about 25 tons.

My firewood processor is about 17.5 tons. It's rare that I jam it up, and it's got a 6 way wedge.
My speeco is advertised as a 22 ton.

My speeco is advertised as a 22 ton.

Would need about 3600psi to do 22 tons on a 4" cylinder.
Most splitters use 3000psi max pumps. The pressure relief might be set to 2500psi.

I bet it's more like 15-16 tons real world.
The tonnage ratings seem to often be just as bad as shop vac horsepower.
An actual 6hp shop vac would probably suck dirt from the next room over.

Would need about 3600psi to do 22 tons on a 4" cylinder.
Most splitters use 3000psi max pumps. The pressure relief might be set to 2500psi.

I bet it's more like 15-16 tons real world.
The tonnage ratings seem to often be just as bad as shop vac horsepower.
An actual 6hp shop vac would probably suck dirt from the next room over.
Haha, I often wondered about the tonnage ratings, I figured they where a bit overdone.

My Lovejoy rubber spider is 25 years old and looks fine. You've got an alignment issue.

Haha, I often wondered about the tonnage ratings, I figured they where a bit overdone.

I have gone to look at many seventy ton splitters or were told this baby is at least seventy ton capacity. I do not start a conversation as I leave. Most heavy duty I beams will twist and turn way way before one hits fifty tons. My beefed up 12'' I beam flops all around when one hits full throttle and a large knot. Thanks

Back